General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

“Glitz and glamour red carpet” was how they described it.

I hope they at least make it a separate event in future but money is involved, so...

"Glitz and glamour" but also gala, so skaters sitting in their training jackets and black t-shirts. And then have to perform without warm up.
So much fun.

31 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

If Yuzu wins something this season, I don't mind the awards being held every season. Or every 2 seasons. I really wanted Yuzu get that Laureus Awards in February but I guess Yuzu can have an ISU award instead. 

I wonder if the ISU awards is gonna be glamorous and have red carpets too? 

We know they're going to ruin the Worlds gala exhibition with these stupid awards by putting a stage, chairs, and red carpet on the ice. :angry_party:

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

If Yuzu wins something this season, I don't mind the awards being held every season. Or every 2 seasons. I really wanted Yuzu get that Laureus Awards in February but I guess Yuzu can have an ISU award instead. 

I wonder if the ISU awards is gonna be glamorous and have red carpets too? 

Yuzu himself didn't seem too impressed or bothered about the Laureus or other awards he's been given in the past. I wonder if he considers going to such events to be chore.

The award that really meant a lot to him seemed to be the People's Award in Japan. And he did go the extra mile for his appearance there.

12 hours ago, memae said:

I haven't read the actual comment from Kavaguti. I'm just responding to the semantics of 'fanyu' because I'm a linguist and can't resist. 

So you defended Kavaguti's comments without actually having read them? O...kay. Well, I did read them and I stand by what I said yesterday. I think some people are using "semantics" to give Kavaguti a pass by claiming that she was only criticizing a small subset of fans, but there's actually no indication that that's what she really meant and there was no reason for her to drag Yuzu's name in at all if her real goal was just to complain about some Japanese fans not meeting her personal standard of the proper way to be a skating fan.

17 hours ago, CaroSkate said:

There are inappropriate behaviours in all fan groups. Yuzu fans are singled out because there are too many of us. Every tiny bit of misbehaviour are magnified.

Take ACI gift throwing as an example. Throwing gifts were not allowed but there were fans throwing a few gifts to other skaters as well as Yuzu. Yet, I hardly see other people blaming the fans of those skaters but they only blame Yuzu's fans from ACI. This may be because there are so few gifts for those skaters that the skaters could easily pick the gifts up themselves but it is not the case for Yuzu. 1% of crazy fans already means a lot of people so we are subjected to double standard.

The ACI gift throwing is often cited as an example of bad fanyu behavior, but this is not accurate because throwing plushies on the ice for 2018 ACI was actually permitted. Here is the link to 2018 ACI. Click on the FAQ tab. https://skatecanada.ca/2018-autumn-classic-international/#tab-77d9f8c37b2dab40425

If I have a gift for an athlete how do I get it to them?
Gifts for athletes should be taken to the venue’s Guest Services. If the venue does not have a Guest Services then please leave your gift at the ticketing table or booth. Gifts that are not flowers or plush toys/stuffed animals should not be thrown on the ice.

It's true that gift throwing was not permitted in the ACI events prior to 2018 and many assumed that the restriction was true for 2018 also, but that was not the case. A satellite emailed Skate Canada and got confirmation that gift throwing was allowed. I personally asked a staff member when I arrived at the venue and she told me that I can throw a plushy on the ice, but if I wanted to leave a gift specifically for a skater, I should put it in the gift box instead.

That was why so many plushies were thrown on the ice at 2018 ACI, not only for Yuzu, but Canadian fans were throwing plushies for the Canadian skaters too. They had sweeper girls, but the girls looked like beginner skaters so did not clear the ice that quickly and Yuzu pitched in to help.

In contrast, the FAQ for this year's ACI clearly stated that it was prohibited for fans to throw gifts onto the ice. That's why no one did it this year. I only saw maybe about 6 Poohs tossed to Yuzu, but it's possible that those fans didn't read the FAQ.

14 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Skate America is the rowdiest competition in the GP series and Yuzu hasn’t skated there since 2012....

Yep, the cheering at 4CC this year was just as loud as at any comp Yuzu attended. In fact the US fans gave a standing ovation to every US skater.

20 hours ago, AkaneYamashina said:

True. I've been following the KimxAsada rivalry for as long as I can remember and didn't even know Yuzu existed till 2017. (I've heard of his name in passing back in 2014 because my college classmates were all gushing about him, but I initially thought he was an anime character):LOL:

Forgive me, Yuzu. :headdesk:

Old fart here. I actually started following Yuzu because he's a student of Brian Orser whom I remember watching during his competitive career when I was very young. 

8 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Old fart here. I actually started following Yuzu because he's a student of Brian Orser whom I remember watching during his competitive career when I was very young. 

That’s what made me look harder at that scrawny tiny boy too, no need to blush about that! :D 

Whipped cream, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes. That actually doesn't sound horrible. I might try it! :nod2:

Although Yuzu's sounds a bit much by that chart. He'd have Hershey kisses (would that be a violation of his contract with Lotte???), chocolate truffles, and chili powder. That sounds like a LOT... would he be drinking it or eating it?