General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This only highlights even more how unusual a step this is for them, to my way of thinking. Plus it also makes me wonder if Boyang has high connections and if so, what kind. But maybe this talk is getting too political? 

Anyway, congratulations Yuzuru. What a lovely honour! 

with all those hints they were sending to Yuzu to go for a 3 peat, I think it's only about China wanting to ensure successful Olympics, and if they can have a strong OGM contender it would draw more attention form their general audience... and they know Boyang has all the technical goods to be that but needs work on areas where TCC excels (and probably they also want to do something about Boyang's "reputation", because they are smart and they can draw the same conclusions we draw when we compare Boyang and Nathan's 6 quad program and the PCS they got)

So all that long interview where Zhao talked about Yuzu (among other things) was part of their big plan for world dominance Boyang's move:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

2 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

A closer look at the award... Yuzu will love it :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

They should attach a ribbon to it so he can hang it around his neck. Nice giant bling to end all blings.

3 時間前, Echukaさんが言いました:

I’m very happy for Yuzu, but if being awarded this title will impose any additional duties or any requirements or restrictions to his social or private life then it will not be that good.

And yet, it'd probably still afford him a lot more freedom than he seems to have been affording himself all his life. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Guy doesn't seem to be cut out for a life of excess so I don't think we'll ever hear about him drunkenly hurting someone (and sending them to the hospital) or forcibly kissing underaged schoolgirls. He may get into, i dunno, online gaming wars or something but everyone involved is incognito so.

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:
11 hours ago, asiacheetah said:

The one I'm surprised about is that it's Shue that approached Brian at WC. I've always known she's a coach along with her husband heading up Chinese FS, but she's always been so behind the scenes.

This only highlights even more how unusual a step this is for them, to my way of thinking. Plus it also makes me wonder if Boyang has high connections and if so, what kind. But maybe this talk is getting too political? 

Anyway, congratulations Yuzuru. What a lovely honour! 

I said much the following in a post on another thread, but I think the Chinese authorities are needing a poster-athlete for Beijing 22.  When seeking such their search is limited essentially to those in the glamor sports, which for winter Olympics are skiing and figure-skating.  Right now Boyang is the best candidate they have since he's the one Chinese skier or figure-skater firmly entrenched in the elite of his sport, but his image needs an upgrade.  The Chinese skating program is essentially too insular to bring that about so the authorities there decided where best to accomplish this.  Having Boyang at TCC working under Brian Orser and training alongside the most visible figure-skater on the planet, Yuzuru Hanyu, exactly fills the bill as far as they are concerned.  At least the way I see it the Chinese authorities probably wanted a situation like this as much if not even more than Boyang himself.  They need a poised and articulate athlete to speak for the Chinese in 2022 and who could be a better model than Yuzuru Hanyu, who has skills in handling the media (skills preeminently based on just being himself when before the press) that are hard to equal.  Add to that there seems to be a growing friendship between Boyang and Yuzuru that also would be invaluable in that it would highlight Boyang as becoming a member of figure-skating's 'Beautiful People'.  For Yuzu, of course, it's good that he is acquiring a replacement for Javi although I can see between Yuzu and Boyang a relationship considerably different from the Yuzu/Javi one.  Yuzu and Boyang seem to be relating in ways that go beyond skating, although how the relationship will develop from where it is now I'm not willing to speculate on.

15 hours ago, kaeryth said:

It may be a direct quote from Brian but this is also the guy who flat out lied to media in PC saying Yuzuru is pain free. So... yeah... :meditationf:

ETA: Mainly, what I'm saying is Brian (or TCC) are media savvy and we should learn to trust them.

To be fair, it wasn't just Brian who pretended Yuzu was fine before the Games, Yuzu himself also said nothing until afterwards. Brian has since admitted it was a strategic choice made to ensure the other skaters and coaches didn't get Ideas about how they.might be able to surpass Yuzu.

I don't know how but I knew about this 2-3 days ago O_O I may have scrolled through so many sources that I can't tell them apart anymore :peek:

But Congratulations Yuzuuuu!! おめでとう <3 And yay to me for being able to read this super easy lil sentence in Hiragana after a few days of learrning XD

On board with the scrunchy Yuzu :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

4 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I said much the following in a post on another thread, but I think the Chinese authorities are needing a poster-athlete for Beijing 22.  When seeking such their search is limited essentially to those in the glamor sports, which for winter Olympics are skiing and figure-skating.  Right now Boyang is the best candidate they have since he's the one Chinese skier or figure-skater firmly entrenched in the elite of his sport, but his image needs an upgrade.  The Chinese skating program is essentially too insular to bring that about so the authorities there decided where best to accomplish this.  Having Boyang at TCC working under Brian Orser and training alongside the most visible figure-skater on the planet, Yuzuru Hanyu, exactly fills the bill as far as they are concerned.  At least the way I see it the Chinese authorities probably wanted a situation like this as much if not even more than Boyang himself.  They need a poised and articulate athlete to speak for the Chinese in 2022 and who could be a better model than Yuzuru Hanyu, who has skills in handling the media (skills preeminently based on just being himself when before the press) that are hard to equal.  Add to that there seems to be a growing friendship between Boyang and Yuzuru that also would be invaluable in that it would highlight Boyang as becoming a member of figure-skating's. 'Beautiful People'.  For Yuzu, of course, it's good that he is acquiring a replacement for Javi although I can see between Yuzu and Boyang a relationship considerably different from the Yuzu/Javi one.  Yuzu and Boyang seem to be relating in ways that go beyond skating, although how the relationship will develop from where it is now I'm not willing to speculate on.

You're definitely right about the Chinese wanting medal contenders in Beijing. I'm not really sure I agree that Boyang needs an 'image upgrade' so much as some different training from a fresh perspective. He has oodles of raw talent but needs to develop more control over his body and mental focus, is the way I see it. But his 'image' ...that is, his public image, to me seems very good already. I don't know what kind of changes China would want him to.make in that regard.

16 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

And yet, it'd probably still afford him a lot more freedom than he seems to have been affording himself all his life. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Guy doesn't seem to be cut out for a life of excess so I don't think we'll ever hear about him drunkenly hurting someone (and sending them to the hospital) or forcibly kissing underaged schoolgirls. He may get into, i dunno, online gaming wars or something but everyone involved is incognito so.

Honestly, I just want him to get the chance to go to a Blue Jays game while he's in Toronto...it seems like no.matter where he goes in the world, he never has time to enjoy the place...

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You're definitely right about the Chinese wanting medal contenders in Beijing. I'm not really sure I agree that Boyang needs an 'image upgrade' so much as some different training from a fresh perspective. He has oodles of raw talent but needs to develop more control over his body and mental focus, is the way I see it. But his 'image' ...that is, his public image, to me seems very good already. I don't know what kind of changes China would want him to.make in that regard.

I think they need someone who is perceived more as a skater in his own right than one who is a Chinese skater.  In short, I think they need to 'internationalize' Boyang's reputation.  Also they need someone who can deal with international media.  Yuzu's become an old hand at that and so is an excellent model there and the Chinese know how readily he is willing to help other skaters (witness his efforts to loosen up the so-very-shy Shoma Uno).  I agree with you on the Chinese wanting medal contenders and how TCC might offer a good alternative approach as far as Boyang's skating skills are concerned.  My concerns here were that they need somebody to be an athlete spokesperson when one is needed but in order to do that they have to have an athlete who is readily recognized outside of China.  Boyang is best-placed to move into that position and his going to TCC is meant to bring about the desired result.

10 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Honestly, I just want him to get the chance to go to a Blue Jays game while he's in Toronto...it seems like no.matter where he goes in the world, he never has time to enjoy the place...

I'm sure if he wanted to go someone would arrange it for him - the fact that he doesn't do these things when others would suggests to me that he's really not interested.  He seems to like all the things that keep one of my sons at home all the time, emerging only to work, eat out with a favoured few friends, and attend family occasions where there's a three line whip.  Some people are like that.

The Yuzu influence: 

Was going through a store for a birthday present for my 2year old cousin and lo and behold, what do I find? A little yellow honey loving bear. He's going to find a good home now.

3 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I'm sure if he wanted to go someone would arrange it for him - the fact that he doesn't do these things when others would suggests to me that he's really not interested.  He seems to like all the things that keep one of my sons at home all the time, emerging only to work, eat out with a favoured few friends, and attend family occasions where there's a three line whip.  Some people are like that.

In interviews (such as the one he just gave in Kanazawa), he always sounds like it's a combination of being terribly busy and too famous to go out safely, that holds him back. Anyway, the reason I mentioned baseball is because I know he's a fan. Although he missed his chance to see Ohtani play in Toronto, those games were right before the start of FAOI so no dice. 

7 hours ago, LadyLou said:

have you already watched all five Kenji's room episodes?   the host is Kenji Miyamoto, who also choreographed some of Yuzuru's EX programs (Hana ni Nare and Requiem among them). They cover many different subjects. 

It's very hilarious but also poignant and very informative (can't thank @¯\_(ツ)_/¯ enough, I still cackle everytime I remember Yuzu's "Like.A.Hawk":rofl:)   :68271262::68271262:

Thank you!!!! This is the kind of content we should all see as newborn fans 😍✨

5 hours ago, micaelis said:

I said much the following in a post on another thread, but I think the Chinese authorities are needing a poster-athlete for Beijing 22.  When seeking such their search is limited essentially to those in the glamor sports, which for winter Olympics are skiing and figure-skating.  Right now Boyang is the best candidate they have since he's the one Chinese skier or figure-skater firmly entrenched in the elite of his sport, but his image needs an upgrade.  The Chinese skating program is essentially too insular to bring that about so the authorities there decided where best to accomplish this.  Having Boyang at TCC working under Brian Orser and training alongside the most visible figure-skater on the planet, Yuzuru Hanyu, exactly fills the bill as far as they are concerned.  At least the way I see it the Chinese authorities probably wanted a situation like this as much if not even more than Boyang himself.  They need a poised and articulate athlete to speak for the Chinese in 2022 and who could be a better model than Yuzuru Hanyu, who has skills in handling the media (skills preeminently based on just being himself when before the press) that are hard to equal.  Add to that there seems to be a growing friendship between Boyang and Yuzuru that also would be invaluable in that it would highlight Boyang as becoming a member of figure-skating's 'Beautiful People'.  For Yuzu, of course, it's good that he is acquiring a replacement for Javi although I can see between Yuzu and Boyang a relationship considerably different from the Yuzu/Javi one.  Yuzu and Boyang seem to be relating in ways that go beyond skating, although how the relationship will develop from where it is now I'm not willing to speculate on.

Excellent analysis, and the subsequent answer as well. I was just happy he was going to be there and excited to see his growth, but this opened my eyes a little! :thanks: