General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

When he performed Ballade No.1 at PC, the entire audience in the arena as well as the people watching TV must have felt the music. He became the music.

Definitely this.  I remember watching skate after skate from group one up to him and when he performed it was like a dramatic shift to an entirely different level. Everything done was just...better and so sophisticated.  Without a doubt it was the skate of the day, heck, this past quad.  I don't care that it was only a 111, I saw ACI in person too and the Olympics was better. 

27 minutes ago, salty said:

all i know is is that i couldn't fckin stand figure skating until i watched him skate and now i know the rulebook by heart...….magnetic isn't a strong enough word for him

:LOL: I love this response so much!!

1 hour ago, fyere0 said:

I think what is so unique about Yuzu might be summed up like this: he has always been a person who makes 'what ifs' a reality. When he was younger, he was the embodiment of possibility, and now, in his prime, he is the greatest example of what happens when the potential of a remarkably talented young person is truly followed through on despite all the challenges lying in his way.

I think this is important. There are so many who are remarkably talented but don't get to achieve their full potential because of various factors. And so, so, so many odds were against Yuzu. 

Baby Yuzu! Is this the one where he said he would want to have a spot for himself to display his records here? Oh Yuzu, if only you knew that one day your” fantasy becomes your legacy”, that you would break World Records left and right for TWELVE TIMES and got  TWO OLympic Gold Medals(one of which on a busted ankle. :sadPooh:), have millions of fan from all corners of the world , many of those who don’t understand Japanese but faithfully watch all of your interviews , and most importantly you do it your way with tremendous efforts, talents, and sacrifices to overcome numerous hardships. Hats off to you Mr. Hanyu.

I honestly don't know what it's about Yuzu that makes me root for him this much. I agree with everything you guys have said about Yuzu. The thing is, there are many others who are also talented and have a good personality and also experienced/triumphed over hardships, but I've never been a fan of those people. There were times when I got interested in this athlete/celebrity, but I lost interest after a while. With Yuzu, it's been more than a year already and yet instead of losing interest, I'm getting more invested. So yeah, I agree with @salty, "magnetic isn't a strong enough word for him". 

1 hour ago, Erin said:

The thing is, there are many others who are also talented and have a good personality and also experienced/triumphed over hardships, but I've never been a fan of those people. There were times when I got interested in this athlete/celebrity, but I lost interest after a while.

This is my point exactly. Yuzu's the only one with this power of drawing people to him. I can't help but wonder why it's so.

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is my point exactly. Yuzu's the only one with this power of drawing people to him. I can't help but wonder why it's so.

I haven't thought of this before but now I can't help but wonder too. :embSwan: 

Maybe it's because Kikuchi-san is actually a warlock indeed (like what Spanish media said) and he has bewitched every fanyu. :rofl3: 

Sometimes answers are also to be found less in the realm of the mystic and pretty straightforward: Hanyu won an OGM... and then kept skating.

That will get you a lot of fans, simply by being in the spotlight (especially since he then continued to win competitions).

and then he won another OGM. And apparently still continues skating competitions.

People tend to like that sort of thing. ;-)

If he had stopped skating competitions after his first OGM, public interest would be much, much less by now.