IDK where the SOI thread is, so here is a brief review:

Karen is excellent. She needs better management.

Rippon was impressive live. 

Alex and Maia, especially Alex, are phenomenal.

The rest were not so impressive. I appreciate Brown's talent, though. I had very low expectations of Wagner, Tennell, and Nagasu, and they delivered on them.

Nathan Chen's ability, in its current state, is unquestionably vastly overstated.

1 hour ago, cirelle said:

If he manages to pull that off, I will be super impressed bc to me that seems more than usually super human even for a figure skater. 

If he does, that means Yale will be making major concessions for him. It's just not possible otherwise, not with Yale and not with his major. Someone who attended Yale explained quite well when Nathan enrolled what it actually means and he is so going to need help. 

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

If he does, that means Yale will be making major concessions for him. It's just not possible otherwise, not with Yale and not with his major. Someone who attended Yale explained quite well when Nathan enrolled what it actually means and he is so going to need help. 

True, but Yale does a good job of making buttloads of concessions for their Div 1 athletes, so maybe they'll do the same for their world champ :laughing: 

There's actually a small chance it might work? Unless Nathan's going for a new skill/jump he should pretty much have a handle on training by now as someone who has competed since he was young. Also, let's face it, choreography for his competitive programs isn't exactly up on him/his team's priorities so my guess is he will focus on jump elements over anything else (that strategy has been rewarding him so far). I think the main problem he might encounter is the actual practice time (hours on the ice) as he's not sure about his coarse load and how much he needs to focus on his studies to get good grades.

12 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Definitively. But I was more thinking about more mundane things like keeping his motivation and training up on his own without a coach in a new enviroment without his usual support system and competing instead of studying during reading week before finals. That’s some next level powers of focus. 

It's an ambitious plan and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.  I have watched several people over the years go to the most prestigious universities in the uk and even without the elite sports part it is very tough to suddenly find that you are no longer the best in your academic year, in fact you're lucky to be average tbh because everyone is very clever, hardworking etcetc to have got there in the first place.  Some cope beautifully - I particularly remember one individual who led a hermit like existence submerged in their particular field of study expecting to spend their life as a theoretical academic,  who quickly realising that the ultimate academic accolades they had hoped for were going to be out of reach, went out and got a life alongside their studies and eventually a very successful and lucrative career.  Others coped less well.  Throw in the sport and it's a hard thing to balance.

Well, with going to Yale, I suppose Nate's pre-Olympic interview about after the Olys, he wants to go back to his earlier balletic style (kid has more honesty than the people around him, it seems) won't be a priority now. I don't really see how he can keep up his conditioning, keep his training, and be actively involved in choreography to that level throughout the season when he's also taking regular pre-med at Yale. It would be amazing if he pulled it off.