General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

:bow: 

As a lurker myself (not on the planet, but everywhere else) I thank you for breaking anonymity and coming to the rescue!!

It was my pleasure (and as I said before, thank you for finding that link ><)

15 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

watch us all be totally resigned and accepting of Yuzu not going to Worlds and then SURPRISE he announces he is...... it would be such a Yuzu thing to happen. defying all expectations.  :slinkaway:

Shhhh, don't put that out into the Universe, shhh.

I swear he his antennae pick this stuff up :smiley-whacky059:

10 hours ago, cinemacoconut said:

Anyway when did he mention that he likes cake?? 

Here. Look at his happy awake face when they are about to eat cake. Have you ever seen him so awake for an interview? Also included: Yuzu's love of shortcake.

And here. You must really want to eat cake if you are desperate enough to have it kneeling on a tiled sticky floor where staff are stacking the dirty dishes.

10 hours ago, Floria said:

I bet his mind is already set on new goals and 4A is only one of these. Those 4-3-2 combos at gala practice... :laughing: The injury is an obstacle on this way and I understand why he is talking so much about the importance  of treatment now.

Plushenko has already done 4-3-3 so I think along with the 4A, he wants 4-1-4 or 4-4 :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: It makes sense if they are cutting out a jumping pass. Now that he has his 2 gold medals, he can get all the "firsts" in competition :smiley-happy105:

I've been thinking about Yuzu's future but also about the future of his reputation.  Despite the fact that he has fans in all parts of the world, up to now the bulk of his fans have been Japanese or skating fans.  I think that's about to change.  Why?  Blame it on Pooh.  The Poohvalanches have been mentioned in virtually all the articles and shown in virtually all the news videos, but what's important here is that to those unfamiliar with figure skating all those Poohs descending onto the ice make Yuzu instantly memorable.  There is no other athlete in any sport who gets that treatment from the fans out there.  Pooh makes Yuzu also instantly COOL (and I'm not talking about ice here).   I have a strong feeling that there are legions of new fans of Yuzu hitting the internet to find out all they can about Yuzu.  It doesn't hurt that according to one commentator Yuzu has boy-band good looks.  Nor does it hurt that Yuzu has through the years had some bad hurts of the body and also one dramatic hurt of the soul, his experience of the earthquake, setbacks that make his life memorable.  Add to this the fact that those researchers are also learning that Yuzu may be the the greatest skater ever. 

The result is that Yuzu has a biography tailor-made for a bio-pic.  With the expansion of his fan-base that's ongoing I'm sure there must be some Hollywood or Japanese producers looking at Yuzu's life and thinking it would do well on the multiplex screen.  I can see such a film being made, beginning with his experience of the earthquake and ending with the second Olympic gold achieved with the high drama of coming back from a serious injury and the Olympics being his first competition in nearly four months.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Yuzu's face on the cover of People.  He's certainly photogenic enough and the breadth and passion of his fans make Yuzu more than a sports phenomenon, actually more like a rockstar.  The American teenage girls magazines might also show interest (although Yuzu will probably need to shed his shirt for some of the photos}.

In short, I think we are seeing Yuzu's reputation transitioning from a Japanese and figure skating context to a global celebrity context.  It doesn't hurt that virtually all of Yuzu's competitions are available on YouTube, many with several different commentators.  He's got far more YouTube coverage than any other figure skater.  All in all I think Yuzu's days of relative obscurity in Toronto might be coming to an end.  Yuzu's just been put on the paparazzi hit list.

One final comment - I think it quite possible that when Yuzu retires the skating rink in Sendai he started out with will be renamed after him.