General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

thanks for explaining!

tbh i wasn't really following what happened at Teb because yuzu wasn't competing in it (sorry)

i just saw/heard that marseille gpf was really bad so yeah...

I feel very bad for their sponsor honestly, the event was canceled, they could not get any refund, they wanted some arrangement and they got no answer. So of course after like 20 years, they had to call it off. Enough was enough. 

8 minutes ago, PapiandPooh421 said:

I kinda want to see him have a mustache (though just very light) out of curiosity. 

Korean/Japanese/Chinese guys tend to have real shitty facial hair save a rare and magical few. I don't Yuzuru would look good with face fluff sadly. I wonder if he ever gets super lazy and lets it grow? How long would he have to not shave for to get a good bit of stubble? haha

I think Yuzuru's English is pretty good? I think it's hard in competition environments because he seems like he'd get pretty frustrated at having a limited vocabulary so his brain is crafting these great responses to questions and then he's having to cram those thoughts into English. It's like trying to write a novel out of alphabetti spaghetti.

His pronunciation is pretty neutral which is good because American accents make my ears sad but he sometimes blends sounds weird or slurs a bit or outright over-pronounces which is a odd combo but there you go. He's clear enough to be understandable though. He is pretty good at sentence structuring which can be hard going from a SOV language to a SVO language. He has some vocab issues ('I was feeling very hard' when he wants to say something was tiring or difficult or he was trying very hard) and issues saying the wrong form of words that share meanings but has a noun form and a descriptive form (keep my pride/to be proud, Yuzu says 'keep my proud') but doesn't seem to have noticeable problems with things like tenses. And he seems to have pretty good audio comprehension. All in all, not bad. I would maybe do a bit of phonics work with him and he might benefit from a conversation partner who isn't also using English as a second language but he meets the basic requirement of being understandable. I don't really hear him say anything in English and have zero idea what he meant.

44 minutes ago, robin said:

Here:

Am I the only one who sees a canker sore inside his lower lip? :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

maybe.........BUT more importantly, I noticed the GOLD on his trainers...............fighting Yuzu <3 

Just now, sublimeskating said:

wow...

are you a linguist?

that's a pretty awesome analysis!

LOL at the american accent comment haha

i grew up around american accents so it sounds pretty normal to me but i can understand if it sounds annoying to others...

I've been an EFL teacher for 4 years :laughing: Though I mostly teach kids. And I lived with second-language speakers through university, though they were mostly Indian.

I get teased by my family now because I sound more American than I did 4 years ago because the kids found it super hard to understand me. Though I still can't say 'can't', 'water' or some other words the way American's do and my vowel sounds are often harsher so the kids make fun of me :13877886:

Some American accents are okay but most of them annoy me hahaha 

wow, that's cool!

do you normally speak with english accent?

i speak with a very strange mix of accents ... mostly neutral but sometimes a little bit american (according to what my classmates/teachers say)

i can't tell the difference between northeastern american/canadian accents very well and aussie/nz accents are hard to tell apart (although i'm slowly getting better at that because one of my teachers is from nz and he sounds different to aussie if i pay close attention)

Yeah. I'm North West English (kinda like this guy) with a tiny bit of Liverpool and a touch of RP because I had speech therapy when I was small and naggy parents.

Lol, I hear no Canadian accent. There is just Japanese accented English at this point. A key identifier between Can/Am accents is often 'sorry'. Sorry is the one word that Canadian actors and newscasters are told to change when they go to work in the US. We have infiltrated so many US news anchor positions and many Americans have no idea, lol. 

I figured he would be doing an interview or something in Osaka, and I was right. Japanese media could hardly pass up that opportunity and neither could Yuzu, considering it happened on camera at official practice.  It really was there for the whole world to see.  

He did look sad, and practically running  with them shows technical mastery from previous practice!! Rest that foot and enjoy the crutches, kiddo. They can be quite fun as long as you know it is for a short time.... might as well laugh about it. 

2 minutes ago, liv said:

Lol, I hear no Canadian accent. There is just Japanese accented English at this point. A key identifier between Can/Am accents is often 'sorry'. Sorry is the one word that Canadian actors and newscasters are told to change when they go to work in the US. We have infiltrated so many US news anchor positions and many Americans have no idea, lol. 

I figured he would be doing an interview or something in Osaka, and I was right. Japanese media could hardly pass up that opportunity and neither could Yuzu, considering it happened on camera at official practice.  It really was there for the whole world to see.  

He did look sad, and practically running  with them shows technical mastery from previous practice!! Rest that foot and enjoy the crutches, kiddo. They can be quite fun as long as you know it is for a short time.... might as well laugh about it. 

What's the difference between American and Canadian sorry? 

And I can't tell these two accents apart to save my life...

OMG BRIAN COX!!!  I LOVE THIS GUY <3

AWESOME SCIENTIST + PRESENTER!!!

also, RP sounds really nice to my ears!

i think it's one of the nicest english accents...

Haha it's really odd to have RP kind of careful pronunciation (I try to not let the ends of my words get muffled the way it does in my region) with standard Northern vowel sounds. But I think Brian Cox's accent is a fair approximation. But I used to get teased for being 'posh' in school for my little bit of RP hahaha

I could help Yuzuru speak a lot clearer anyway ;) I'd do it for free! 

Brian Cox's Northern accent isn't very identifiable to me either. Ok, 'add them UP' was probably pronounced... :)

but we digress - I wish everyone in the U.K. Would speak the way Brian does. Find myself in silly situations regularly when I'm not able to understand what is being said..

44 分, CupidsBowさんが言いました:

I think Yuzuru's English is pretty good? I think it's hard in competition environments because he seems like he'd get pretty frustrated at having a limited vocabulary so his brain is crafting these great responses to questions and then he's having to cram those thoughts into English. It's like trying to write a novel out of alphabetti spaghetti.

His pronunciation is pretty neutral which is good because American accents make my ears sad but he sometimes blends sounds weird or slurs a bit or outright over-pronounces which is a odd combo but there you go. He's clear enough to be understandable though. He is pretty good at sentence structuring which can be hard going from a SOV language to a SVO language. He has some vocab issues ('I was feeling very hard' when he wants to say something was tiring or difficult or he was trying very hard) and issues saying the wrong form of words that share meanings but has a noun form and a descriptive form (keep my pride/to be proud, Yuzu says 'keep my proud') but doesn't seem to have noticeable problems with things like tenses. And he seems to have pretty good audio comprehension. All in all, not bad. I would maybe do a bit of phonics work with him and he might benefit from a conversation partner who isn't also using English as a second language but he meets the basic requirement of being understandable. I don't really hear him say anything in English and have zero idea what he meant.

Over-pronouncing, that's it! That's the thing where you see him working his lower jaw a lot and his head bobbing to every word he manages to form and utter. It's a whole process you can see. 

And no I don't mean he's hard to understand. Not at all. Because he's somehow learned to not speak in Japanese phonetics (so the days in which you hear him go "Adobaisu puriizu!" are long gone), it sounds pretty natural (when he finally manages to say the words) so there's really no trouble at all *but*. But when his words run together like they did in that documentary, it gets hard to make out. What he does at press cons and what he was trying to do there are two very different things. In the documentary, he was also attempting to say deeper things and not about himself so I guess that's where the speed of his brain and his limitations in the English language got the better of him. I have no trouble understanding him most of the time but there, I could only tell it was English but the words were too garbled for me to properly make out without straining myself to both listen and decipher (and wishing I could understand Spanish so I could at least read the subtitles). It wasn't super hard, no, but it wasn't easy like it usually is with him either. It's really only there I had trouble so it could very well just be me *shrug*.

Also, when he speaks, you can tell he's really translating from Japanese first, instead of thinking in English and speaking from that.