General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Toni said:

I wonder how you could have missed Johnny saying "there's a reason we call him our king." I also don't know how you missed someone asking Scott if he was the goat and him saying he might be.

I didn't doubt Johnny said that, lol. And I only recall Scott saying "Dick button is the greatest of all time" when asked if Yuzu could be the greatest of all time. So if you've seen any clip where he changes his mind, I'd love to see it.

5 minutes ago, Toni said:

And why should I "tone it down" if the constant America-bashers don't have to tone it down too. It's constant and insulting. Over and over again, I have to listen to hate being poured on people who LOVE Yuzu, just because they ALSO love Nathan, etc. I've ignored it, and ignored it, but after awhile, it wears me down.  STOP WITH ALL THE FREAKING HATE! This shouldn't be a place to share hatred. There's just too much of that in the world. PLEASE, everyone, PLEASE can't we just love Yuzu together without hating on anyone else?!

It's not hate if it's criticism...even if you disagree with the criticism. And I happen to think "I wish American media would profile skaters who are not American more, and with less bias" is constructive criticism, even if you think it's okay for them to do so. So I don't see the hate. For many of us, American media interests are very LOUD and it's hard to ignore them even if we want to, which is why you might see people criticize more than you would, say, a niche radio station in Nowheresville.

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I didn't doubt Johnny said that, lol. And I only recall Scott saying "Dick button is the greatest of all time" when asked if Yuzu could be the greatest of all time. So if you've seen any clip where he changes his mind, I'd love to see it.

Scott said this during the Olympic Channel broadcast. I think they called the show "Ice Talk" or something like that. It was a show before every ice rink event. I DVR'd it and watched this over and over on my TV, but I don't know if there's a Youtube clip, and I can't link you to my DVR. Maybe it's available on-demand where you live???  

4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

It's not hate if it's criticism...even if you disagree with the criticism. And I happen to think "I wish American media would profile skaters who are not American more, and with less bias" is constructive criticism, even if you think it's okay for them to do so. So I don't see the hate. For many of us, American media interests are very LOUD and it's hard to ignore them even if we want to, which is why you might see people criticize more than you would, say, a niche radio station in Nowheresville.

If you don't see the hate, you haven't been on Twitter, FB, or Instagram. It's really vicious sometimes and I just wish it would stop. Why do we have to be judgemental toward people who will never, COULD never be equal to Yuzu. I think we should be as indulgent as Yuzu. I mean the darling little boys are doing their best. It's really like Shoma won Gold, Javi silver ,and Boyang won bronze; while Yuzu created a new level -- let's call it platinum. There should be a "Yuzu medal" just for the GOAT. 

11 minutes ago, Toni said:

Over and over again, I have to listen to hate being poured on people who LOVE Yuzu, just because they ALSO love Nathan, etc.

I read it on another thread or in this one i think: People don't hate Nathan, they don't like the hype/judging around him. It's nothing against Nathan himself.

And no, this isn't the place for hate but i don't see anyone hating on anybody. If you see that please report it so we can figure out what to do, as unconstructive criticism towards skaters is against the rules.

12 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I wouldn't call The Olympic Channel, NBC, CBS, Universal etc. "niche" stations. 

6 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I read it on another thread or in this one i think: People don't hate Nathan, they don't like the hype/judging around him. It's nothing against Nathan himself.

And no, this isn't the place for hate but i don't see anyone hating on anybody. If you see that please report it so we can figure out what to do, as unconstructive criticism towards skaters is against the rules.

Okay, next time I see America-bashing, I will point it out.

23 minutes ago, Toni said:

I think I must have seen more US commentary than you. I wonder how you could have missed Johnny saying "there's a reason we call him our king." I also don't know how you missed someone asking Scott if he was the goat and him saying he might be. Listen to all the commentaries. They gush.

There is a difference between hyping up your skater to the point where he is God, which is what was done with Nathan pre-Olympics and having at least a somewhat objective coverage, which is what, for example, you'll see with the Japanese (or the Spanish, who have been quite complimentary of Yuzuru for example). In my opinion, NBC, and the whole of US media, actually did Nathan Chen a disservice with this type of behavior because the pressure was enormous and he could not handle it. He cracked when it counted the most but it really wasn't surprising; many expected it. The way they behaved after the SP wasn't pretty either.

In terms of Yuzuru, I think they can be both all right, which is usually what happens in the actual moment (when he's skating) but overall, it's very hit and miss how they behave towards him (and not just him). I honestly think it is a disservice to the general public in the USA that more isn't being done to introduce others to all of them, not just Yuzuru, because I refuse to accept the cop out that is USA wants only USA. No, I think that's a lazy excuse and there are plenty of Americans who would have no issues enjoying a more varied coverage. Of course that the 'local' skaters get the most focus but balance is possible.

In re to this, as I said, yes, I do find the Japanese to be more balanced in their overall approach to skating and I find them to be much more open towards international skaters as a whole as their public is very educated. You can easily see this in the skaters who do ice shows there. Granted, it's probably difficult to get a view of how things are in Japan due to the language barrier, when it comes to the media. Nathan Chen is for example very popular there and quite appreciated and this isn't new, he has been since his first Senior season.

As for Instagram, Twitter, etc, we here alas can do very little about it but if you encounter it on this board, please report it. Saying that someone thinks coverage isn't good in the US isn't hate though. It's a valid opinion, even if we don't agree at all, or partially with it ;)

I'd like to see examples of American media unequivocally calling Yuzu GOAT, because I have to say, I really didn't see it. They hem and haw and say things like, "He's the Dick Button of his generation" or "He's the greatest Japanese skater ever" or "If you wanted him to be GOAT, you wouldn't be wrong," but it is the rare commentator or skater that actually went out and said they considered him GOAT. 

Just an add on... Kurt on CBC certainly said Yuzu could be GOAT, specifically saying if not him, then, who? So, while not an absolute yes, it was a definite strong suggestion that he could be. 

In most sports there will always be debates about who is best ever. I cannot think of a sport where there is an absolute GOAT without some serious debate...except maybe Pele.... or Bolt. 

I didn't see Kurt on CBC, but he's seemed to have distanced himself from it in print articles: 

Re Hanyu and GOAT: “If you want him to be, you wouldn’t be wrong,”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/02/18/figure-skating/yuzuru-hanyus-second-olympic-title-reaffirms-greatness/#.WuEPb1MvzNY

and this from Phil's icenetwork article: "

But Browning thinks, with a few more world titles, Hanyu might take the nod. "That's the 10th time I've been asked that question this week, and the eighth time today," he said. "Had Fernández not beaten him twice (at the world championships) in the last four years, it wouldn't be a question to ask -- he would be (the greatest). But why not him?"

LOL that Kurt would think two more world titles is what would make Yuzu GOAT.

edit: it wasn't Phil's article but Lynn Rutherford: 

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/17/266642658/the-goat-hanyu-repeats-as-olympic-champion