General Yuzuru Chat

22 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I enjoyed the two Os but I would have preferred him to have carried on in his own way rather than do one tribute programme, much less two alongside each other.  Tribute could have waited until ice shows imho, but gratitude and appreciation of the qualities of others are also traits and he wouldn’t be the same person without them.  LMEY and Ten chi feel like a reset, and I’m thrilled to have them and Rondo.

Me, too. The tributes, however, highlight the fact that Zu is not only on par with his idols, but he has way surpassed them.

And yep, LMEY, Tenchi, Rondo, they all feel like him, programs only he can deliver.

15 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

shameless plug for a purely cruel poll

Where is the "I love them all" button? :64341262:

This poll reminded me yet again how many outstanding programs Yuzu has already skated and given life to. There are so many unforgettable masterpieces, most of which only he can perform. The variety of his music choices is also amazing. :loveshower:

Another thing I love about Yuzu's programs is how recognizable and unique every single one is. It's obvious how much thought, love, and effort flows into every single program. Every program has its own personality.

And then Yuzu's costumes! Each and every single one is a piece of art all by itself that supports the overall expression of a program and makes the program instantly recognizable and unique.

55 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Me, too. The tributes, however, highlight the fact that Zu is not only on par with his idols, but he has way surpassed them.

Agreed wholeheartedly , but he would have done that in an ice show, which would be more than enough acknowledgement of the people in question to my mind, and would have avoided the extra personal pressure of doing justice in competition to something that was a gift for them, but that’s his choice.  I’m a little sour about it because I don’t think either reacted as they ought to such an honour, although their reactions were completely in character for them both.

Asahi Shimbun "Witnesses of the Legend"

No.4 羽生結弦が望んだカナダ行き 語り合った食事会、トロントでの成長

Yuzuru Hanyu wished to go to Canada - A dinner where they talked - His development in Toronto

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASPDP5PY6PDJUTQP029.html?iref=pc_rensai_article_short_13961396_article_4

羽生結弦が、さらに飛躍する大きなきっかけとなったのがブライアン・オーサーコーチとの出会いだ。

2012年にオーサー氏のいるカナダ・トロントのクリケットクラブに拠点を移した。そして、14年ソチ、18年平昌と五輪を連覇した。

2人の橋渡し役を担ったのが、日本人として初めてクリケットクラブの会員となったフィギュアスケートコーチの樋口豊さん(72)だ。

樋口さんが最初に羽生を見たのは中学生のころだった。

「全日本ジュニアだったと思います。ジャンプ力、回転軸の出し方がとても上手だった。身体能力にも優れ、フィギュアスケートに向いている選手だなという感じでした」

羽生がオーサー氏からの指導を受けることを望んでいると聞いたのは11年。日本スケート連盟の元フィギュア強化部長、城田憲子さんから「オーサーコーチを紹介してくれないか」と頼まれた。

樋口さんはオーサー氏が現役時代、ジュニアの大会に出ていた時から知っていた。コーチになってからも親交があった。

「技術的にしっかりしていて、冷静で、あとはすごく優しい。コーチになってからも、あまり怒らない先生です」

10年のバンクーバー五輪では女子の金姸児を金メダルに導いた。オーサー氏の手腕を樋口さんは高く評価していた。

クリケットクラブについても熟知していた。樋口さんは現役時代、1968年グルノーブル五輪に出場後、クリケットにスケート留学した。

その環境も羽生には合うと確信した。

「クリケットはフィギュアスケート専門のリンクで、有名な選手が集まってくる場所。彼にはふさわしい場所だと思いました」

「リンクにはフェンスがなく、周りが鏡になっていて、自分の滑りをチェックできる利点もあった。氷もよく滑る。上級のスケーターは、いい氷で練習するということが、技術を高めていく要因の一つとなります」

2011~12年シーズンが佳境を迎えるころ、東京都内で羽生とオーサー氏ら関係者数人で食事をともにする機会を用意した。

Yuzuru Hanyu's encounter with Brian Orser was a major catalyst for his further development.

In 2012, Hanyu moved to the Toronto Cricket Club in Canada, where Orser is based. Later, he won the Olympics in Sochi in 2014 and Pyeongchang in 2018 in succession.

Yutaka Higuchi (72), a figure skating coach, acted as a bridge between them.  He was the first Japanese to become a member of the Cricket Club.

Higuchi first saw Hanyu when he was in junior high school.

"I think it was at the Japanese Junior Nationals. He had a good jumping ability, and was very good at making a rotational axis. I felt that he was an athlete suited for figure skating with excellent physical ability."

In 2011, Higuchi heard that Hanyu wanted to receive coaching from Brian Orser. Noriko Shirota, former Head of Figure Skating Division at the Japan Skating Federation, asked him if he could introduce Brian Orser.

Higuchi had known Orser since he was an active competitive skater in junior category, and kept a friendly relationship with him even after Orser became a coach.

"He is technically sound, calm, and also very kind. As a coach, he is a type of tutor who rarely scolds or gets angry at his skaters."

At the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Orser led Kim Yu-na to the gold medal. Higuchi had a high opinion of Orser's coaching skills.

Higuchi knew very well about the Cricket Club. After competing in the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble, he went to the Cricket for skating training.

He was convinced that the environment of the Club would be a good fit for Hanyu.

"Cricket is a rink dedicated to figure skating, and it's a place where famous skaters gather. I thought it would be a good place for him."

"The rink had no fence, and mirrors around it, so you could check your own skating. Its ice is good and gives smooth skating. For advanced skaters, practicing on good ice is one of the factors to improve their skills."

When the 2011-12 season was coming to a climax, Hanyu, Orser, and some other people had an opportunity to have dinner together in Tokyo.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
5 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Agreed wholeheartedly , but he would have done that in an ice show, which would be more than enough acknowledgement of the people in question to my mind, and would have avoided the extra personal pressure of doing justice in competition to something that was a gift for them, but that’s his choice.  I’m a little sour about it because I don’t think either reacted as they ought to such an honour, although their reactions were completely in character for them both.

I think Origin would have worked better as an EX or SP too, the music doesn't really seem suited to creating a program where the skater has to land 4+ quads because of how intense it is. It seems to demand faster and more energetic skating throughout most of the program without too many pauses, and as a consequence I think Yuzu often ended up seeming a bit slow for the music due to having to conserve energy for the jumps. 

Spoiler

At least Plushenko for all his faults has always supported Yuzu, whereas Johnny Weir :peekapooh:I feel like we here are much luckier than Yuzu when it comes to what kind of people our figure skating heroes turned out to be :13877886:

9 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

The last fresh crumbs in this year (in my country it is still 2021) :11135030:

Yuzu, of course we will continue to support you in 2022. Thank you for your beautiful performances at JNats:heartpound:

So he will spend the first few days of new years with skating. And I was hoping he would get a little bit rest now and relax. Take care of yourself Yuzu :smiley-angelic001:

4 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I’m a little sour about it because I don’t think either reacted as they ought to such an honour, although their reactions were completely in character for them both.

Yes, I was also very disappointed and, as you say, “sour” about their reactions to what should have been a great honour, but they are both self-centered dicks in their own way. At least Plushy has been, as @shanshani has said, supportive of Yuzu. Johnny is just a featherweight two-faced birdbrain.

41 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Happy new year from japan  :dancingpooh:

All the happiness to you the satellites !!

Hey YES it's true, you're in 2022 and like all those to the right of my Paris meridian (like Fay too) and I'm still at 5:00 p.m. or 5:00 p.m. and I wish you and also EVERYONE JAPANESE PEOPLE : A HAPPY YEAR and a thought for Yuzu at rest in his family and I stopped the video to write (well I admit that I do not understand what the guy says  :unsure2: ) but I discover the streets of Tokyo at night January 1, 2022  :puddingpooh:   and here is a new iconic Yuzu and his face when he hears that he is Chinese  :giggle: etc ... and his purple pants of the sin which makes so much write :hehe: