General Yuzuru Chat

21 minutes ago, SylessJinx said:

I just read about the rule changes from the ISU about backloading.  I know Yuzu keeps pretty consistent and balanced programs but he does have a 3-5 just ratio.  Since the jumps are being cut from 8 to 7, do you guys think he will go for a 3-4 or 4-3 (with 3 combos in the second half)?  Also, do you guys think he will go back to the 2 quads in the front and 3A in the second half for the short?

The newly passed rule that only the last jumping pass in the SP and last 3 in the FS get the bonus points means that he'll very likely do 3 combos for the FS to maximise the marks. And the most strategic thing to do would obviously be to get your jumps out early (ie. 4-3) while you're not as tired and since now there's no reward for adding an extra jump in the 2nd half. Though I wouldn't put it past yuzu specifically to do something else if the ~art~ of the program calls for it. It's an idiotic measure on the ISU's part since like...basically everyone will be incentivised to do that, leading to way more uniformity in the programs than if they'd just kept backloading and punished bad choreo or obviously unbalanced backloaded programs through PCS or some other way =___= (imagine if they actually utilised the CO category the way it supposedly is designed!)

And no for the short, you'd want a combo as your last jumping pass with the bonus to maximise your marks and since he was doing the 4T-3T this season, I can't imagine why he'd go back to the old layout. 

Just now, kaerb said:

The newly passed rule that only the last jumping pass in the SP and last 3 in the FS get the bonus points means that he'll very likely do 3 combos for the FS to maximise the marks. And the most strategic thing to do would obviously be to get your jumps out early (ie. 4-3) while you're not as tired and since now there's no reward for adding an extra jump in the 2nd half. Though I wouldn't put it past yuzu specifically to do something else if the ~art~ of the program calls for it. It's an idiotic measure on the ISU's part since like...basically everyone will be incentivised to do that, leading to way more uniformity in the programs than if they'd just kept backloading and rewarded/punished bad choreo through PCS or some other way =___=

I think this is going to be the interesting part - with his second OGM in the bag and the odd comment about skating how he wants from now on I'm wondering if lost in translation is the intention to focus more on the musical and artistic integrity of the programme and  less on the calculations, if his music choices tend that way.

6 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I think this is going to be the interesting part - with his second OGM in the bag and the odd comment about skating how he wants from now on I'm wondering if lost in translation is the intention to focus more on the musical and artistic integrity of the programme and  less on the calculations, if his music choices tend that way.

We are talking about the guy who added complicated spin entries to LGC that didn't count for his levels just because it fit the program lol. What concerns and annoys me is how the new rule basically stops development because skaters had to build endurance, strength etc. to be able to backload their jumps and now they have no incentive to do so as long as they can reach the 'optimum' level of executing the 2-1, 4-3 layout (with the last jumps as combos). That's a concrete, definite goal. In some ways, it might help them focus on quality of jumps since they no longer have to weigh up the cost-benefit of backloading more jumps but it basically also places a ceiling on points achievable unless they add more jump varieties and/or build their PCS/GOEs. I'm not terribly worried about yuzu, I think he'll do whatever he wants. Actually this probably increases his incentive to master all types of quads and/or consistency because there's not much he can do to push his marks higher :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: 

I’m honestly cool in regards to how these new rule changes will affect Yuzu. I think some of these changes, even if they feel like they are targeting Yuzu, might end up playing to his advantage. Ngl I am even kind of looking forward to Yuzu finessing this new system:gla:

34 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

I didnt saw this before! :heart: he's laying on the ice, right?? :img_20:

De8HlWgUcAEL_3a.jpg

By the way, I love the costume! Gorgeous! :img_21:

1. Imagine if he wasn't laying on ice, but was floating halfway up the wall :D

2. Imagine this as the concept for the upcoming season's costume :D

(Although first impressions was that it looked a little like the costume of bridge command personnel in Star Trek...)

37 минут назад, kaerb сказал:

In some ways, it might help them focus on quality of jumps since they no longer have to weigh up the cost-benefit of backloading more jumps but it basically also places a ceiling on points achievable unless they add more jump varieties and/or build their PCS/GOEs. I'm not terribly worried about yuzu, I think he'll do whatever he wants.

I'm not worried about Yuzu though it will be interesting what he'll do for FS. Now he have no point to do 4S and then 4S+3T and risk BV cut off if the second 4S is not ideal. Though he can theoretically backload 4T+3T in FS (and two 3A after that). But the thing is for men you'll get more BV with good GOE than backloading, so if your quads have better quality in the the first half, there's no point to remove them to the end and add more risk with questionable reward.

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

The newly passed rule that only the last jumping pass in the SP and last 3 in the FS get the bonus points means that he'll very likely do 3 combos for the FS to maximise the marks. And the most strategic thing to do would obviously be to get your jumps out early (ie. 4-3) while you're not as tired and since now there's no reward for adding an extra jump in the 2nd half. Though I wouldn't put it past yuzu specifically to do something else if the ~art~ of the program calls for it. It's an idiotic measure on the ISU's part since like...basically everyone will be incentivised to do that, leading to way more uniformity in the programs than if they'd just kept backloading and punished bad choreo or obviously unbalanced backloaded programs through PCS or some other way =___= (imagine if they actually utilised the CO category the way it supposedly is designed!)

And no for the short, you'd want a combo as your last jumping pass with the bonus to maximise your marks and since he was doing the 4T-3T this season, I can't imagine why he'd go back to the old layout. 

It's easier said than done. Combos are high risk, and putting the combo(s) as last jump(s) in programs means no possible layout change in case of popped combos. So I really don't think that "of course all skater will backload their combos" and that the programs will be more uniform. It remains a "high risk/high gain" strategy.

Tbh, extreme backloading is more a case in ladies fiels, where this rule will change a lot of things, and, yes, probably uniformize the layouts quite a bit. I don't see why it would change the layouts that much in men's field.

4 minutes ago, Altie said:

It's easier said than done. Combos are high risk, and putting the combo(s) as last jump(s) in programs means no possible layout change in case of popped combos. So I really don't think that "of course all skater will backload their combos" and that the programs will be more uniform. It remains a "high risk/high gain" strategy.

Tbh, extreme backloading is more a case in ladies fiels, where this rule will change a lot of things, and, yes, probably uniformize the layouts quite a bit. I don't see why it would change the layouts that much in men's field.

Mm fair point. But it does make the 'maximum' limit for a program much more concrete than it was, and also limits the options for low-mid-level skaters to become more competitive unless they do push themselves to add quads and/or to put their jump combos at the end. Which is good in some ways but also more dangerous like you said, for both injury and really low marks if they risk a combo and pop it. The rule changes apply to both fields so I'm concerned about the ladies here more than anything. 

I'm not too worried about Yuzu, honestly. He'll be fine, especially as he's the crazy guy who can do 2 3A+combo jumping passes in the second half, as pretty much last jumping pass. The part I find stifling a bit, is I expect to see all the second half jumps just get done in the first 20 secs of second half mark, since there's no incentive to do otherwise. Yuzu might be the only one who would have the guts to do something like //jump-jump-jump- Spin-chSq-jump-spin. I expect more uniform //jump-jump-jump-chsq-spin-spin coming out.

On the other hand...wonder how he feels about 4F now.

39 minutes ago, Xen said:

I'm not too worried about Yuzu, honestly. He'll be fine, especially as he's the crazy guy who can do 2 3A+combo jumping passes in the second half, as pretty much last jumping pass. The part I find stifling a bit, is I expect to see all the second half jumps just get done in the first 20 secs of second half mark, since there's no incentive to do otherwise. Yuzu might be the only one who would have the guts to do something like //jump-jump-jump- Spin-chSq-jump-spin. I expect more uniform //jump-jump-jump-chsq-spin-spin coming out.

Shouldn't we be focusing on him regaining his elegant lady 4loop and mesmerizing lady 4lz first?? XD

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Remember that interview with Brian about a year ago now? Describing Yuzu's off season? That summer, they'd be like 'today let's do the 4A, today the 4F.' 

Yeah. So. Well.