General Yuzuru Chat

I wonder if Yuzu's mom would be allowed back into the country with him. He has an essential reason. She technically does not. Same with the other skaters who are over 18 but had a parent with them, like Evgenia and Jun. For younger ones like Utana (or Rika) you could potentially say that she's underage and needs a guardian, but not with the others.

:idk:   

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Things may have changed, but I checked the rules a few weeks ago, and basically you must be registered (before March 24th?) at an university, there is a list and TCC isn't on it.
But who knows, maybe Jason Brown could register early at a Canadian university, or he's at an US university which have an exchange program with a Canadian one, or (unlikely, I know) he married a Canadian resident or citizen... or he got permanent residency himself, though this seems so much harder than in Europe. Or another situation I don't imagine.

Or TSL is giving inaccurate information.

The biggest surprise that, for whatever official reason he'd be allowed into Canada, Jason would have been traveling from the states and we, in the states, are the most embarrassingly infected country in the world (and getting SO much worse).  I have to believe that, while it would be fairly uncommon, for any country trying to protect their citizens during these bizarro times, there will be an occasional exception made by someone in government to allow an individual to go to Canada (and quarantine for 14 days).  I guess we will find out more tomorrow, but if a rare exception can be made for him (coming from sicko-land), then Jun and Yuzu and their mothers (and Evgenia) can be rare exceptions, too.  I don't know what kind of influence one has to have or what hoops are jumped through, but only a truly authoritarian country (China, for instance) would deny entrance to absolutely anyone. Permanent residency is far more difficult for an American to get in Canada under the best of circumstances - it took a friend of mine a decade and she was teaching at university and self-supporting- , and, yeah, he didn't get married (but if anyone knows anyone looking for an american wife who is a great cook and great with dogs, I am available, though old).

3 hours ago, Veveco said:

According to P. Hersh Jason is now back in Canada, though he teased that there is a story behind. Curious to see how that happened (but not enough to give him clicks on his upcoming article).

I guess Yuzuru's location is even more anyone's guess from now on...

Be interesting to find out how Jason convinced Customs & Revenue that he was an essential worker 😂

I'm thinking this means that whatever visa the skaters use for Canada must be the same/equivalent to an international student visa, which means they'll be able to come in. 

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Things may have changed, but I checked the rules a few weeks ago, and basically you must be registered (before March 24th?) at an university, there is a list and TCC isn't on it.
But who knows, maybe Jason Brown could register early at a Canadian university, or he's at an US university which have an exchange program with a Canadian one, or (unlikely, I know) he married a Canadian resident or citizen... or he got permanent residency himself, though this seems so much harder than in Europe. Or another situation I don't imagine.

Or TSL is giving inaccurate information.

I don't mean that Jason is actually registered as a student in a Canadian university, but the situation is similar in that the skaters are also there to learn, so maybe the Canadian govt has an exemption for them too. I think the number of athletes training in Canada would be small compared to the number of foreign students or people with work visas.

T*L info I would definitely take with a grain of salt, but I think P Hersh said he spoke to Jason? That's what I heard, but don't want to give him a click either to confirm. Lol.

1 hour ago, fyere0 said:

I wonder if Yuzu's mom would be allowed back into the country with him. He has an essential reason. She technically does not. Same with the other skaters who are over 18 but had a parent with them, like Evgenia and Jun. For younger ones like Utana (or Rika) you could potentially say that she's underage and needs a guardian, but not with the others.

:idk:   

That's an interesting point. Imagine Yuzu having to fend for himself with cooking and laundry, etc. Maybe he would just opt to stay in Sendai. :giggle:

1 hour ago, barbara said:

..... I guess we will find out more tomorrow, but if a rare exception can be made for him (coming from sicko-land), then Jun and Yuzu and their mothers (and Evgenia) can be rare exceptions, too....

No kidding. If they will let people in from the States, really then anyone else should be acceptable. :P

17 minutes ago, IceWings said:

P Hersh said he spoke to Jason? That's what I heard, but don't want to give him a click either to confirm. Lol.

Checked his Twitter and that is indeed what he said. He also said Jason's journey back was quite the trip, with no details. That could mean almost anything. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Be interesting to find out how Jason convinced Customs & Revenue that he was an essential worker 😂

I'm thinking this means that whatever visa the skaters use for Canada must be the same/equivalent to an international student visa, which means they'll be able to come in. 

Jason probably just smiled and charmed his way through being his beautiful self. He probably didn't even try. 

3 hours ago, IceWings said:

Like he tunneled his way back to Canada. :LOL:

2 hours ago, memae said:

Jason probably just smiled and charmed his way through being his beautiful self. He probably didn't even try. 

Well, it is the longest unguarded border in the world.

8 hours ago, barbara said:

The biggest surprise that, for whatever official reason he'd be allowed into Canada, Jason would have been traveling from the states and we, in the states, are the most embarrassingly infected country in the world (and getting SO much worse).  I have to believe that, while it would be fairly uncommon, for any country trying to protect their citizens during these bizarro times, there will be an occasional exception made by someone in government to allow an individual to go to Canada (and quarantine for 14 days).  I guess we will find out more tomorrow, but if a rare exception can be made for him (coming from sicko-land), then Jun and Yuzu and their mothers (and Evgenia) can be rare exceptions, too.  I don't know what kind of influence one has to have or what hoops are jumped through, but only a truly authoritarian country (China, for instance) would deny entrance to absolutely anyone. Permanent residency is far more difficult for an American to get in Canada under the best of circumstances - it took a friend of mine a decade and she was teaching at university and self-supporting- , and, yeah, he didn't get married (but if anyone knows anyone looking for an american wife who is a great cook and great with dogs, I am available, though old).

I won't buy the "most embarrassingly infected" story, though.

There are countries far worse-off than US, usually for a similar reason (too much power of Big Pharma). But US tend to think themselves as first everywhere, while French people tend to think they are "unrecognised first". So do I. :peace: (French numbers are the most visibly "worked", but in fact I doubt real French numbers are worse than Belgian ones. Our only real first place must be in the proportion of undetected cases among "developed" countries, for lack of testing except one day mid-April and two weeks in early May.) What I'll admit to you (if one can believe video reports) is a greater lack of social distancing, particularly since a few weeks. We've had it in France too, but probably not to that extent. And the hopes are not wonderful as both our countries have "bought" one more "medicine" narrative.

(Very tempted to send a photo of what NYT called a "bromance" but I thought it would become too political.)

I'm afraid it is a Canadian wife (or husband) who is in demand at the moment, nevertheless. :graucho: (Sorry, this I couldn't resist.)

And as says @IceWings, if they let in somebody from the US, then they can let in, maybe not from everywhere, but at least from Japan (and particularly Tohoku) or South Korea, who are managing things so much better.

@fyere0 I tend to think she is essential to his living in Canada, but may not be accepted as such.

Of course I'm sure there would be a great many candidates willing to take an unpaid leave to prepare him Japanese food as planned by his nutritionist and wash his laundry and go and watch him at TCC, but he also needs peace of mind. :jester:

19 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

@fyere0 I tend to think she is essential to his living in Canada, but may not be accepted as such.

Of course I'm sure there would be a great many candidates willing to take an unpaid leave to prepare him Japanese food as planned by his nutritionist and wash his laundry and go and watch him at TCC, but he also needs peace of mind. :jester:

True, it’ll be hard for him if his mum can’t be there :( I can’t imagine having to skate at such a high level, study, do housework and cook all at once all by myself, seems like a lot to handle 😖

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

This page shows the trend in Japan for given names.

The girls 6° and 7° begin by the same "Yu" as Yuzuru, haven't them?

I am a bit more confused about the boys 1° and 4°. Don't they have a sort of "Ha" like in "Hanyu" but as half a kanji?

Sorry, I don't read Japanese...

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0004519/?sc_lid=lj_pc_article_r_new_frame_4

Boys name number 1 and 4 have 翔 which means fly high/soar. The kanji has feather 羽 in it. Girls name number 6 and 7 have 結 which means tie/knot. 翔 has been very popular name for boys for years (1st & 2nd most popular name during Heisei era has 翔 kanji) and so is 結衣 (6th most popular name during Heisei).