Team China

36 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

I was watching WC 2017 pairs SP and remembered Yu/Zhang. Are there any recent news about them? I can´t even remember what happened to them? Were they both injured?

I think some time ago Xiaoyu was on partner search, when Zhang was recovering from injury. I have no idea what happened since then.

3 hours ago, lajoitko said:

I was watching WC 2017 pairs SP and remembered Yu/Zhang. Are there any recent news about them? I can´t even remember what happened to them? Were they both injured?

She had a foot injury after the Olympics, they skipped the 2018 GP series, and then she returned at Nationals at the end of 2018 but I haven't heard anything about them since then. ETA: she was on partner search last year!

I think he also had some injury. He is well into his 30s so not sure they'll return.

35 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

Xiaoyu is looking for new partner.

47 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Wasn't she the one who quickly deleted that post?

Really? I remember news from November/December that she is looking for new partner.:huh:

EDIT: Okay, this tells me that he said that he is injured, but not retired.

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4454131463148617#comment

He is 36 already. Xiaoyu is 24 and soon third season will start when she can't attend a single competition. -___-

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Oh, no, yikes!

The craziest part of that whole thing is where someone said the mom was an adult figure skater who didn't take up the sport until very late in life. So she literally has no idea what she's asking of her daughter. The mind boggles.

6 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Oh, no, yikes!

Terryfying. The worst thing is that (according to some comments by mandarin native speakers) the whole article glorifies her mother. I hope somehow Nini has some other people around her who can bring other perspective and comfort her, even if just a bit. Even if she succeeds with her career, knowing current standards, it'll be over when she's around 20. What she will be left with then? 

Re: Nini's mother interview

I've read how the woman even picked a name for her child that would be skating-related. In different circumstances, it would have made for a cute origin story, but instead it was just a symptom of an unhealthy obsession. Now there's Nini living in her mother's twisted dream and there's no way to know if Nini would have ever loved and chosen FS on her own (with all the sacrifice it entails even when skaters are raised and trained in a better environment)

It's bad enough when it's the coaches being abusive, but when the parents themselves, who are supposed to watch over their children and support them and protect them, are the source of abuse it's... it feels hopeless.

Who will protect Nini, if her own mother is forcing her own twisted ambitions on her, through physical and psychological abuse? Will coaches and authorities be the one stepping in? Will they prefer a potential medal to the wellbeing of an athlete?

I'm not hopeful. I do hope that the article didn't get the reaction they expected, if what they expected was admiration.

Apparently someone had, in the past, reported Nini's mother for child abuse, but were there any actual changes for the better? It doesn't look so :/

ETA: also, what the f*** is Nini's father doing, doesn't he realize his daughter is suffering at the hands of his wife?

On a more general note

Spoiler

this is exactly why a sport organization must take responsibility and shape what's to be considered NOT acceptable. That's why they must stop normalizing abuse as a legit way to get results. There's a difference between pushing an athlete (even more so a young athlete) and emotionally destroying them. There are good coaches who can motivate their charges without turning into abusers, and they do get results. And there are good parents who won't mold their children's lives to fit one single grand vision they've made up in their mind.

So there is another way. And a sport organization can choose to make that way more *convenient*, or at least stop incentivizing and praising abusers.

ISU..well.. even for something like those stupid awards, 2 out of 3 coaches nominated for Best Coach have done some... questionable things (at best).

It's a small thing compared to others, but that, too, is a signal that no one cares about what coaches do in their rinks

And abuse can shape future abusers too

10 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Apparently, that's the source of their many arguments, he highly disagrees with his wife's approach but I guess that's not enough...

good that he isn't like her, but if all the arguing with his wife does nothing to stop the abuse...