General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Depends who we're talking to. Sometimes, but in reference to maintaining physical balance.

I think feelings can be a bit wibbly-wobbly though. And they can be just wobbly so I am going to go ahead and say they can be just wibbly too. It's kind of a type of onomatopoeia but the reference is to movement instead of sound and in those kinds of words in English vowels like o and aw and ow (back vowels) tend to be associated something bigger or louder (think splish vs splash or ting vs gong). So a wobble could be a big one and a wibble a little cute one or one more pleasant than a wobble. So I think it makes sense that you'd say 'wibbly' as a happy feeling. And Yuzu's happy 'why am I crying?' tears are definitely wibbly. 

I've been rewatching a lot of ACIs from the past few years during lockdown. I am in love with ACI debut of Otonal. It's so relaxed and the spins are to die for. I always forget by the end of a season how chill ACI programs are compared to by the time they get to the end of the season. Anyway, Otonal there also gives a great visual for a wibble vs a wobble in the combo jump - the quad has a little wibble on the landing but the triple is absolutely a wobble. 

18 minutes ago, barbara said:

Me guys? I don't think I (grew up in New England) had, before today.  Now I'm going to try to use it at least once a day.

There's a little primary school chant here about jelly (jello) and how it 'wibble-wobbles' on a plate. 

I'm not sure whether to post it here or in the general skating thread but here is a little video about male skaters' heights. I know we had a few discussions about it. It's kinda fun to watch. Yuzu is roughly in the middle overall but definitely on the taller end for Japanese skaters... with Jun & Roman being the only really tall guys in this quad era...

58 minutes ago, Veveco said:

I'm not sure whether to post it here or in the general skating thread but here is a little video about male skaters' heights. I know we had a few discussions about it. It's kinda fun to watch. Yuzu is roughly in the middle overall but definitely on the taller end for Japanese skaters... with Jun & Roman being the only really tall guys in this quad era...

Lysacek was not a surpirse but i'm honestly shock at Brian Orser...I thought he was taller!

6 hours ago, memae said:

I think feelings can be a bit wibbly-wobbly though. And they can be just wobbly so I am going to go ahead and say they can be just wibbly too. It's kind of a type of onomatopoeia but the reference is to movement instead of sound and in those kinds of words in English vowels like o and aw and ow (back vowels) tend to be associated something bigger or louder (think splish vs splash or ting vs gong). So a wobble could be a big one and a wibble a little cute one or one more pleasant than a wobble. So I think it makes sense that you'd say 'wibbly' as a happy feeling. And Yuzu's happy 'why am I crying?' tears are definitely wibbly. 

I've been rewatching a lot of ACIs from the past few years during lockdown. I am in love with ACI debut of Otonal. It's so relaxed and the spins are to die for. I always forget by the end of a season how chill ACI programs are compared to by the time they get to the end of the season. Anyway, Otonal there also gives a great visual for a wibble vs a wobble in the combo jump - the quad has a little wibble on the landing but the triple is absolutely a wobble. 

For me, a wobbly feeling would be more of a big event - like you just had a really big scary shock, followed by something that relieves the shock.... that's when you'd be wobbly. 

I'd say Yuzu has a lot of occasions where he's feeling wibbly. K&C seems to be the perfect breeding ground for wibbly-ness. 

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

Roman is the tallest guy currently competing, it seems. And Shoma is the smallest of all time :). 

The ones who surprised me were Nam, Johnny, and Michal Brezina. Johnny was taller than I thought and Nam and Brezina shorter. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Roman is the tallest guy currently competing, it seems. And Shoma is the smallest of all time :). 

The ones who surprised me were Nam, Johnny, and Michal Brezina. Johnny was taller than I thought and Nam and Brezina shorter. 

Nathan Chen too : I thought he was 1m64, and Wikipedia say 1m66, not 1m68.

I learnt the Sendai nuclear reactor n°1 had been halted on March 15th due to failing to comply with new regulations implemented after the Fukushima accident, and should restart in December, while the reactor n°2 would stop from May to next January. I hope there will be no electricity cut in Sendai.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/16/national/kyushu-electric-halts-sendai-reactor/#.XpMvPPlfjcs

3 hours ago, Veveco said:

Yuzu is taller than the average Japanese male.  Jun is still growing.  And Conrad isn't on here yet - but is only 1/2 inch shorter than Roman.  If you look at  heights of men across the world, they are, as an average, a lot shorter than I thought they'd be. (Dutch are the tallest...)

9 hours ago, memae said:

There's a little primary school chant here about jelly (jello) and how it 'wibble-wobbles' on a plate. 

Wobbly is commonly used (and does fit jello well) but it's the addition of wibbly that I really like.  Evidently, they technically are the same thing, but that, in my mind, is up to interpretation.