General Yuzuru Chat

I had an interesting talk with a good friend today, who is working in a local bookstore. She said that the English book market (especially eBooks and paperbacks) is growing very fast here in Germany and there are many excellent professional translators of foreign books into English, Japanese included.

I asked her, if it's possible to get Aoi Hono or other books about Yuzu translated into English and she said, if the interest is huge and the licensing not too complicated, it might happen. Especially now that it's the 10 year anniversary of Tohoku 3-11, which fits the content of Aoi Hono, and that we are heading towards the Olympic season, some publishers might be very interested. But we have to take the initiative and suggest the books ourselves, ideally with a quick resonance of general interest (maybe per likes on twitter or some sort of petition).

Do you think, it's worth a try?

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I had an interesting talk with a good friend today, who is working in a local bookstore. She said that the English book market (especially eBooks and paperbacks) is growing very fast here in Germany and there are many excellent professional translators of foreign books into English, Japanese included.

I asked her, if it's possible to get Aoi Hono or other books about Yuzu translated into English and she said, if the interest is huge and the licensing not too complicated, it might happen. Especially now that it's the 10 year anniversary of Tohoku 3-11, which fits the content of Aoi Hono, and that we are heading towards the Olympic season, some publishers might be very interested. But we have to take the initiative and suggest the books ourselves, ideally with a quick resonance of general interest (maybe per likes on twitter or some sort of petition).

It may be worth a try, but I also know someone has already translated at least one of Aoi Hono books completely. All she asks is you purchase it and send her a copy of your book. Then she sends her complete translation.

I did it a few years ago and her translation quality (imo) was really good.

I know money is tight for some, so I'm not trying to be insensitive.

12 minutes ago, Kat said:

It may be worth a try, but I also know someone has already translated at least one of Aoi Hono books completely. All she asks is you purchase it and send her a copy of your book. Then she sends her complete translation.

I did it a few years ago and her translation quality (imo) was really good.

I know money is tight for some, so I'm not trying to be insensitive.

Interesting. Just a picture of the books I have? I bought both bio when I was in Japan.... already two years ago. Thank you Kat!

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Yes, I think this is worth pursuing, but I would suggest taking a different approach.  As others have noted, it would be important to contact the person who has already translated Aoi Honoo into English since she generously provided her time and effort free of charge.  She had done this to ensure that people will buy the original Japanese version, the proceeds of which go toward Sendai Ice Rink recovery fund.  Respecting her efforts, she should be involved in any initiative to publish an English version of the book. 

I am not familiar with the publishing world so I am speculating on what it would take to do this.  It would probably require getting in touch with an overseas publisher which would be willing to support the translation and agree to transfer part of the proceeds to a relevant Tohoku recovery fund.  Perhaps we could ask for a fanyu who is familiar with the publishing world to help out with this step?  (Courtney Milan might be willing to give us advice?) 

I think it's long overdue to get Aoi Honoo translated into English and thereby introduce Yuzu to the wider, non-skating world.  The Tenth Anniversary of the disaster would be a good occasion to launch this project! 

11 hours ago, barbara said:

Quakes all around the "ring of fire" lately - Japan, New Zealand, California, even Iceland....

We have had some in British Columbia as well. Coastal BC is a hotbed of seismic activity and we are at risk for a mega quake.

Increased seismic activity, climate change and global warming, polar ice caps melting at alarming rates, ocean levels and temperatures rising, food chain at risk of collapsing, global pandemic… Do you think Mother Nature is trying to tell us something?

Add to that rising nationalism throughout the world, Trumpism and virtual Civil War in the United States, the highest level of tension between the most powerful nuclear equipped countries in the world since the Cold War…

How lucky we Satellites are to have Yuzuru Hanyu at a time like this…

If only the leaders of the world were as globally and environmentally aware, selfless, generous, intelligent, all-embracing and positively motivated as Yuzuru Hanyu…

2 hours ago, Muralla17 said:

Interesting. Just a picture of the books I have? I bought both bio when I was in Japan.... already two years ago. Thank you Kat!

Correct. Just a picture of the book. I sent her a picture of Aoi Hono 2 (the one I have), unsure if she did the first one. I'd have to look.

9 hours ago, Yuzu_legend said:

Google translation: “Yuzuru Hanyu's poster communication, everyone at Tome City Yoneyama Higashi Elementary School. "There are many students who are seniors from the prefecture, who support and long for them, and the news of Hanyu is always a hot topic. I will tell the students that disasters can occur at any time." I received.”

And the written message says: “Thank you(orange) for the dream(pink) and hope(yellow).” :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Is not Yuzuru Hanyu's father from Tome?

@Kat @Umebachi Yes, I remember that full translation and I think, it's a great solution to show your Japanese copy and get the translation in return. I fully agree that this person should be consulted before we take any further steps. Also, whoever the potential publisher might be, a part of the proceeds should go to the Tohoku region as it happens with the original Japanese version as well. This will probably lower our chances to find a publisher, but anything else would be a betrayal of Yuzu and his efforts.

I have not purchased Aoi Hono myself yet (mainly because I've never bought anything on Amazon in my life and I never will, voluntarily). The other reason is: as much as I'd like to support Sendai with my money, I don't want to purchase a book that I can't read. Just to put it on my shelf and occasionally flip through the pictures... It's a bit too expensive for that, indeed.

I think, Aoi Hono I+II and the quotation books would be quite successful in English, if I look at the sheer size of Yuzu's worldwide fanbase and the absolute lack of products related to Yuzu in American and European stores.

I'd like to share a story from last year (I think, many western fans can relate) :dontdothistome:

I went to the local Mayersche bookstore and checked every single shelf about sports, art and people. One of the employees looked quite compassionately and asked me, if I was looking for something specific. I told her about Yuzu and she asked me to follow her to the info center. She searched for 'Yuzuru Hanyu' in the database of the bookstore and there were exactly three entries: the annual Guiness Book of World Records (Yuzu was mentioned in the WR tables and a small textbox), a book about the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi and one about Pyeongchang. No bios, no magazines, no photobooks, no merchandise. Nothing. Not even orderable from overseas.

I bought the book about Pyeongchang, 152 pages (with Yuzu mentioned on page 68), and went home. Smiling.

51 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

@Kat @Umebachi Yes, I remember that full translation and I think, it's a great solution to show your Japanese copy and get the translation in return. I fully agree that this person should be consulted before we take any further steps. Also, whoever the potential publisher might be, a part of the proceeds should go to the Tohoku region as it happens with the original Japanese version as well. This will probably lower our chances to find a publisher, but anything else would be a betrayal of Yuzu and his efforts.

I have not purchased Aoi Hono myself yet (mainly because I've never bought anything on Amazon in my life and I never will, voluntarily). The other reason is: as much as I'd like to support Sendai with my money, I don't want to purchase a book that I can't read. Just to put it on my shelf and occasionally flip through the pictures... It's a bit too expensive for that, indeed.

I think, Aoi Hono I+II and the quotation books would be quite successful in English, if I look at the sheer size of Yuzu's worldwide fanbase and the absolute lack of products related to Yuzu in American and European stores.

I'd like to share a story from last year (I think, many western fans can relate) :dontdothistome:

I went to the local Mayersche bookstore and checked every single shelf about sports, art and people. One of the employees looked quite compassionately and asked me, if I was looking for something specific. I told her about Yuzu and she asked me to follow her to the info center. She searched for 'Yuzuru Hanyu' in the database of the bookstore and there were exactly three entries: the annual Guiness Book of World Records (Yuzu was mentioned in the WR tables and a small textbox), a book about the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi and one about Pyeongchang. No bios, no magazines, no photobooks, no merchandise. Nothing. Not even orderable from overseas.

I bought the book about Pyeongchang, 152 pages (with Yuzu mentioned on page 68), and went home. Smiling.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I bought it via CD Japan and it wasnt bad-back then though I could do snail shipping because the virus wasnt around, so even shipping wasnt bad. It was more a kanji learning aide w/pretty pictures for me. Finding out about a translation a fan did was a huge bonus though.

I do agree though, I think if his book was translated, fans here would buy it, but as you mentioned, having some proceeds go to the rink and region may make it difficult.

2 hours ago, Kat said:

Correct. Just a picture of the book. I sent her a picture of Aoi Hono 2 (the one I have), unsure if she did the first one. I'd have to look.

I have two books, Aoi Honoo and Aoi Hono II, and I got both translations from two different persons. I have both email addresses - if anyone needs them, please let me know.

I have to share this, before I say goodbye for today:

I've been working in my room for quite a while. Suddenly mom comes in and says: 'You did so much today. Do you not want to take a break and watch a bit Yuzu with me in the living room?' ... how can I say no to that? :cri:

I think the translator for Aoi Hono II actually helped work on doing a Vietnamese translation that was used for publication and sale, so she may be able to answer whether or not a portion of the proceeds get donated. I think the donation itself is not advertised as being linked to the books and it might be something Yuzu just decides to do on his own, as far as I know for the Japanese books it's never been advertised as benefiting Ice Rink Sendai so maybe as long as Yuzu gets a royalty for each book sold that will address donation of proceeds indirectly.

Shipping options from Japan are really limited right now so the cost is high, but when I initially bought my books it wasn't too bad. I actually think an e-book version of the biographies may work better for sales and production in English, although I like having physical copies.

5 hours ago, kiches said:

I think the translator for Aoi Hono II actually helped work on doing a Vietnamese translation that was used for publication and sale, so she may be able to answer whether or not a portion of the proceeds get donated. I think the donation itself is not advertised as being linked to the books and it might be something Yuzu just decides to do on his own, as far as I know for the Japanese books it's never been advertised as benefiting Ice Rink Sendai so maybe as long as Yuzu gets a royalty for each book sold that will address donation of proceeds indirectly.

Shipping options from Japan are really limited right now so the cost is high, but when I initially bought my books it wasn't too bad. I actually think an e-book version of the biographies may work better for sales and production in English, although I like having physical copies.

Yuzu donated all of his royalties from the original Japanese "Aoi Hono" and "Aoi Hono 2" to Ice Rink Sendai:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/157848218067

That is how Ice Rink Sendai benefited from the sale of the original Japanese autobiographies.

Does Yuzu continue to receive royalties on the translations of these autobiographies?

34 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Does Yuzu continue to receive royalties on the translations of these autobiographies?

Stuff like this would be the actual sticking point for any published English translation.  Basically the publishing company doing the translation would have to buy rights to translate and publish, and would have to be able to sell sufficient copies to make the venture worthwhile. 

I think I'll just keep plugging away at learning to read Japanese,  myself. I know it's not an option for everyone but in the long run it's more useful to know the language.