General Yuzuru Chat

i'd be okay with him going to WTT as long as the judges there let him break 350 and give him his 3 WRs back... i'm not asking for him to be clean; it's not like the scores at that competition tend to make  sense anyway (well, recently every single event has had nonsensical scoring but WTT takes the cake)

5 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

@micaelis Happy birthday! Wish you stay healthy and happy as a fanyu! the fact that Yuzu has such a wide demography of fans makes me happy.

---

I have been traumatized by world19 so much I am actually happy to know it is officially over. Warning: pessimistic rant ahead

I spent four months waiting every single day just to see him compete again. I already had a bad feeling about this competition compared to PC because of many reasons: 1) people no longer dropped expectation for him because of what they witnessed 2) he didnt have any muscle memory of the programs like seimei/chopin or clean skates to rely on 3) he had no competiton experience for over 4 months 4) he got really fired up when he was back unlike at PC where he was a lot calmer 5) skating at home has more pressure on him bc he knew people expected him to get home inflation.

But I still waited and waited because I believed. I know he doesn't always win and I know he doesn't have to but the way this competition played out just crashed over me like a huge wave. Regardless, I know the person who experiences the most pain is Yuzu himself. I am looking ahead to see many more competition from Yuzu and really hope he can skate two clean programs at WTT if he chooses to go. I know that would be his hope to end this season with a smile if he could get two world records back.

One side of me is amazed that it seems like Yuzu is subconciously entering that era after Olympic again where he is a step toward his next gold medal. To see how his fire to reach the top has been rekindled by one "failure" is both inspirational and terrifying. 

It's inspirational because after what he has achieved, he still believes he can do more to achieve his next happiness. How many skater you can name is actually that self awareness about themselves? Even if they say they need to improve, do their performance really reflect that? I do have this gut feeling that he is thinking about Beijing. I didnt get this feeling before but from the things he said in post world interviews, with what he wants to achieve, it might take another 3 seasons to fulfill. 

It's terrifying because the road he has chosen ahead of him is now beyond difficult for what his own mind or body can bear. We are now entering a phase where a perfect Yuzuru can be beaten through corruption. He is not getting younger and cannot afford to test new jumps. The thing with Yuzu is he can't afford mistakes like other top skaters because the sport doesnt put him on the same standard. He needs to test new jumps in competitions but that would mean he has a high possibility of losing the comp and at this point in his career, losing a  competition would affect his rep, which subsequentially, would affect his scores. Younger skaters can afford the trial and error process when trying to up their tech and is actually rewarded because they are seen as potential future stars. But with Yuzu, his default standard is gold. He needs to go through the process of trial and error very strategically to get both the success of the jumps to avoid injuring himself and sitting out for the rest of the season and to win. 

It's also terrifying because some of his responses sound like he is writing off all of his achievements. I am bitter by the fact that he is seeing his loss as a lack of ability/acknowledging other skaters as if the results reflect a true meaning to his and their skatings. Yes, I know Yuzu is someone who has a special way of thinking and that is what I love him for, but I still can't help but feel extremely bitter about this. To me, he was the clear winner of the free and his loss was out of his control. What is also more terrifying is at this point in his career, his scores are pretty much capped and his achievements didnt help one bit. It took him 5 years and 2 gold medals to actually get his scores, and yet he is still put in a situation by the judges to be challenged. It's like they dont know what to do with Yuzu anymore since he hasnt declared his direction so it is unclear how much longer he will compete. Why keep crowning the current king when he is going to leave the sport soon. Why not crown a new king to reign him until the next olympic?

I want to ask Yuzu a rhetorical question, is it worth it? Is it worth risking your body, emotion, and energy to try to be beyond the corruption of this sport? While I will never define him by the results and scores alone and no matter what placement he gets he is still the best skater of all time to me, I know he cares! And I care that he cares. I feel really helpless thinking how no matter how much we voice it out it isn't changing anything. But Yuzu needs our support and if that is the one thing we can do for him I am giving him my all.

I'm a bit late with this reply, but while I understand the feeling very well, there are a few things I want to say that I hope might actually be encouraging...

First, I don't think he was calmer at the Olympics, not by far. However, at the Olympics, it was absolutely essential that he held himself in check, both emotionally and physically. By his own admission, his overall physical condition - in terms of stamina and how far he'd recovered his jumps - was worse, so he was in no condition to do what he did in Saitama. As it was, he paced himself, kept an outward calmness and appearance of happiness and turned it all into strategy. In Pyeongchang it wasn't a matter of confidence as it was a do or die situation. He either went out and skated clean or as clean as he could, or he'd lose. In Saitama, as he himself said, he was confident, he wasn't that backed up into the corner and it showed in the way he approached practices, virtually showing off for his rivals. I think he then let it get away from him a bit and Nathan and Raf saw him getting frustrated and desperate with the 4Lo struggles, so even though he actually looked strong, it also seemed like nothing they need to worry about. And it turned out true, because even with that gorgeous Origin, it didn't work out.

I'm sure Yuzu was crushed, but he's not really the type to dwell on the negative, not in the same way we are. He's pissed off, but he's fired up to get his crown back. And that fire apparently even makes him a little bit happy. I think he really did feel lost after the Olympics, especially with losing Javi as a rival and rinkmate, too. But now he's found something to motivate him again. I don't agree with Javi, it won't be the same with Nathan as it was with him, but Yuzu wants to be the absolute champion and will fight to get his title back.

The other thing, about Yuzu being capped, on this layout, yes, maybe. But look at it like this: he wants the other quads. In fact, he says he WILL get them. Not that maybe, if everything works out. He says he WILL get them and as he's the guy who often makes the impossible possible, I tend to believe him. He just doesn't know how long it'll take because he has to be careful. And IF he does get them, then he'll soar above again. Because Nathan already has everything aside from 4A and he said he won't do 4A. And 4A alone almost makes up the difference between them. If you add in 4Lz and 4F, it will be crazy. Nathan is pretty much capped as well and very early in his career, because they've been piling GOE and PCS. Even if Nathan improves his artistry and gets difficult entrances to his jumps, it won't do much, because there's not much room anymore. US Nats score is pretty much the maximum he can achieve. And jumping that many quads regularly won't be without consequences for him either. Yuzu already knows how to be careful, as much as possible. Nathan will learn.

Bottom line is, yes, now Yuzu winning would be difficult - but not impossible. A squeaky clean Yuzu with no pops and no wobbles is still hard to really hold back. With a clean SP it would have been much much closer.

However, if his - admittedly, insane - plan works out, he will be the absolute champion again, because nobody will be able to compete with that without getting all the quads as well.

Of course, with his injury, it is terrifying. Might he destroy his ankle -  and maybe not only - completely in the process? Yes, I think that's very likely. But he has a strong team behind him who will do everything they can to prevent that from happening. And even if it happens, I believe it is worth it for him. He lives for skating. He said it at the Olympics that it was worth even the risk of never being able to move again. Now, I think getting the right to call himself 'absolute champion' again might be similar. I could never have that mentality and it's probably not very healthy, but that passion and ambition is a big part of why we love him. And he's already asked us to support him despite everything. It's probably a turning point for many fans, in a way. The road ahead will probably be painful, so it's maybe a time to choose if each of us can travel that with him.

One thing I found scary at first but maybe encouraging now, is that Brian said he believes Yuzu can make it to Beijing. That he can stay healthy enough for it. I wonder if he knows all the facts, if he's optimistic or if he actually has more experience and knows that with the proper strategy, they can keep him in shape. Yuzu isn't willing to commit yet and I think that's understandable. If his body holds out, though, and he believes he can win, he definitely will want to go, though. He just doesn't want to say it and then risk letting everyone down, so he won't commit. But I have no doubt he wants to go, if he can.

And lastly, I don't think he's writing off his achievements, but his Olympic Golds won't get him new wins. He wouldn't want them to, either. So, in that sense, they don't matter. Nothing in the past matters. If he can't win now, it means he doesn't have the tools to do it now, so if he wants to win, he has to get the tools. It's very simple and logical. It doesn't matter why and it doesn't matter whether it's fair or not. Figure skating has never been fair to him and he has always had to work extra hard to prove himself. So he'll do it again now. I'm sure deep down it is frustrating, but at the end of the day, for his way of thinking, it's another wall to overcome, and beyond which even greater happiness awaits. I also don't think that when challenging himself it's ever really that much about the confidence of being able to overcome those challenges. It's more about plain hard work. It's not 'I believe I can do 4A, 4Lz and 4F'. It's "I will work as hard as it takes to do 4A, 4Lz and 4F." The day he works as hard as he can and still can't reach his goals and he believes there is nothing more he can do is probably the day he retires, IMO.

As for WTT, he pretty much said he was doing it without outright saying it, so it's no real surprise? It's not like he had time between yesterday night and today at noon to get his ankle checked and submit a medical report and withdraw. He'll probably do it and then take his rehab break after that and until early May or so, when choreo will likely take place, before FaOI.

And I love how despite Nathan's win, Yuzu is still the king and legend for everyone. Some people - Benoit Richaud and Andrew Dodds come to mind first - only insta storied Yuzu's program and not Nathan's. Clearly shows who was more impressive, IMO. (And while Andrew comes across as a bit of a fan, I can't help thinking he's also an ice dancer so probably more appreciative of artistry than jumping...)

29 minutes ago, SuperMin said:

He really is the KING 

The sleeves of the shirt and suit jacket appear to be the right length with the right amount of shirt cuff showing.

The length of the suit jacket is short compared to traditional suit jackets, but shorter suit jackets are now the style, especially for younger people. Sometimes tailors will recommend a shorter jacket to make the legs look longer.

12 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

The sleeves of the shirt and suit jacket appear to be the right length with the right amount of shirt cuff showing.

The length of the suit jacket is short compared to traditional suit jackets, but shorter suit jackets are now the style, especially for younger people. Sometimes tailors will recommend a shorter jacket to make the legs look longer.

I guess... finally, a suit that fits. :xD: