Other Sports

sallycinnamon

1 minute ago, sallycinnamon said:

Not just broke it but by a near second which is incredible considering Phelps set that record ten years ago in the super dress era.

Exactly. He didn't need any shark skin dress and Seto and Chad Le Clos were really strong opponents. It's insane.

My highlight of the World Championships so far. Fantastic race :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

7 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Exactly. He didn't need any shark skin dress and Seto and Chad Le Clos were really strong opponents. It's insane.

My highlight of the World Championships so far. Fantastic race :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

I still need time to process what happened today... I mean he beat Seto by three seconds (!) , and that WR that seemed untouchable for 10 years is only history now. :13877886:He is 19, Phelps was 24 when he set that world record. Kristóf has so many years to improve I can't even imagine how far he can go. I just hope he stays healthy, he already had a heart surgery before... 

Anyway, the other Hungarian finalist, Kenderesi is struggling with an injury so it was no surprise he finished last. Some people were disappointed that as an Olympic medalist he has been struggling lately. Maybe it was hard for him that he won a medal in Rio and he seemed to be the new rising star, but soon after that Kristóf as a 16/17 year old started to beat him. Then came the injury too. I really hope he can come back stronger and healthy soon. 

It's great that we have so many finalists though - for example in 100 m freestyle too which is very good considering we are not a freestyle nation at all. In a country where only medalists are respected a lot in swimming, these results are also very strong and those who achieve them could get more credit for their successess. 

11 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I still need time to process what happened today... I mean he beat Seto by three seconds (!) , and that WR that seemed untouchable for 10 years is only history now. :13877886:He is 19, Phelps was 24 when he set that world record. Kristóf has so many years to improve I can't even imagine how far he can go. I just hope he stays healthy, he already had a heart surgery before... 

Anyway, the other Hungarian finalist, Kenderesi is struggling with an injury so it was no surprise he finished last. Some people were disappointed that as an Olympic medalist he has been struggling lately. Maybe it was hard for him that he won a medal in Rio and he seemed to be the new rising star, but soon after that Kristóf as a 16/17 year old started to beat him. Then came the injury too. I really hope he can come back stronger and healthy soon. 

It's great that we have so many finalists though - for example in 100 m freestyle too which is very good considering we are not a freestyle nation at all. In a country where only medalists are respected a lot in swimming, these results are also very strong and those who achieve them could get more credit for their successess. 

Big yes! I really hate the attitude that nothing but gold and podium placements count. You have to look at the debth and diversity of the team, the development over the years and the circumstances, too. It's great that Hungary has so many finalists this year with Milak, Hosszu, Kapas, Szilagy, Kenderesi, Nemeth, Kesely and so on.

Same with the German team that really struggled over the last decade and has now finalists with Kohler, Hentke, Heinz, two relay teams and probably Koch as well. If you compare this with the Netherlands, one of the biggest swimming feds in the era of Pieter van den Hoogenband... they are only a shadow of their own at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In just 1.18 seconds air time and reaching a height of 9ft 4in Gymnast Simone Biles undertook the massive Triple-Double in the floor exercise last week.  Simon Barnes of "The Times" said he thought it was the most devastating performance since Olga Korbuy's back-somersault on beam in 1972. 

2019 is a good year for jumps.  Good luck with the 4A Yuzu.  Once you've got it I shall be writing to Simon!! 🍀

• 2 weeks later...

There was a horrible accident in Formula 2 today, at the Belgian race in Spa. The accident happened shortly after the race had started and involved several drivers - the car of one of the drivers, GP3 champion Anthoine Hubert's tore into two pieces. He didn't survive the crash. One other driver is in stable condition at least, the others are OK.

Very sad news. As far as I know the last fatality in F2 was 10 years ago. Despite how much security has improved in motorsports in the past few decades it's still a very, very dangerous sport in which drivers risks their lives every day and fatalities still happen.

RIP.

I think Ayrton Senna was the last fatality- it’s so easy to forget how dangerous sport can be.

Naomi Osaka is establishing herself as an absolute sweetheart - even my children who aren’t interested in tennis were talking about this 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/49539902

47 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I think Ayrton Senna was the last fatality- it’s so easy to forget how dangerous sport can be.

Naomi Osaka is establishing herself as an absolute sweetheart - even my children who aren’t interested in tennis were talking about this 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/49539902

In Formula 1, Senna was the last fatality for a long time - for 21 years, when Jules Bianchi died in the summer of 2015 after he suffered a horrible crash in 2014 and was in coma for many months. 

In other series there were more fatalities though. Yesterday it happened in Formula 2, and the last time someone died in F2 was 10 years ago (even though it was not exactly the same series but the name was the same).

And then we have Nascar and IndyCar in America where many fatalities happened in the past decades too. 

--

Naomi is so sweet. <3 

I'm trying to follow US Open but most matches are late in the evening or during the night. :13877886:

I’m really pleased - Serena treats the USOpen as though she’s entitled to win and her behaviour last year was appalling.  I dislike Margaret Court and her views as much as anyone but if Serena is to beat her record I’d like it to be somewhere where there is no home advantage.  I may be wrong but I don’t think she behaves quite as badly anywhere else.  Arthur Ash was a wonderful, gentlemanly player - him beating the oaf Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon is a treasured memory for me - I think he would totally disapprove of the sort of behaviour she routinely indulges in in the stadium named after him.

23 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I’m really pleased - Serena treats the USOpen as though she’s entitled to win and her behaviour last year was appalling.  I dislike Margaret Court and her views as much as anyone but if Serena is to beat her record I’d like it to be somewhere where there is no home advantage.  I may be wrong but I don’t think she behaves quite as badly anywhere else.  Arthur Ash was a wonderful, gentlemanly player - him beating the oaf Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon is a treasured memory for me - I think he would totally disapprove of the sort of behaviour she routinely indulges in in the stadium named after him.

ITA. I remember the incident where she threatened to shove the ball down the lines person's throat... just for her antics at the US Open, and comments/behaviours at other times when she loses, I have little respect for her. Last year was a disgrace and I'll never forget Naomi Osaka's tears on what should have been her happiest moment. This year the American commentators were saying how wonderful Serena was for comforting Naomi at that time and all I could think of was * but she was the one who caused it.*  Someone who has won as many titles as she has should show more class. Every person is different, of course, and emotions come out sometimes, but you can never go wrong comporting yourself a la Roger and Rafa.

Liverpool FC want to trademark the name of the city - locals, including supporters of the team are up in arms.  The owners are a US corporate.  Today the fans are wearing non club sponsored T-shirts made by small independent firms to the game in protest.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-26/liverpool-fc-wants-to-trademark-the-word-liverpool/

• 2 weeks later...