General Yuzuru Chat

it's not that weird that javi didnt know yuzu was sick during Nationals. as sweet as their interactions were it's not like they updated each other about their condition every other day. and aside from skating related activities, they have said they dont even hang out together....

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I may be a bit too skeptical and maybe wrong, but if Nathan really brings 7 quads in his LP during Olympic year, for me, there are two possibilities:

1) He doesn't deliver, so he has no possibility of winning because a non-perfect Nathan program doesn't win anything
2) He delivers, but the program is so empty of everything else even the judge panel will realize, and will penalize his PCS. Honestly, when you are doing 7 quads, how do you have the strenght and concentration to do high quality spins, steps, step sequences? Answer: you don't. Nathan was barely keeping it together with 5 quads. 

Well, some people already forgot that Tara Lipninsky with her childish performances won over a clean Kwan at Olympic 1998. Because she had 3Lo3Lo and Kwan not. 

Yuzuru clearly does not think judges will give Nathan just 80 PCS if Nathan landed 7 quads. Judges are blinded by the number of quads. And Nathan is AMERICAN. I would not be surprised if they threw out 90 PCS for Nathan clean 7 quads and no transitions.

I have said this many times in GS, Fsuniverse and here: Yuzuru definitely will upgrade his layout next season.  

12 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I wonder how did Javi not remember Yuzu had the flu and did not participate tho, doesn't that mean that Yuzuru actually stayed in Toronto, Canada during the Japanese Nationals? Or did Yuzu stay in Japan anyways? 

Anyways, I do agree Shoma is the most 'dangerous' among youngsters. Not because he's better than Boyang, but because his approach to figure skating is more 'dangerous' - pushing and pushing to make jumps with terrible and risky technique that gets ignored by judges and tech panels for... reasons. 

Actually, while I'm not a fan of Shoma, I do think he's a more complete package already than Boyang. And Nathan. But who knows, really, what they'll come up with this year...

6 minutes ago, meoima said:

It will be Nathan, who will probably do 7 quads in LP with USFA behind his back. 

And even Boyang. 

I don't even want to imagine that... But one has to wonder, if he does 7 quads all season, if he'll be intact by the Olympics...

I guess I'm thinking more in terms of Yuzu's aesthetic. Jumps + skating skills. When it comes to that, I think - as an unexperienced viewer - Shoma is a bit closer to Yuzu, with Boyang not very far behind. Nathan probably had potential, but if he keeps working on jumps, the potential will probably not see the light of day just yet...

3 minutes ago, xeyra said:

When he mentions that he's seen Shoma competing, it's after he mentions the bit about Shoma beating Yuzu at Japanese Nationals. I assume when he means 'watched' he means the competitions he himself has shared with Shoma before.

Yes, you're probably right about that.

And to be honest, I think I'd rather have Yuzu lose while sticking to his principles than win by becoming a jump machine like the others. But I think if anyone can make a many quads program look good artistically, too, it's Yuzu... so while others pile up quads and lose artistry, he might be able to do both and still stay ahead... We'll see!

4 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I may be a bit too skeptical and maybe wrong, but if Nathan really brings 7 quads in his LP during Olympic year, for me, there are two possibilities:

1) He doesn't deliver, so he has no possibility of winning because a non-perfect Nathan program doesn't win anything
2) He delivers, but the program is so empty of everything else even the judge panel will realize, and will penalize his PCS. Honestly, when you are doing 7 quads, how do you have the strenght and concentration to do high quality spins, steps, step sequences? Answer: you don't. Nathan was barely keeping it together with 5 quads. 

(ps: yay im a tissue box)

1) possibly

2) only in an ideal world. If he manages to peak at the right time he's going to be showered with candies.

(congrats :pbow:)

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I don't think it's possible to maintain enough stamina and strength to actually train a 7-quad and one 3A program with any consistency. It's scary just to think of it.

But a pessimistic possibility:

3) He delivers, and regardless of his PCS being low or high (they'll never go lower than 82 anyway), or his landings being only so-so, his TES will be so high it'll be impossible for anyone to beat him unless they have 5-quads, a 4Lz and awesome quality.

So, Yuzu..... work on it!

3 minutes ago, SydneyH said:

" Por lo menos yo me fijaba más en el japonés que en los otros dos porque ya en los Nacionales de Japón una vez ganó a Yuzuru"

well he's clearly talking about nationals here but hey , to not even know that one of your biggest rival withdraw from Nationals for flu ...that's quite funny lol 

It makes no real difference to Javi what Yuzu does in Japan Nationals, though, I think... Nobody seems to take any Nationals very seriously on an international level, as far as I've seen.

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

It makes no real difference to Javi what Yuzu does in Japan Nationals, though, I think... Nobody seems to take any Nationals very seriously on an international level, as far as I've seen.

But their National titles matters to the talking points. For example, how many people hearing commentary on figure skating and hearing Shoma is National Champion wouldn't assume the former Champion probably lost to him?

6 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Sorry, I assumed Yuzuru was in Toronto because of training. But I suppose he doesn't do much training in the middle of Competition period of the year. 

There isn't enough time between GPF and Nationals to return to Toronto for training, so every year since Yuzu started training in Canada after GPF he goes straight to Japan (or just stays there - like in 2013 when GPF was in Fukuoka).

In normal situation he returns to Canada in January.

3 minutes ago, meoima said:

Well, some people already forgot that Tara Lipninsky with her childish performances won over a clean Kwan at Olympic 1998. Because she had 3Lo3Lo and Kwan not. 

Yuzuru clearly does not think judges will give Nathan just 80 PCS if Nathan landed 7 quads. Judges are blinded by the number of quads. And Nathan is AMERICAN. I would not be surprised if they threw out 90 PCS for Nathan clean 7 quads and no transitions.

I have said this many times in GS, Fsuniverse and here: Yuzuru definitely will upgrade his layout next season.  

Yuzuru always thinks very highly of the skaters he's competing against. It's one of his strenghts. 
Mmh... but by upgrade, you mean 4Lz, right? I don't know why, but I wish he could keep a 4 quads program, and deliver it clean each time. That would be a lot of points. He could score up to 230 points. 

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Actually, while I'm not a fan of Shoma, I do think he's a more complete package already than Boyang. And Nathan. But who knows, really, what they'll come up with this year...

I can't consider him a complete package because of his jump technique. But he does feel more 'mature' in character, I think. Because of his seriousness and charm. 

5 minutes ago, liha said:

1) possibly

2) only in an ideal world. If he manages to peak at the right time he's going to be showered with candies.

(congrats :pbow:)

I have to admit I am a hopeless optimist so I always hope for a last-minute redemption arc for ISU judges. ;n;

5 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I don't think it's possible to maintain enough stamina and strength to actually train a 7-quad and one 3A program with any consistency. It's scary just to think of it.

But a pessimistic possibility:

3) He delivers, and regardless of his PCS being low or high (they'll never go lower than 82 anyway), or his landings being only so-so, his TES will be so high it'll be impossible for anyone to beat him unless they have 5-quads, a 4Lz and awesome quality.

So, Yuzu..... work on it!

Completely agree with you! 

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Of course it makes no difference for him but Javi is on social media , with what he's following it's almost impossible to not see a post about it so that's why I think it's funny , well he was really busy so ...

2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

But their National titles matters to the talking points. For example, how many people hearing commentary on figure skating and hearing Shoma is National Champion wouldn't assume the former Champion probably lost to him?

I don't think that's a problem. People underestimating Yuzu is good, IMO. Less pressure :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yuzuru always thinks very highly of the skaters he's competing against. It's one of his strenghts. 
Mmh... but by upgrade, you mean 4Lz, right? I don't know why, but I wish he could keep a 4 quads program, and deliver it clean each time. That would be a lot of points. He could score up to 230 points. 

I can't consider him a complete package because of his jump technique. But he does feel more 'mature' in character, I think. Because of his seriousness and charm. 

I have to admit I am a hopeless optimist so I always hope for a last-minute redemption arc for ISU judges. ;n;

Completely agree with you! 

I didn't say he's a complete package, just that he's more complete :happy: Admittedly I don't know much about jump technique, so it's probably not as glaring to me.

And I thought the WTT FS already indicated he's thinking 5 quads next season... I'm not sure just 4 would be enough and I don't think 5 would be too much if the program is constructed right - it didn't seem too much at WTT, even though the second quad was popped.