General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh. The only American coverage of PC I watched was Adam Rippon and Leslie Jones &A tiny little bit of Johnny and Tara but otherwise I avoided. I dislike Scott H on general principles to begin with so never watch him

And Scott's comments regarding Yuzu and Nathan scoring....just bilious:sick:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If you look very closely, there is a screw upon that wall behind him. Only clue we're going to get. If it's a Phillips, he's in Canada :6a6943826e43:

I kid. I am sure there are other countries that have discovered the greatness of the Phillips screw & driver. 

I think you meant to say a Robertson or square screw. The Robertson screwdriver and screw were invented by a Canadian and is probably the best screwdriver/screw combination around because there is no risk of the square screw head being stripped.

The Philips screwdriver and screw were invented by an American in Oregon.

11 hours ago, KitSileya said:

I swear, that smirk looking directly at the camera in Parisienne Walkways just kills me ded every time I see it. It's such a knowing smirk - as in, he knows exactly what he does to us with that sensual program.

It's in LGC too. He sure knows exactly what he's doing.

6 hours ago, CaroSkate said:

In my opinion, Yuzu's charm is much more than just medals, or even his skating per se. His passion for skating, his personality, his stories of overcoming adversity, his image as a hope after disaster, and so on. And in a shallower perspective, his cuteness off ice and coolness on ice, his beautiful name, etc.

Not only is his skating a complete package, but also he as a person is a complete package too.:2lbkos0:

This may sound a bit cheesy, but I think, it's all about love.

Edit: Yuzu's infinite love and dedication for skating especially.

He loves and treasures his programs like his own children and you can feel it. On the floor and on the ice.

He loves and respects the sport, the athletes, the history and all disciplines, not only the one he competes in.

And he loves and cares for his fans. Even if he can't win, he always wants to leave something meaningful and make everyone happy.

A person who gives so much unconditional love, deserves to get all the love back. That's the secret behind Yuzu's popularity, I think.

22 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

This may sound a bit cheesy, but I think, it's all about love.

Yuzu loves and treasures his programs like his own children and you can feel it. On the floor and on the ice.

He loves and respects the sport, the athletes, the history and all disciplines, not only the one he competes in.

And he loves and cares for his fans. Even if he can't win, he always wants to leave something meaningful and make everyone happy.

A person who gives so much unconditional love, deserves to get all the love back. That's the secret behind Yuzu's popularity, I think.

Definitely! I actually watched Nathan Chen’s IG live recently and if I recall correctly, he says something along the lines of: in a way his studies come first because even if he wins the Olympics, he believes he needs to do something afterwards for his future. Of course, there is nothing wrong at all with his point of view, and I would guess there are many other skaters who think the same way. 

The thing is that what he said made me think of Yuzu’s interview where he said “I bet my life every time I skate” and “I was born to skate” and I feel this is one of the big differences between Yuzu and many other skaters - how dedicated he is, how he gives his entire being to his art. That’s probably one thing that gives his skating the “it” factor imo!

13 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Definitely! I actually watched Nathan Chen’s IG live recently and if I recall correctly, he says something along the lines of: in a way his studies come first because even if he wins the Olympics, he believes he needs to do something afterwards for his future. Of course, there is nothing wrong at all with his point of view, and I would guess there are many other skaters who think the same way. 

The thing is that what he said made me think of Yuzu’s interview where he said “I bet my life every time I skate” and “I was born to skate” and I feel this is one of the big differences between Yuzu and many other skaters - how dedicated he is, how he gives his entire being to his art. That’s probably one thing that gives his skating the “it” factor imo!

I think part of Nathan's attitude is something that grew from what happened with his Olympic experience. The pressure was too much for him and at the time his entire identity was pinned on skating. When his SP fell to pieces and he finished off the podium that everyone back home had been expecting him to be on top of, he needed to be able to find something other than skating that makes him the Nathan Chen the world sees. I know we're all sick of every commentator ever harping on about him going to Yale, and they do overdo it, but I think for him on a personal level it's been something that's helped take the pressure off his skating - perhaps part of why he's been so consistent is because he's in a better place mentally because he can approach each competition with the confidence of knowing that he is not just going to be measured by his success in skating. 

It's different for Yuzuru. He lives for skating. He thrives under pressure - we know that he loves it. But even if he wasn't competing - even when he isn't competing, say at shows, etc - he is all about skating and what he can do on the ice in terms of performance and skill, beyond whatever the ISU judging criteria is. Yuzu has a connection to skating that transcends competition and his success as an athlete. There's a drive to master the art and skill of it - Tracy said 'he's truly a student of the sport'. It's almost like he has a curiosity of simply finding out what is actually possible when it comes to skating. I think he's comfortable with who he is and how the world sees him so long as he's pushing forwards. He has never been complacent. He has never recognised room for improvement (even when no one else could see it) and not gone ahead and truly worked on improving, even when he was worlds ahead of the others. 

My bet, how Yuzu's incredible skating career will develop:

2021: "Hey. I have a serious chance to win the first OGM triple at Winter Games. Impossible to retire now."

2022: "Seriously? A technical and artistic program? No. As the captain I can't leave the sinking ship."

2023: "Wow. My current form is so good. It would be a waste of potential to retire."

2025: "Hmm... No figure skater has ever won four back-to-back OGMs. This is my chance."

2026: "Wait, what? A new discipline?! Men's singles' ice dance? I cannot NOT skate the inauguration season."

2027: "Single ice dance is sooo awesome! Just one more season! Please!"

2029: "Omg. It's my chance to become the first OGM in single ice dance and the first to win OGM in two different disciplines!"

2030: "Waaaah! They just allowed same sex pair skating!! I must-"

ISU: :13877886: :crazyshit:           Fanyus:  :loveshower:  :clapclap4:

7 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I think you meant to say a Robertson or square screw. The Robertson screwdriver and screw were invented by a Canadian and is probably the best screwdriver/screw combination around because there is no risk of the square screw head being stripped.

The Philips screwdriver and screw were invented by an American in Oregon.

Yes, you're correct, sorry! Going to go back and edit now to make myself look good. 

53 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

My bet, how Yuzu's incredible skating career will develop:

2021: "Hey. I have a serious chance to win the first ever OGM triple at Winter Games. Impossible to retire now."

2022:  "Seriously? A technical and artistic program? No. As the captain I can't leave the sinking ship."

2023: "Wow. My current form is so good. It would be a waste of potential to retire."

2025: "Hmm... No figure skater has ever won four back-to-back OGMs. This is my chance."

2026: "Wait, what? A new discipline?! Men's singles' ice dance? I cannot NOT skate the inauguration season."

2027: "Single ice dance is sooo awesome! Just one more season! Please!"

2029: "Omg. It's my chance to become the first OGM in single ice dance and the first to win OGM in two different disciplines!"

2030: "Waaaah! They just allowed same sex pair skating!! I must-"

ISU: :13877886: :crazyshit:           Fanyus:  :loveshower:  :clapclap4:

:LOL:

Well, the man never met a world record he didn't enjoy breaking...why not go for the longest-ever competitive career, while he's at it? 

7 hours ago, memae said:

It's in LGC too. He sure knows exactly what he's doing.

Every time I see it I think 'Imagine being the person Yuzu directs this look at for real ' (as opposed to part of a program)...and then I :13877886:. The day that happens, whoever the person ends up being, they will not stand a chance in heck, will they? You could almost feel sorry for them. 

Almost.