General Yuzuru Chat

48 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So does anyone want to play the 'let's speculate about Yuzu's new costumes" game? TBH, I'm half-expecting him to not have all new costumes. I can't imagine he'd have felt comfortable going  around to Satomi Ito's studio to get a costume fitted during lockdown/pandemic restrictions. 

I mean, this may...just may...be the year when Yuzu takes his 'honourary Canadian' status seriously and shows up in the Canadian men's team uniform of grey sweater and black trousers basically pulled from the back of his closet:muahaha:

First of all, do we know what he is skating if he skates?

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So does anyone want to play the 'let's speculate about Yuzu's new costumes" game? TBH, I'm half-expecting him to not have all new costumes. I can't imagine he'd have felt comfortable going  around to Satomi Ito's studio to get a costume fitted during lockdown/pandemic restrictions. 

I mean, this may...just may...be the year when Yuzu takes his 'honourary Canadian' status seriously and shows up in the Canadian men's team uniform of grey sweater and black trousers basically pulled from the back of his closet:muahaha:

I think this is unlikely at a very formal occasion like the JNats.  Perhaps he could be open to a more casual approach at a non-national event, but he is someone who feels the weight of the People's Award and JNats represents the pinnacle of Japanese skating.  There will be a great deal of social pressure to demonstrate the highest level of Japanese aesthetics as well as athletic prowess at this event.   I imagine that for him, wearing something casual would be akin to showing disrespect toward JNats.  Well, this is my own speculation - based on the cultural moraes drilled into me in my childhood - but I am of a different generation and I might be completely off base!   It's just fun to take note of different cultural points of view.   

I support whatever Yuzu decides... every day it feels more like a possibility that he really will skate at nationals, even so if he decides to withdraw at the last minute I will understand. I am worried about the safety of the event. I wish it was being held with no audience. But, if Yuzu does decide to skate I will treasure every precious moment of it as much as possible while being worried. 

It feels unbelievable we could see him so soon!!

And we don't know programs... or costumes... or anything...

26 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

I think this is unlikely at a very formal occasion like the JNats.  Perhaps he could be open to a more casual approach at a non-national event, but he is someone who feels the weight of the People's Award and JNats represents the pinnacle of Japanese skating.  There will be a great deal of social pressure to demonstrate the highest level of Japanese aesthetics as well as athletic prowess at this event.   I imagine that for him, wearing something casual would be akin to showing disrespect toward JNats.  Well, this is my own speculation - based on the cultural moraes drilled into me in my childhood - but I am of a different generation and I might be completely off base!   It's just fun to take note of different cultural points of view.   

Yeah, I imagine he may wear an old costume? Actually most likely Satomi already has his measurements and can put together something like Otonal or Origin costume but maybe a different color without having to fit it :smiley-devil:

21 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

...He may also chose to compete at Nationals with his 4CC programs, and to reveal his new programs (with which jumps?0:) ) at Worlds if they happen? For instance, to give "shorter Seimei" an interpretation he may find better — because, for Chopin, I wouldn't see how he could skate better. Or maybe, his new SP and Seimei as FS, as Chopin base value may be difficult to upgrade. Anyway I have no doubt he will surprise us. :ninja: ...

I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzu recycles Seimei and Ballade.

After all, he has not been able to train with his coaches. They will not be with him at Nats, which is not ideal for him since he tends to stress out at Nats and having his coaches there would really help him.

He has new programs, but hasn't been able to develop and polish them in person with his choreographers. Who knows what his training situation has been like in Sendai and how far along he is with these programs? It seems he received the SP from Jeff rather late.

Also he wants to regain his title, and he does need to give a strong performance at Nats to remind everyone that he is still the King, esp if the judges want to throw candies at Shoma and Yuma.

He hasn't competed at all this season, and we all know about pancakes, so given all this pressure and having to worry about COVID on top of everything, it seems to me he might want to go back to his comfort programs. Satomi can easily change the colors for those costumes too.

It won't be ideal to debut new programs at Worlds, but at least he would have more time to work on his programs and his coaches will be there with him at Worlds.

I guess we will see... :think:

3 hours ago, IceWings said:

It won't be ideal to debut new programs at Worlds, but at least he would have more time to work on his programs and his coaches will be there with him at Worlds.

About Worlds:

I'm not so sure that the situation of the pandemic will change that much until Worlds (despite of vaccines). JNats is a domestic event for Yuzu, so he doesn't have to travel abroad at least. Stockholm is a different cup of tea, especially with the exploding number of infections since November. It's uncertain that Worlds can be held at all. They just might cancel it last minute like they did Montreal last year. So JNats might be Yuzu's only chance to compete at all this season, but we'll see.

About Yuzu's programs:

1. You have to keep in mind that - with presence coaching or not - Yuzu had 10 months to recover from old injuries and mental setbacks, to strenghten his body, practice jumps and prepare new programs. 10 long months without exhausting travellings, competition pressure, media presence or ice show fatigue. 10 long months to build confidence and work on new weapons in silence. He never had an opportunity like this. Ever.

2. Remember that last year he had to travel from Canada to Japan for NHK, back to Canada and to Torino for GPF, back to Canada and to JNats. All that in... what? Three weeks? Now he can enter JNats without any jetlag, completely fresh and recovered. That is a very big advantage to last season.

3. As much as Chopin and Seimei are his pillars of comfort and success, he cannot use these programs forever. The uproar about recycling has become bigger with every season and it just feeds the bad narratives about him. I really don't think that he wants to add fuel to the fire.
    If I remember correctly, Yuzu wanted to have new programs last year after JNats anyway, right? He just didn't have enough time before 4CC and Worlds to create and prepare them. I do believe that after the cancellation of Montreal he had the new season and programs in mind already and talked with his coaches and choreographers about his situation before he left Canada. They have a plan for sure.

Just because we haven't heard anything about his situation for a long time, it doesn't mean that he hasn't done anything. I'm absolutely sure that - if he's really competing at JNats in a few days - he is well prepared and has something in the bag that is worthy enough for him to compete in the middle of a pandemic.

I'm sure he will do well. Much better than we think. Mom says that, too, and she's usually right:space:

18 минут назад, Henni147 сказал:

10 long months to build confidence and work on new weapons in silence.

I'd like to slightly correct that it still was less than 10 months, cuz at first it was lockdown, then he had studies, though I believe he still had his training.

But I agree it's completely different situation than at previous years, when he was exhausted.

Also it will be first competition not only for Yuzu, but for Shoma, Rika and Satoko too. Of course they had coaches and amount of pressure is not the same, but still.

3 hours ago, IceWings said:

he might want to go back to his comfort programs. Satomi can easily change the colors for those costumes too.

We have only seen green SEIMEI once, the shortened version, and he had only had 2 weeks or so to practice this before 4CC I believe so he could well view this as a newish programme (I do!). I for one would love to see him perform it well - he might not want that FS performance at 4CC to be his last competitive SEIMEI. Anyway, I’d love to see him skate to anything, or to nothing but the sound of blades, tbh!! :xD: 

Just the thought of seeing Yuzuru skating at all seems like  a dream... 

EDIT - just read Henni’s post and I think what is said about view of recycled programmes is totally valid tho...

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

About Worlds:

I'm not so sure that the situation of the pandemic will change that much until Worlds (despite of vaccines). JNats is a domestic event for Yuzu, so he doesn't have to travel abroad at least. Stockholm is a different cup of tea, especially with the exploding number of infections since November. It's uncertain that Worlds can be held at all. They just might cancel it last minute like they did Montreal last year. So JNats might be Yuzu's only chance to compete at all this season, but we'll see.

About Yuzu's programs:

1. You have to keep in mind that - with presence coaching or not - Yuzu had 10 months to recover from old injuries and mental setbacks, to strenghten his body, practice jumps and prepare new programs. 10 long months without exhausting travellings, competition pressure, media presence or ice show fatigue. 10 long months to build confidence and work on new weapons in silence. He never had an opportunity like this. Ever.

2. Remember that last year he had to travel from Canada to Japan for NHK, back to Canada and to Torino for GPF, back to Canada and to JNats. All that in... what? Three weeks? Now he can enter JNats without any jetlag, completely fresh and recovered. That is a very big advantage to last season.

3. As much as Chopin and Seimei are his pillars of comfort and success, he cannot use these programs forever. The uproar about recycling has become bigger with every season and it just feeds the bad narratives about him. I really don't think that he wants to add fuel to the fire.
    If I remember correctly, Yuzu wanted to have new programs last year after JNats anyway, right? He just didn't have enough time before 4CC and Worlds to create and prepare them. I do believe that after the cancellation of Montreal he had the new season and programs in mind already and talked with his coaches and choreographers about his situation before he left Canada. They have a plan for sure.

Just because we haven't heard anything about his situation for a long time, it doesn't mean that he hasn't done anything. I'm absolutely sure that - if he's really competing at JNats in a few days - he is well prepared and has something in the bag that is worthy enough for him to compete in the middle of a pandemic.

I'm sure he will do well. Much better than we think. Mom says that, too, and she's usually right:space:

I always love it when I agree with your mom (and you, too, of course). It makes me feel so smart!

:gla:

5 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

I always love it when I agree with your mom (and you, too, of course). It makes me feel so smart!

:gla:

Oh, she's really looking forward to Nationals. She promised that - if Yuzu competes - she'll make hot crêpes with chocolate sauce and roasted almonds with brown sugar... to celebrate his return to competition properly :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

1 minute ago, Henni147 said:

Oh, she's really looking forward to Nationals. She promised that - if Yuzu competes - she'll make hot crêpes with chocolate sauce and roasted almonds with brown sugar... to celebrate his return to competition properly :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

One more good reason to hope that he competes -- while being nervous about his health all the while! Sigh. Fanuy-dom is not for sissies!

25 минут назад, Henni147 сказал:

I'll buy wine and cheese, if... :P