General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, meoima said:

I think as Yuzuru does not have to suffer the hype of GP series anymore, he will have more time to calm his mentality down and analyze what should be analyzed. He will be fine. 

But do you think that the less pressure Yuzu has from not going into Olympics as reigning GPF winner will be offset by the pressure he is under now with everyone expecting he will make a comeback at PyeongChang? Like, now many people (many fans included) are hoping and expecting he will do very well in PC because of the angst and the "kuyashii" feeling he accumulates from being injured and missing out a chance of defending his GPF title for the fifth time, sort of like how he made a comeback after SP at WC 2017. Will that expectation create a potentially greater pressure onto him, perhaps even worse than the pressure of a reigning GPF champion, since Yuzu is probably exerting the same kind of pressure onto himself? Also, if he wins over Uno at Japan Nationals in December, can it simulates the same kind of pressure as if winning GPF?

I am sorry if my words are jumbled- my brain is taking a break right now.

55 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Yep, I agree. Just saying people will discuss many things using past examples to predict on whether Yuzu will get or lose ogm in PC, and tbh I get some relief knowing how differently things can go, but well at the end if the day it all depends on Yuzu and the skaters (as well as the judges). 

No, it will all depend on Yuzuru. 

Yuna won Vancouver not because she won the first half of that season, she won because she skated her best there. By that time she was already the WC and GPF champion several times. She needed no more reputation. She got huge score ala 150 due to her first half of the season, yes. But even without the momentum of that season, her performances at Vancouver deserve to win that night alone. 

As I said, the first half of the season does not need to mean a lot to Yuzuru's situation currently. He is no longer the kid who won no big before GPF 2013. To 19 years old Yuzuru, proving himself was important, winning GPF 2013 was important to elevate his PCS and GOE. And even with that, he was not the clear favorite at Sochi, it was Patrick. Had Patrick skated cleanly the SP, it would be Patrick to lead the SP, then the LP. Yuzuru at Sochi was just the 2nd favorite. Patrick definitely would have won if he did not mess up that badly. If you look at GOE for Patrick, you see that judges favored Patrick more. In fact, Patrick's strategy at Sochi was correct, he just did not carry out that strategy so well. 

The current Yuzuru does not need to prove himself like what Yuzuru in GPF 2013 needed anymore. His PCS and GOE, his reputation have been established. All he needs is to concentrate on himself and skate cleanly as much as he can. His current BV is already insane and the second highest BV. Plushenko is right that Yuzuru should just focus on himself.

4 hours ago, getsurenka said:

But do you think that the less pressure Yuzu has from not going into Olympics as reigning GPF winner will be offset by the pressure he is under now with everyone expecting he will make a comeback at PyeongChang? Like, now many people (many fans included) are hoping and expecting he will do very well in PC because of the angst and the "kuyashii" feeling he accumulates from being injured and missing out a chance of defending his GPF title for the fifth time, sort of like how he made a comeback after SP at WC 2017. Will that expectation create a potentially greater pressure onto him, perhaps even worse than the pressure of a reigning GPF champion, since Yuzu is probably exerting the same kind of pressure onto himself? Also, if he wins over Uno at Japan Nationals in December, can it simulates the same kind of pressure as if winning GPF?

I am sorry if my words are jumbled- my brain is taking a break right now.

I think at this point international judges don't care much about the Japan Nationals. They have 2 contenders, that's all judges know.

International judges did not care when Yagudin never won Russian Nationals anyway. International judges did not care when Adelina won Russian nationals as well, Yulia won European that season. One more thing, had Yulia skated clean at the individual event, they might have chosen Yulia.

US National will be hyped as their PR machine will focus on it so much like every year. So yeap, Nathan will get A LOT of hype and attention. And with Yuzuru sit out of GP, in Japan Shoma will get a lot of hype and attention for GPF and Olympic as well. 

Skaters who go under the radar actually still have very good chances for the Olympic. I don't rule out that we will see Yuzuru as gold, Patrick as silver and Javi as bronze at the Olympic. Uncle podium can happen. 

Anway, Yuzuru has Olympic team event to lash out his pressure. I am sure he will want to participate in that. Kohei Uchimura made mistakes at the qualification event before the finals at Rio when he did well enough to keep his title.

PS: among all these guys, Yuzuru has got used to pressure in the last 4 years, I think when it comes to the highest pressure, he has more experience than all.

14 minutes ago, meoima said:

I think as Yuzuru does not have to suffer the hype of GP series anymore, he will have more time to calm his mentality down and analyze what should be analyzed. Yes they will still pay attention to him as the reigning WC and Olympic Champion, but less hype from GP series is still somehow useful. Yuzuru will be fine. 

There is no way the Rock Star of Figure Skating will be able to escape the media craziness that is the Olympics. I hope he can find a way to handle it.

Yuzu seems to me to have become more anxious over the past few years, not less. Perhaps because I'm a former psychiatric nurse it's easy for me to see it in his facial expressions and body language. Another more obvious sign is that Brian finds it necessary now to coach Javi in a separate rink from Yuzu. The tension at TCC must be through the roof.

19 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

There is no way the Rock Star of Figure Skating will be able to escape the media craziness that is the Olympics. I hope he can find a way to handle it.

Yuzu seems to me to have become more anxious over the past few years, not less. Perhaps because I'm a former psychiatric nurse it's easy for me to see it in his facial expressions and body language. Another more obvious sign is that Brian finds it necessary now to coach Javi in a separate rink from Yuzu. The tension at TCC must be through the roof.

Actually, Yuzuru has become much more mature over the years. His pattern remains the same, but the way he accepts his situation has improved. He accepted to WD from NHK, it's HUGE. Yuzuru in 2014 would never do that. But Yuzuru in 2017 agreed to do that. He has grown. All these changes will be useful for the Olympics.  

The media is already writing him off already if you read FS articles nowadays. Ask Phil Hersh or Jackie Wong. Of course, they will pay attention to him, but he will not be the only guy who gets the only hype. Other guys will get that too. I have seen Kwan messed up her Olympic, I also saw Plushenko messed up his first Olympic too. So yes... The Olympic hype is like nothing else.

Olympic pressure makes you do something uncharacteristic the most, if you're a psychiatric nurse you know that.

9 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

I think it's the media weighing over him. Literally all of Japan and soooo many people outside of Japan speak of him. He has an exhibition of his photos. This alone is so much pressure for such a young athlete who never wanted to be an idol. I can understand how that affects his emotional wellbeing. I agree that he does seem more anxious, but you also have to consider that we don't see him on a daily basis. Probably, his peak of anxiety is during competitions. He wanted to compete a lot in NHK, and was in shock when he ended up injured. I think anyone would have been, in his position. 

Overall, I think Yuzuru is not in an emergency situation, anxiety-speaking. I believe he can deliver the performances he craves so much.

In a field like figure skating, where we see so often athletes having psychological issues (even athletes retiring because of eating disorders and depression...), it's fundamental to observe an athlete's mental state when going into a competition. Yuzuru is extra-intense, emotionally, so he has the element of surprise: you never know what's it gonna be, disaster or world record? But, ultimately, I think he can overcome his anxieties, because his positive energy, his belief in himself, are stronger than his fears. 

36 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

I bet the problem is actually with Javi and not Yuzu. Brian has mentioned before that he gets demotivated by failer and we know he got spooked by the scores at worlds. So it makes sense that he would find it demoralizing watching Yuzu practicing the 4Lz and his 5 quad layout every day. Yuzu on the other hand gets more motivated by others so I don't think that practicing with Javi is any problem to him.

17 hours ago, Neenah said:

Since it is Yuzu the king of extra, he will probably take off and not come back down at all  :xD:

Somebody please do an edit of Yuzu taking off and spinning off into space (preferably with wacky music) :war:

13 hours ago, kaeryth said:

By the way, is this one of his messages at the Sendai exhibition?

You know, only a couple days back I was lamenting over not being able to get his name quite right in handwriting but now I think mine might actually be more legible :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

43 minutes ago, meoima said:

Uncle podium can happen. 

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: for each and every of the uncles and Yuzu.

37 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

Another more obvious sign is that Brian finds it necessary now to coach Javi in a separate rink from Yuzu. The tension at TCC must be through the roof.

Once or twice a week, thoughn in a five-to-six days training regime, even assuming they do not share most of their practice times. 

Both Javi and Brian consider it more of a refreshing, switch from the normal move. I don't know how much of Javi's 'there's tension-not between me and Yuzu, but in the club overal' comes from his knowledge about Yuzuru's popularity and how much out of sincerity, but I believe into Brian's experience-with both Yuna, and his own experience from battle of Brians. Weren't he and Boitano friends too? Of course being friends doesn't equal training on the same ice, but I really think we're putting too much into that change. It might as well be that the practice time became more crowded, and Gabby and Javi are less likely to get recognized/approached by frenzied fans on the other rink than Yuzu or JunHwan, whose countries are crazy about skating (plus, Brian probably don't trust their ability to navigate through the Toronto, no matter what). Okay, or maybe Gabby is just less likely to be approached because they don't want to distract THEIR medal hopeful.

@Neenah something a'la Shooting Stars?

7 hours ago, anyanee said:

Guys, I have something very off topic to tell you. Today is my ninthteen birthday and I think about Yuzu. What Yuzu do at 19? Won olympic, world, gpf. But moreover that, how hard work and effort he has done at this age? I'm so lazy compare too him hahaha. So I decide that this year I will work harder to archive my dream, maybe not at Yuzu level but with all the best I can. I want to be better person because of him. :)

Happy birthday:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:! You know, when i first saw him at Sochi i thought the same thing:  "here i am, 22 years old, failing at uni and doing nothing useful for my life while this kid is only 19 and you can tell he just accomplished a big goal in his life." But it's never late to start working towards your dreams :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: i fulfilled a lot of small dreams i had since i was a bb mushroom (shh i was a mushroom too) after fully becoming his fan thanks to the motivation he gave me. And i still have a long way to go :biggrin: You are still young, i'm sure you will be a wonderful person and you will accomplish your goals too. The only limits are those limits you create :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

6 hours ago, MrPudding said:

May this cutie have fun and enjoy his time again this time round :10636614:

I love this videoooo

You can see him turning into a kid again, he looks so happy to be sharing the ice with his idol in such an important situation :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: i hope he continues to enjoy skating like this for many years more

16 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

You know, only a couple days back I was lamenting over not being able to get his name quite right in handwriting but now I think mine might actually be more legible :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

:13877886:the way he writes 羽 is painful to me haha. And i always find it funny that for some reason his 生 in his last name is smaller than the rest of the characters :P

40 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I bet the problem is actually with Javi and not Yuzu. Brian has mentioned before that he gets demotivated by failer and we know he got spooked by the scores at worlds. So it makes sense that he would find it demoralizing watching Yuzu practicing the 4Lz and his 5 quad layout every day. Yuzu on the other hand gets more motivated by others so I don't think that practicing with Javi is any problem to him.

I am quite on-board with this. People tend to forget that Javi is also competitive, but his intensity type is very different from Yuzu, in fact they feel like polar opposites. I imagine that if they were both together too often, there might be competition and intensity that would lead both to be a bit more reckless and lead to unnecessary injuries and such. Additionally, to better tune himself to his students, Brian would need at least a small break to switch gears when training with them. If separating them several days a week is what is needed, then I trust Brian's judgment to do what is best for his students-because this is being responsible to them. 

I'm probably more of the opinion that the tension between Nats and Olys is probably closer to NHK and GPF 2015. And he has experience in dealing with that.  Though at J Nats, Yuzu would have even lower expectations than normal from the press. Sure people expect a comeback, but I don't know if people expect him to break WR at JNats, especially if Shoma does well in the GP series. No one has defined "comeback" yet, and since he just recovered I am thinking people may even not expect him to "show up" for JNats, and certainly not peak.I think so long as he shows up on ice, it'd be considered a comeback. The pressure this season is actually more self-made by Yuzu, not necessarily as press driven as Shanghai and Boston (especially since he never told anyone that he had any injuries, baka Yuzu).

Going into Olys, he is actually losing external pressure and the much vaunted "momentum" in the press, due to his injury and missing out GPF. If he went to GPF, especially with Javi and Patrick sitting out, Nate and Shoma and Boyang in, the GPF will be portrayed as a mini Olympics showdown in the men. The headlines will be "Can Yuzuru hold off, alone, against the youngsters?" If he wins, more pressure and possibly mental exhaustion for him. If he loses, well I think everyone can think up clickbait news titles (and that type of pressure might be the type of Kuyashii that is bad for him). 

@meoima: have you seen Plushenko's interview on TSL? https://youtu.be/W4JDStBAufw It's kind of amusing that there, when interviewing with a US source, he said that his picks for podium were "Yuzu, Shoma, Nathan" or "Yuzu, Nathan, Shoma." No need to ask whom he favors. He does give honorable mention to Javi and Boyang, but poor Patrick is forgotten. Plus, his suggestion to someone to be an "angel of plushenko" makes me laugh each time, as I imagine someone twirling around in a white tutu on ice. 

Edit: I almost forgot. People mix the pressure from the press, and the pressure that fans heap on him. But Yuzu gains motivation from the fans pressure, as he said himself that the pressure from fans is not a burden. I wondered how this would make sense, but in a way he is right. Pressure from fans, and from the skating community/friends is a "pressure" borne from sincerity, and a well-wishing type of expectation from actual respect and love. It is unconditional genuine respect and love. The pressure from the normal press (he does not particularly care for) is a different type that is less sincere, and just "nosy" strings attached curiosity and adoration. The first type right now from fans and friends, is helping him balance the latter negative type from the press. At least that's what I think and believe in. =)

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

@meoima: have you seen Plushenko's interview on TSL? https://youtu.be/W4JDStBAufw It's kind of amusing that there, when interviewing with a US source, he said that his picks for podium were "Yuzu, Shoma, Nathan" or "Yuzu, Nathan, Shoma." No need to ask whom he favors. He does give honorable mention to Javi and Boyang, but poor Patrick is forgotten. Plus, his suggestion to someone to be an "angel of plushenko" makes me laugh each time, as I imagine someone twirling around in a white tutu on ice. 

I guess Plushenko did want to give a note to Japanese fans... after all he gains more from ice shows in Japan. Practical move. But as long as Yuzuru feels good with that, there is nothing for me to complain.

5 минут назад, meoima сказал:

But as long as Yuzuru feels good with that, there is nothing for me to complain.

Exactly my reaction. In my opinion, being in Japan, Plushenko didn't contradicted his own words from the NBC interview too much, so he couldn't make Yuzu upset even if Yuzu happened to watch NBC's interview (there were just different accents, Plushenko tried to be polite in each country). But he always roots for Yuzu. That's why, whatever it is, if it makes Yuzu happy, let it be. 

29 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

:13877886:the way he writes is painful to me haha. And i always find it funny that for some reason his 生 in his last name is smaller than the rest of the characters :P

I can't believe I was agonizing over the angle and length of those 4 little strokes and here he just draws 4 straight lines I'm disappointed Zu :idk: