General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

There is a difference between hyping up your skater to the point where he is God, which is what was done with Nathan pre-Olympics and having at least a somewhat objective coverage, which is what, for example, you'll see with the Japanese (or the Spanish, who have been quite complimentary of Yuzuru for example). In my opinion, NBC, and the whole of US media, actually did Nathan Chen a disservice with this type of behavior because the pressure was enormous and he could not handle it. He cracked when it counted the most but it really wasn't surprising; many expected it. The way they behaved after the SP wasn't pretty either.

In terms of Yuzuru, I think they can be both all right, which is usually what happens in the actual moment (when he's skating) but overall, it's very hit and miss how they behave towards him (and not just him). I honestly think it is a disservice to the general public in the USA that more isn't being done to introduce others to all of them, not just Yuzuru, because I refuse to accept the cop out that is USA wants only USA. No, I think that's a lazy excuse and there are plenty of Americans who would have no issues enjoying a more varied coverage. Of course that the 'local' skaters get the most focus but balance is possible.

In re to this, as I said, yes, I do find the Japanese to be more balanced in their overall approach to skating and I find them to be much more open towards international skaters as a whole as their public is very educated. You can easily see this in the skaters who do ice shows there. Granted, it's probably difficult to get a view of how things are in Japan due to the language barrier, when it comes to the media. Nathan Chen is for example very popular there and quite appreciated and this isn't new, he has been since his first Senior season.

As for Instagram, Twitter, etc, we here alas can do very little about it but if you encounter it on this board, please report it. Saying that someone thinks coverage isn't good in the US isn't hate though. It's a valid opinion, even if we don't agree at all, or partially with it ;)

If USA broadcasters talk about Nathan like he's a god, then they talk about Yuzu like he's the God of all Gods - Zeus. PLUS, and this is very important:  Figure Skating has been dying in the USA. Japanese skaters have so much support, they don't even need the hype, whereas skaters in the USA are constantly having to give up their sport because there is so little interest here now. They NEED the extra coverage just to make ends meet. To wish that Nathan got less coverage is basically wishing that he would lose his career. And what are all of YOU watching, anyway? Please show me any USA media bashing Yuzu, I'm honestly curious. It feels like I'm missing something when I hear all this bit about how the US doesn't appreciate Yuzu.

14 minutes ago, Toni said:

To wish that Nathan got less coverage is basically wishing that he would lose his career. 

As far as I am concerned, this is an extreme conclusion which really has nothing to do with what I said nor does it correspond to the actual state of things. We'll agree to disagree as our opinions fundamentally differ.

Please show me any USA media bashing Yuzu, I'm honestly curious. 

I don't recall I said USA media bashed Yuzuru; I said their approach to skating coverage needs to be more balanced in my opinion. That is not the same thing.

3 minutes ago, k8y said:

I don't speak Japanese but hear from people that Yuzu speaks very eloquently and beautifully. I would love to hear this explained in greater detail!  

He does <3  I wish i was more competent at the language to explain why but i'm sure someone who is less swirly impaired than me will be able to explain it

5 minutes ago, k8y said:

I don't speak Japanese but hear from people that Yuzu speaks very eloquently and beautifully. I would love to hear this explained in greater detail!  

You know, for me at least, even reading all the translations of both interviews and videos is pretty telling. No, we don't get all the nuances of Japanese itself, which is unfortunately our loss, but at the same time, we can still see how thoughtful and eloquent he is, even like this and we can catch glimpses of it. My personal favorites lately have been the pressers post Olympics. 

35 minutes ago, k8y said:

I didn't see Kurt on CBC, but he's seemed to have distanced himself from it in print articles: 

Re Hanyu and GOAT: “If you want him to be, you wouldn’t be wrong,”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/02/18/figure-skating/yuzuru-hanyus-second-olympic-title-reaffirms-greatness/#.WuEPb1MvzNY

and this from Phil's icenetwork article: "

But Browning thinks, with a few more world titles, Hanyu might take the nod. "That's the 10th time I've been asked that question this week, and the eighth time today," he said. "Had Fernández not beaten him twice (at the world championships) in the last four years, it wouldn't be a question to ask -- he would be (the greatest). But why not him?"

LOL that Kurt would think two more world titles is what would make Yuzu GOAT.

edit: it wasn't Phil's article but Lynn Rutherford: 

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/17/266642658/the-goat-hanyu-repeats-as-olympic-champion

I see those quotes as him supporting the GOAT status... just not 100% absolutely. 

Kinda OT, just my take on the hate on US media: 

I understand why US media hypes Nathan, he's their skater so of course. And even when the article was supposed to be about Yuzu and then i see it mention Nathan with no mention of other skaters, i understand that too. I'm not bothered nor offended by it. But i also understand that other people can be fed up especially if they've been fanyus for years and have repeatedly experienced Yuzu being ignored by NA media. That's their opinion and it's not like they're hating on Nathan. They're just simply fed up with the media. I'm the same with our local news lol. 

So, i hope this misunderstanding of "hating" will be cleared up. I think we're all mature people here, even the young ones, and the admins are strict on the topic of hating, so i don't think any hate will be in here. If/When we see hate in the other platforms, i.e. Twitter, then address that there. That's what i did when i saw hate on Nathan and Shoma and especially Yuzu. 

5 minutes ago, Erin said:

Kinda OT, just my take on the hate on US media: 

I understand why US media hypes Nathan, he's their skater so of course. And even when the article was supposed to be about Yuzu and then i see it mention Nathan with no mention of other skaters, i understand that too. I'm not bothered nor offended by it. But i also understand that other people can be fed up especially if they've been fanyus for years and have repeatedly experienced Yuzu being ignored by NA media. That's their opinion and it's not like they're hating on Nathan. They're just simply fed up with the media. I'm the same with our local news lol. 

So, i hope this misunderstanding of "hating" will be cleared up. I think we're all mature people here, even the young ones, and the admins are strict on the topic of hating, so i don't think any hate will be in here. If/When we see hate in the other platforms, i.e. Twitter, then address that there. That's what i did when i saw hate on Nathan and Shoma and especially Yuzu. 

I Won't name which specific group but I saw a swarm of playing down Hanyu from xxxxxxx when Hanyu wasn't nominated for 2018 Time's Most Influential 100 while Adam Rippon was nominated. My twitter feed were full of disappointed skating fans that a 2 straight title Olympic Champion in 66 years wasn't recognized. Adam rippon may be more influential than Hanyu celebrity wise due to LGBT rights, but Hanyu was more influential skating career wise and athletic wise. He influenced a whole generation of male skaters and to not be included in 2018 Times Top influential 100 with all he has achieved before PC Olympics and After 2 peat OGM, was... Downplayed on my part.  

Guys, please stop. I think here is not right thread to make conversation like that

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

Listening him talk to the Emperor and Empress, I wonder if Japanese have different way of speaking like my language. There is casual, respectful and a totally different way of speaking when talking to royalty. 

Agree, 

I wonder how can he not fell shaking speaking with emperor of Japan

I mean, i felt shaking when i talk to headmaster

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Bringing this back because I just noticed the kneeling man on the right tasked with holding the plushies. So he takes over from Brian's duties as royal fluff-carrier when Mr Hanyu visits Phiten?

DbnnszeWkAAFtYz?format=jpg

A thousand of these :biggrin:

Designated plush-carrier, a position of utmost importance  on the hanyu team:LOL:

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Bringing this back because I just noticed the kneeling man on the right tasked with holding the plushies. So he takes over from Brian's duties as royal fluff-carrier when Mr Hanyu visits Phiten?

DbnnszeWkAAFtYz?format=jpg

A thousand of these :biggrin:

I didn't get to say this earlier but I'll say this now, (also because it took 12 hours for me to also realize that Hanyu was in a friggin suit and he looked so good):

Gosh, whatever he was wearing here, really casual but a far cry from hoodie/tshirt and sweats, well he looked reeaaallly good. And his smile's so great and good to see. Like I keep saying about his smile ever since Olys and it's true everytime.