General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, Tabby said:

So apparently, according to Yuko Kavaguti, fanyus aren't 'real' fs fans...hmm...I wonder if that's what she thought when she was invited by Yuzuru himself to participate in Ciontu...guess the only way for her to be relevant is to use Yuzuru's name 

Honestly, what hurts me the most is imagining how Yuzuru would feel if he read that :( 

I mean, honestly if that WAS true for her she is making herself look bad. Her perception of the fandom will speak for herself. People who act like that on social media don't deserve attention compared to others who work hard for it. Unless she makes further comments or worse, actually confirms her attitude towards the fandom, I'd say you will need to turn your attention to Yuzuru more. I would say that it's because he is already in lots of dilemmas like scoring issues (from ISU), future events, trying to land the 4A and even his birthday coming up. It's better to support him with more pressing issues so that if Yuko actually worsens things, we will be there to catch his fall.

Every time I read a comment from someone complaining about the existence of fanyus, I sit and wonder what the effing HECK went on in the stands during figure skating competitions before we came along, b/c so many of these complaints boil down to 'fanyus are too rowdy'. 

Like seriously, what world are these whiners living in? I distinctly remember a time when the sound of cowbell featured prominently in the cheering for athletes like Kurt Browning! Did the entire audience of figure skating, except for us Hanyu fans, forget that you're supposed to be vocal in your support for your favorites? And that of course you're going to disagree with someone who has a different opinion from you about a skater's performance? 

Like WTH, man. It's like the 80's, 90's, and 00's never happened. Somehow we jumped straight from the uptight 70's right back into the prim and proper Edwardian era. 

So I'll be over in the ladies' seats, sipping tea with my pinky out, watching the nice young men skate ever-so-refinedly,  under my parasol until my chaperone decides I've had enough excitement for one day and takes me home...:wut:

About fans here wanting to vote for Yuzu for favorite costume: I have a feeling ISU may ignore our votes if we vote Yuzu for every category. Or take our votes less seriously

Because we have huuuuge numbers. Our fan base is the biggest. I'm sure by the vote alone Yuzu would win every category available to him, but I also want to discuss tactics.

Should we focus voting on 1 category? Or just all of them at once? I realistically believe origin 2.0 and otonal 2.0 are not his best costumes throughout his career, and some ISU committee might think we just voted because Yuzu wore them..

I know costume preferences are personal, but I think the costumes most people find pleasing in agreement (as in majority of people find them pleasing on average) are things like Seimei 2.0, Chopin 3.0 and Origin 1.0.

Or if we vote for best choreography, they might ignore our vote because Yuzu recycled both his programs..

I think Yuzu is very likely to win "Most valuable skater" award, which seems like the most honorable and biggest award anyway lol 

😆😆😆 

@quadaxelwin They’ve already thought of a way around counting fanyu votes and that’s by giving less weight to votes from the skater’s home country. Finally, the commentators misidentifying hoards of Chinese fanyus as Japanese and passing over non-Asian fanyus will pay off for everyone! :rofl:

There’s nothing else in the information published that would give them any reason to ignore our votes. Hopefully they will publish the number of votes as well but it’s ISU so...

Honestly, the ridiculousness of opening up this popularity contest in the first place (though I believe Yuzu deserves to win several of the awards due to his own merits) will be shown up in the first awards show if Yuzu does win everything and also if Yuzu doesn’t win everything. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Every time I read a comment from someone complaining about the existence of fanyus, I sit and wonder what the effing HECK went on in the stands during figure skating competitions before we came along, b/c so many of these complaints boil down to 'fanyus are too rowdy'. 

Like seriously, what world are these whiners living in? I distinctly remember a time when the sound of cowbell featured prominently in the cheering for athletes like Kurt Browning! Did the entire audience of figure skating, except for us Hanyu fans, forget that you're supposed to be vocal in your support for your favorites? And that of course you're going to disagree with someone who has a different opinion from you about a skater's performance? 

Like WTH, man. It's like the 80's, 90's, and 00's never happened. Somehow we jumped straight from the uptight 70's right back into the prim and proper Edwardian era. 

So I'll be over in the ladies' seats, sipping tea with my pinky out, watching the nice young men skate ever-so-refinedly,  under my parasol until my chaperone decides I've had enough excitement for one day and takes me home...:wut:

Skate America is the rowdiest competition in the GP series and Yuzu hasn’t skated there since 2012.

Lambiel also had giant Swiss cowbell rattling fans. 

8 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

@quadaxelwin They’ve already thought of a way around counting fanyu votes and that’s by giving less weight to votes from the skater’s home country. Finally, the commentators misidentifying hoards of Chinese fanyus as Japanese and passing over non-Asian fanyus will pay off for everyone! :rofl:

There’s nothing else in the information published that would give them any reason to ignore our votes. Hopefully they will publish the number of votes as well but it’s ISU so...

Honestly, the ridiculousness of opening up this popularity contest in the first place (though I believe Yuzu deserves to win several of the awards due to his own merits) will be shown up in the first awards show if Yuzu does win everything and also if Yuzu doesn’t win everything. 

ISU will soon discover the power of

The Chinese, Russian, Canadian, American, European, South East Asian, Oceania, South American fans 

in the Fanyu fandom base 

:hihi:

It's like ISU falling into the grave ISU dug in lol

51 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

iirc fans only get to vote for who will be nominated. the final result is still determined by the ISU from among the nominees...

9 hours ago, Vulnavia said:

I mean, fans "trash talking" about other skaters is in no way unique to fanyus. There's plenty of trash talk among Russian fans of various skaters, for example, and some of the trashiest trash that I've seen has been directed at Yuzu by Nathan fans and not the other way around. So why single out fanyus as the only problematic group when that's far from the truth?

And honestly, while I do think that fans should follow rules as competitions and be respectful towards all of the athletes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of Yuzu mostly or even exclusively and not of the sport as a whole, especially considering that the integrity of this "sport" on the whole is questionable at best at the moment. The vast majority of fanyus are supportive of many skaters, but if someone wants to support Yuzu and Yuzu alone, that's 100% their right and they shouldn't be shamed for it. Kavaguti's comments are completely inaccurate, inappropriate, and disrespectful to Yuzu and his fans and none of us should have to sit around pretending that she might have a point. She doesn't.

First, they're singled out simply because there's more of them. 

And I don't think there is anything wrong with being a fan of Yuzu rather than the sport, but to me it seems incongruous to be a fan of someone who is so gracious, respectful, and supportive  (and it really is part of why people adore him so much) but then not behave in a way that he himself exemplifies. That is to say, fanyus who aren't into FS so much as Yuzu are fine if they're respectful of other skaters and the sport even though they aren't that interested. It's like difference between being friends and being friendly. 

I haven't read the actual comment from Kavaguti. I'm just responding to the semantics of 'fanyu' because I'm a linguist and can't resist. 

38 minutes ago, shanshani said:

iirc fans only get to vote for who will be nominated. the final result is still determined by the ISU from among the nominees...

Oh that’s right. :facepalm: Sorry, was thinking of the selection process which is split between jury, media, ISU, and fan votes. 

https://isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards

The ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will take into account the on-line voting results of each of the 3 voting groups with the same weight, i.e. Public 1/3 - Media 1/3 - ISU Member Federations 1/3. Only on-line votes submitted via the ISU on-line voting platform will count.

For the determination of result of the Public on-line vote and Media on-line vote, the ISU Skating Award Selection Commission will take into account for each Award category:

a) the absolute number of on-line votes per candidate including on-line votes from all countries

b) the absolute number of on-line votes per candidate including on-line votes from all countries but not including the on-line votes from the Candidates country of origin.

c) the number of on-line votes per candidate broken down by on-line votes from each country

d) considering this first-time edition of the ISU Skating Awards and related totally unknown on-line voting result and proportion by country of the result, the ISU Skating Award Selection Commission will weigh the above-mentioned on-line results details with the objective to determine the final Nominees reflecting a fair and balanced world-wide opinion.

ETA public can only vote for 4 categories and as Yuzu isn’t a newcomer, we can only vote for him in 3:

1. Most Valuable Skater

2. Best Costume

3. Most Entertaining Program

4. Best Newcomer

I have a feeling some teams got a heads up about the best costume and that’s why we suddenly have some costume changes mid program. I doubt Yuzu can win that category this time.

Probably they’ll give most entertaining program to Nathan’s FS judging by the scores this season so @quadaxelwin if we concentrate on one category I agree it’d have to be MVS. 

9 hours ago, Msyloves said:

Yeah singling out Fanyus as if others skaters don't have problematic fans, who even act worse and I don't mean just in social media or FS events 🙄

It's because there's exponentially more of them/us as a whole. There's more problematic fans simply because his fan base is so large, so more attention is drawn to them than problematic fans of other skaters.