General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, yumeaki said:

I think what @barbara meant was to find a hotel near the venue which can provide documentation is a bit hard cos like what she and @Pammi stated, I have also heard accommodation near the venue are quite fully booked. Any hotel can help you with the letter, not necessary must be those near the venue. If anyone planning to go, my suggestion is to first book a hotel with free cancellation policy and then check if they provide letter of invite. I recall one hotel I asked gave me a 3rd party link telling me I can get letter of invite from there since the hotel doesn't provide. 

I definitely wish to go to Beijing Olys but there's words that China will still have quarantine requirement until end of next year. I'm not sure how my boss will feel about me working remotely in hotel for Yuzu (even though he knew I like him :lol:).  And can Yuzu join another comp in Canada after the Olys season? my ETA to Canada applied for last year Montreal WC will expire next year. I really do wish to go visit Canada...

Ok, priority. First wish should be for this pandemic to F off. I am quite tired of all the restriction caused by dear corona.

I do also want to try to attend OG.

Does anybody know if you can apply as a group to get tickets? Or is it a lottery like in Japan competitions?

10 hours ago, Toni said:

I was in a ballet troupe when I was young. Pain is just part of the life for certain professions. You know how Yuzu laughed as he showed his black and blue knee to that lady in the video? That's actually a typical reaction to injury. Dancers show off injuries like they're old soldiers, bragging about war wounds. You should see the feet of prima ballerinas. I was never that good, so my feet never got as mutilated as theirs, but I remember the odd pride they had, showing off their injuries. Don't worry, Yuzu will be alright, even if he has to stop skating due to injury. Never forget, this is the life he CHOSE, with full knowledge of the dangers.

Yes, thank you. He will be all right. We all will it to be so and it shall be so! We all go through life with injuries, traumas, and pain. Yuzu's just happens to be broadcasted to everyone all over the planet. We may feel pain to see him in physical pain but must also cheer him on and accept that he sees them as part of his chosen career. Pain is part of life indeed!

2 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

Hey everyone, we're planning to hold a #YuzuSkatingParty this Saturday! It'll be fun, join us!! ^^

Thank you very much in advance for the organization. I'm already looking forward to it.   :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

12 hours ago, barbara said:

Okay - I've never uploaded anything to Google Drive and am clueless if this will work...  To be fair to the other PW poster, the lighting was very weird in the arena for the SCI Gala, so clarity isn't magnificent.  Also, I stopped recording as soon as he was done so I could scream appropriately and not be messing with my iPhone (and, yes, this was with an iPhone6).  For me, it's especially sweet to know who those loudest screams are from (just behind me).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12d3pMeNNkKEb8VpAV7W83O1Tlz7GQz2n/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the upload. The screams have definitely given Yuzu even more "energy". : leg:

There is a Sky news (UK) report today on the coronavirus AND vaccination situation in Russia - for those interested (given recent CoR conversations!) it's hidden below (it's not good - some hospital scenes of ICU too so WARNING if you are sensitive to this):

Spoiler

12 hours ago, barbara said:

Okay - I've never uploaded anything to Google Drive and am clueless if this will work...  To be fair to the other PW poster, the lighting was very weird in the arena for the SCI Gala, so clarity isn't magnificent.  Also, I stopped recording as soon as he was done so I could scream appropriately and not be messing with my iPhone (and, yes, this was with an iPhone6).  For me, it's especially sweet to know who those loudest screams are from (just behind me).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12d3pMeNNkKEb8VpAV7W83O1Tlz7GQz2n/view?usp=sharing

You just gave us all a front row seat at SCI gala, watching this iconic programme THANK YOUUUUUU!!! I even did a bit of my own screaming there watching that lol!! Bookmarked immediately !!

3 hours ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Could someone confirm for me whether Rostelecom is going to take place at the Iceberg thingy, in Adler, near Sochi? I'm usually good with handling these things - especially having worked for a hotel booking website in the past but not having travelled in over a year has made me horribly rusty and I'm constantly doubting myself :14066882:

Yes thats the venue :)

The CoC14 situation is terrifying and honestly I agree with the idea that the decision shouldn't be (entirely) left up to the skater/coach, or at the very least there should be a proper protocol and procedure. Symptoms of a concussion can take hours or days to appear. One of the reasons that it is strongly recommended for athletes to not return to sports after head injury is that the symptoms of hitting their head the first time may lead to a second injury, which usually causes fatal brain swelling. It's a rare situation (second impact syndrome) and obviously it depends on how the doctor in the arena weighed the probabilities, but simply the idea that his disorientation from the clash (whether it was due to a full blown concussion or not) could have lead to one of the falls on the jumps giving him a SECOND, much much worse injury.... yea, it's super scary and honestly really lucky that everything turned out well in the end. Of course I admire his incredible

bravery and tenacity because he got through everything by sheer force of will but I can't imagine the trust and faith that Brian had in him and his lucky stars to manage that bc if I was his coach I would've been begging him to not do it.

11 hours ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

I'm sorry, because since I write in French and I then have it translated into English and I saw, too, that some French words and phrases are poorly translated and I quoted your text in English, but then, I have to go through Le Français again and that would translate your text into French again and I hope you understand what I'm explaining SORRY SO where then, tell me how to do it? 

Don't worry, it's easy. Just duplicate the tab before you comment. On one tab, choose "Quote." Now it's ready for your reply. Leave it blank for a moment. Go to the other tab and translate it. Write your reply, then translate it. Copy your English response and paste it in the other tab, under the quote. That way, you won't change the original text. Have a great day :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sha said:

Yes, thank you. He will be all right. We all will it to be so and it shall be so! We all go through life with injuries, traumas, and pain. Yuzu's just happens to be broadcasted to everyone all over the planet. We may feel pain to see him in physical pain but must also cheer him on and accept that he sees them as part of his chosen career. Pain is part of life indeed!

True, true.

55 minutes ago, hope-and-yuzu said:

The CoC14 situation is terrifying and honestly I agree with the idea that the decision shouldn't be (entirely) left up to the skater/coach, or at the very least there should be a proper protocol and procedure. Symptoms of a concussion can take hours or days to appear. One of the reasons that it is strongly recommended for athletes to not return to sports after head injury is that the symptoms of hitting their head the first time may lead to a second injury, which usually causes fatal brain swelling. It's a rare situation (second impact syndrome) and obviously it depends on how the doctor in the arena weighed the probabilities, but simply the idea that his disorientation from the clash (whether it was due to a full blown concussion or not) could have lead to one of the falls on the jumps giving him a SECOND, much much worse injury.... yea, it's super scary and honestly really lucky that everything turned out well in the end. Of course I admire his incredible

bravery and tenacity because he got through everything by sheer force of will but I can't imagine the trust and faith that Brian had in him and his lucky stars to manage that bc if I was his coach I would've been begging him to not do it.

They followed the protocols. He was properly evaluated for concussion before being given the choice to skate. On the recordings, Brian told him repeatedly that he didn't have to do it, and that his health was more important. Yuzu was given all the information he needed to make his decision. He was also extremely well experienced in injury management from many years of falling on the ice. If you've ever been in a bad accident, you know you feel disoriented even if you don't hit your head. The Doctor also told Yuzu he didn't have a concussion. By the time he got back on the ice, he seemed perfectly lucid to me. He actually did a magnificent job, not forgetting anything he needed to do. He nailed the choreo and step sequences. I believe the falls were because of the sprained ankle and injured thigh, not disorientation. If I was Yuzu's coach, I would remember how intelligent and knowledgeable Yuzu is, and I would trust him 100%.

5 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I came here to post something else, but here is a gist of how things happened from Brian's point of view based on チーム・ブライアン 新たな旅(Team Brian/New Journey) released in 2018 and an interview aired shortly after CoC:

After the collision, Brian wanted to run to Yuzu and see if he was OK, but he couldn't because there is a rule that bars any coach or staff from getting on the ice during 6-minutes warmups. The organizer didn't interrupt the warmup or send medical staff immediately, so Brian yelled, "He needs medical staff!" "Call the medical staff! Get him a doctor!" again and again. 

After several minutes, the Chinese medical staff finally got on the ice, but to Brian's surprise, they tried to get Yuzu up as soon as they got there. Brian was upset because it is dangerous to move someone when they fell on the ice and hit their head. What they should have done was to ask Yuzu if he was OK first, then see if he could get up by himself and check if he was really OK. So Brian asked the U.S. team for help, and their team doctor came and checked Yuzu's condition.

She examined him mainly by an interview and diagnosed that Yuzu was not going through a concussion and that among all the injuries, the left thigh injury was the most severe. However, the doctor didn't make any suggestion as to whether Yuzu should compete or withdraw, because such a decision should be left up to the skater and their coaching team.

Withdrawal meant no GPF, but Brian thought Yuzu's physical and mental condition was more important. Brian told Yuzu not to strain himself, that there was no need to worry over withdrawal because it was not a big deal, that there was no need to be a hero there. However, Yuzu was determined to compete no matter what. Yuzu's mother was also upset and worried about him, so Yuzu went to talk to her after receiving first-aid treatment.

(I am not sure if there is footage on YouTube, TV Asahi camera also captured Brian trying to persuade Yuzu to reconsider, to prioritize his health, saying, "Only you know (your real condition.) You don't have to be a hero. Your health comes first" during resumed warmup)

By skating through the FS with numerous falls, Yuzu finished 2nd and qualified to GPF. However, Brian could not be relieved until Yuzu went back to Japan to get a thorough check-up and told him that there was no brain damage and that the other injuries would not affect his career as a skater.

Later, ISU discussed how they should respond to such accidents, and Brian suggested that ISU should not leave the decision to continue or withdraw up to the skater or the coaching team. In Yuzu's case, the decision had not been made when he got back on the ice to resume warmup. Before resuming the warmup, Brian told them that Yuzu was not necessarily going to compete even though he took part in the warmup and that Yuzu and his team would make the decision after seeing if it would really be OK. However, once Yuzu came back on the ice, the audience cheered for him loudly and passionately. Brian thought Yuzu would not be able to say, "Actually, I withdraw because my body hurts" after receiving such support. That is why Brian suggested that the ISU should not leave the decision up to the skater and their team. He thought it was difficult for skater and their team to make such a decision after such an accident.

Yuzu's take on this accident and what he went through afterward can be read in Aoi Honoo II. His description regarding the decision here doesn't contradict Brian's so much. According to Yuzu, the doctor also said that he could skate because he didn't have a concussion, but she would not recommend it.

Aoi Honoo II has an English translation by a fan.

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/171947689783/aoi-hono-ii-english-translations

Because of the pandemic, it may be hard to order a book from Japan now, but I hope you read his autobiographies when you have a chance if you haven't read them already, not because you can consult it when you do some fact-check, but because it truly is a good read.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Thank you so much for the details and sources. I read all of these sources, and both autobiographies, but I have a terrible memory for where I learned any given fact. This comment is SO useful!

2 hours ago, hope-and-yuzu said:

I think that today this kind of collision, and the force of it, and his immediate disorientation, would be enough for him to not allowed back on the ice.  But then the ISU has demonstrated less regard for the health (especially long term health) than any sports organization I can think of.  I think of Natasha Richardson (actress, Vanessa Redgrave's daughter, Liam Neeson's wife) who had one spill while learning to ski and hit her head.  She seemed fine, didn't go to the hospital and ended up dead.  I don't know if she'd have been okay if she'd immediately gotten medical treatment but it was a wakeup call for a lot of people. 

It really is amazing that Yuzu could skate and continue getting up, fall after fall, and do so well.  He is tenacious and refuses to give up.  But I hope people are paying more attention to head injuries these days.

16 hours ago, barbara said:

This is awesome!! Would you mind posting it in our video library? 😍