Nobunari Oda resigns as coach from Kansai University due to "moral harassment"

As I noted earlier, Kansai University has powerful connections.  The "Honorary Advisor" 名誉顧問 of the Kansai University Skating Club is no other than the recently appointed Minister of Olympics, Seiko Hashimoto.  When I heard that she had been appointed to this important position, I felt a cold shiver run down my back.  We have had a run of terrible appointments for the Olympics Minister - one of them was forced to resign because he made horrific comments about our top swimmer, Rikako Ike'e when she came down with leukemia.  Hashimoto is a fan of Daisuke Takahashi (there are photos of her forcing a kiss on Takahashi - talk about harrassment!), and she also made cutting comments to Hanyu-senshu to his face when she was supposed to congratulating him for Sochi gold.  I am deeply saddened.  I was so looking forward to Tokyo 2020 events, but her appointment has already ruined the experience for me.

I hope Nomura Mansai and Hanyu-senshu can find ways to exorcise the toxic spirits from the Olympics.   

All the news around Nobu's current situation is really infuriating :banginghead:, knowing the people involved in the affair it only confirmed how messed up the internal politicking at JSF could be — that'll be their undoing And God forbid they will drag down all innocent skaters with them when they go down because of it....

This is devastating. It must have been really bad for him to speak out like that, openly and directly, AND to have to take months off for health reasons due to harassment. It's not on anyone to be mentally "strong" enough to tolerate harassment, it's on the university/rink to not condone harassment and bullying!

--

Slight digression, but what is this? Were old tweets from Oda being brought up again recently?

2 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

All the news around Nobu's current situation is really infuriating :banginghead:, knowing the people involved in the affair it only confirmed how messed up the internal politicking at JSF could be — that'll be their undoing And God forbid they will drag down all innocent skaters with them when they go down because of it....

JSF and ISU are competing with each other to be the most corrupt, antithesis to sport organizations possible. Where there's smoke, there's fire...and this season is starting off already as a dumpster fire...

44 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

JSF and ISU are competing with each other to be the most corrupt, antithesis to sport organizations possible. Where there's smoke, there's fire...and this season is starting off already as a dumpster fire...

This whole year is horrible. John Coughlin in January, Eunsoo, more and more skaters coming as survivors of abuse/harassment/bullying. Now Nobu...

7 minutes ago, Paskud said:

This whole year is horrible. John Coughlin in January, Eunsoo, more and more skaters coming as survivors of abuse/harassment/bullying. Now Nobu...

At least more and more people are coming forward and dare to speak the truth. This also creates more public awareness and a safer environment for those people who have the courage to speak up.

5 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

At least more and more people are coming forward and dare to speak the truth. This also creates more public awareness and a safer environment for those people who have the courage to speak up.

I fully agree.  We need to create an environment that will not condone such behavior.  I was feeling encouraged that so many athletes in Japan were beginning to speak up, be heard and supported in their fight against bullying.  At the same time the government remains totally tin-eared about the mood of the country:  by appointing Hashimoto to head the Olympics, Abe admin shows that they are only thinking about increasing the number of women in the cabinet and not caring about the damage this would do in creating trust.   

2 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Remember how skaters on twitter/instagram/facebook and many other people from fs world reacted to John Coughlin or Eunsoo cases.

8 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

My Japanese dictionary also describes モラルハラスメント / モラハラ (moral harassment) as  

“moral harassment, workplace mobbing, workplace bullying, psychological harassment at the workplace”

Yikes. Poor Nobu! Why anyone would do that to him is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

The "Honorary Advisor" 名誉顧問 of the Kansai University Skating Club is no other than the recently appointed Minister of Olympics, Seiko Hashimoto.  When I heard that she had been appointed to this important position, I felt a cold shiver run down my back.  We have had a run of terrible appointments for the Olympics Minister - one of them was forced to resign because he made horrific comments about our top swimmer, Rikako Ike'e when she came down with leukemia.  Hashimoto is a fan of Daisuke Takahashi (there are photos of her forcing a kiss on Takahashi - talk about harrassment!), 

Okay well there's our explanation for Nobu's situation. And what it highlights is that this is going to cost him, A LOT. She and Kansai aren't going to let him just go public without a fight. I fear Nobu is about to be dragged through the mud. 

I thought this woman was in disgrace after the scandal over her kissing Dai. The fact that she's still around and still getting ever more important sports posts tells me she must be extremely powerful and/or have very powerful connections. This does not bode well for anyone connected to her, whether in her favour or not. Yikes. 

49 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Okay well there's our explanation for Nobu's situation. And what it highlights is that this is going to cost him, A LOT. She and Kansai aren't going to let him just go public without a fight. I fear Nobu is about to be dragged through the mud. 

I thought this woman was in disgrace after the scandal over her kissing Dai. The fact that she's still around and still getting ever more important sports posts tells me she must be extremely powerful and/or have very powerful connections. This does not bode well for anyone connected to her, whether in her favour or not. Yikes. 

She was not disgraced.  She remained president of JSF and now promoted to a cabinet level position.  Sadly, it's one of the reasons why I have moved permanently to Canada.  I know I should have stayed to keep up the fight, but I will have ended up a mental case or too angry to be helpful.   

7 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

She was not disgraced.  She remained president of JSF and now promoted to a cabinet level position.  Sadly, it's one of the reasons why I have moved permanently to Canada.  I know I should have stayed to keep up the fight, but I will have ended up a mental case or too angry to be helpful.   

Oh dear, sorry for you! 

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Slight digression, but what is this? Were old tweets from Oda being brought up again recently?

...oh.... :knc_brian3:

I mean, I get it, it's senpais time, but still, aren't (good) senpais supposed to make their kouhai feel included and seen? This made me feel wary, if the things already known to us were that bad (eg. D**'s stans booing Yuzu during Sochi FS run through), what with the things only known among athletes behind the scenes??

(....sure hope I was just overreacting on this -_- )