Yuzuru Hanyu on Wikiquote (discussion thread)

Henni147

The idea of a page for Yuzu on Wikiquote is taking concrete shape now, so I created this discussion thread here on the Planet to share quotes and exchange opinions.

Here is the latest update on the page:  Yuzuru Hanyu on Wikiquote

The two main purposes of this project:

- Bring some structure into the wild potpourri of famous Yuzu quotes, so that fans can find them easily with the exact source and proper translations.

- Introduce Yuzu to the world, not only as a successful athlete but also as an eloquent speaker with impactful and iconic words.

What needs to be discussed:

1. structure and sorting of the quotes   (chronologically or sorted by topic, type of source, etc.)

2. relevance of a quote   (should it be included or not?)

3. translation(s) of Japanese quotes

4. reliability of a source

These are the manuals and guidelines on Wikiquote:

Manual of style   Layout guidelines   Quotability   Limits on quotations   Sourcing

Threads with quotes from and about Yuzu here on the Planet:

If you share a quote, it would be great, if you provided these information:

1. Exact wording in the original language

2. English translation, if the original language is not English

(preferably from an official source)

3. Exact source with publication date

Request board

More quotes from Aoi Hono I & II

Quote BookOriginal Japanese wording, English translations and original sources

Quotes from Yuzu:

• from his novice/junior years (about his career/life goals)
  • 'Versatility is my selling point' (from FaOI 2019 Kobe)
  • about the impact of the music and concept of a program

Quotes about Yuzu:

• from Tarasova and other coaches, skaters and choreographers (---> interesting comments thread)
  • from athletes of other sports (Uchimura, Ohtani, Osaka, etc.)
  • Carol Lane:
    • There are good skaters, there are great skaters and then there is Yuzuru Hanyu.
    • A masterclass in how to be a champion
On 9/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, SitTwizzle said:

Your idea is definitely worth a thread!

I can't do any research now, but I wonder if there couldn't be a paragraph about how inspirational Yuzuru Hanyu's quotes are?

Well, according to the guidelines of Wikiquote, the only parts of the article that should be explanatory, are the introduction text and optional subsection headers (which should be as short and objective as possible). The entire rest of the article should consist of a list of quotes only. I would really like to write a paragraph about the depth and impact of Yuzu's quotes, but I fear, it wouldn't fit Wikiquote's requirements...

I took this weekend to expand the draft by a number of new quotes. Since my Japanese skills are... well, you know... the section with Yuzu's quotes is not very long yet. Thankfully, there are many quotes ABOUT him from commentators, skaters and coaches in English (or other languages with Latin alphabet) that I could include easily.

Two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know, on which date this interview with Brian was aired on ABC, exactly?  https://www.instagram.com/p/Be7AmuABSDY/?hl=de

2. Can someone help out with the original Chinese wording of this quote from Chen Ying on CCTV?

" He reminds me of an old saying: Fate wispers to the warrior: 'You cannot stand against the storm.' The warrior replies, in a low voice: 'I am the storm.' "

Here is a video source of this commentary: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av40993266?p=28

"Yuzu is an interesting kid" :laughing: is that Roman?

also, what timestamp is that chinese quote from? (btw it's spelled 'warrior' right)

the intro text sounds good; i think a more recent picture would be nice ^_^

phantom kabocha has a lot of free-to-use pictures of yuzu! http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/index.html

this one is so nice but idk if it's professional enough :embSwan:

btw, I've added a section for "Official Links" of Yuzuru Hanyu...not all of them are "official" i.e.  the Wikipedia page isn't "officially" tied to Yuzuru but it's still his page. I'll add your Wikiquotes page if you publish it. I couldn't find it while searching yet.

:helpsign:

@sweetwater do you have links to other official Yuzuru Hanyu pages, such as his JSF profile or any other profile? I haven't been able to find his JSF profile from searching but I'm not searching in Japanese...  thanks:thanks:

19 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

"Yuzu is an interesting kid" :laughing: is that Roman?

also, what timestamp is that chinese quote from? (btw it's spelled 'warrior' right)

the intro text sounds good; i think a more recent picture would be nice ^_^

phantom kabocha has a lot of free-to-use pictures of yuzu! http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/index.html

this one is so nice but idk if it's professional enough :embSwan:

Aye, it's from Roman :laughing: I wasn't sure, if I should include it or not, but I remember many people quoting him on Twitter, so I put that in, too.

Sadly, I don't know the time stamp, because I don't understand a single word of that video xD

Thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake. It's updated in the draft already (shame on you, Henni...)

The thing with pictures on Wikipedia is:

I can only insert pictures that are uploaded in Wiki Commons and I'm not sure about uploading other people's work on that platform.

If that person would volunteer to share his/her photos on Wiki Commons and create a gallery there... THAT would be amazing. Wikipedia would be extremely grateful, too, because the current archive is... not overwhelming.

Footnote: I don't want to upload the draft, until the section with Yuzu's quotes has a decent length. 4-5 quotes are not enough by any means.

Thank you for taking on this project! It's a big task! :D 

I have a formatting suggestion to offer: as it is now, I don't think there's enough visual differentiation between the quote and the source of the quote (same problem with the Yogi Berra entry). It might look better if the quotes were in italics so that you can see right away which are the words being said and which are the source.

(Also, there are typos in the Chinese saying :))

QUOTES TO ADD:

The New York Times articles about him around Pyeongchang have some great quotes. It's a legit source so the translations are professional. 

From https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/sports/olympics/figure-skating-yuzuru-hanyu.html 

Yuzuru Hanyu (presumably translated): “I like to win with some drama.”

"Hanyu was every bit himself in both the Olympic short and long program — unhurried, resolute, staking a claim to be the greatest skater ever with his speed, artistry, coverage of the ice and technical skill." [writer]

Dick Button: “I think he’s beautiful; he moves like a dream.”

Julian Yee: "[He] looks like he wakes up from bed and goes and jumps."

Kurt Browning: “If you want him to be [considered the greatest figure skater ever] you wouldn’t be wrong. [...] Why not. He’s everything. He’s the skater, he’s the jumper, but quintessentially, he’s the performer. He seems to have the superpower to take all the pressure, all the expectations and all the lights and all the cameras, and somehow he’s able to use it as a competitor.”

From https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/sports/olympics/yuzuru-hanyu.html 

Stephane Lambiel: “He’s the most complete athlete in figure skating, probably ever.”

"Hanyu can appear delicate, a boyish Christopher Robin with his Pooh. He also blurs rigid gender lines with his performances, possessing a grace and elegance that fans and journalists say are prized in Japan over a hypermasculine style of skating." [writer]

Midori Ito, through translator: “He’s got this aura, this special presence that only he has [...] He’s so fierce on the ice, but in the kiss and cry he’s got his Pooh [...] That gap is what makes him attractive." 

"His routines bear the appealing, tense contrast between art and athleticism at the heart of figure skating. Sometimes, this puts Hanyu in conflict with himself. He is an unsurpassed virtuoso, but he is also an athlete who wants to jump as proficiently as any other skater, even if that elevates the risk of injury — perhaps unnecessarily." [writer]

Yuzuru Hanyu (presumably translated): “I am an athlete, and as an athlete it’s normal to keep challenging to do more and more.”

Jackie Wong: “It reminds me of when Michael Jackson was in his heyday, or meeting the Pope [...] People see Hanyu for the first time and they become hysterical or they’re moved to tears. It’s like their lives are complete. It’s crazy."

OTHER QUOTES:

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/mao-asada-yuzuru-hanyu-is-the-greatest/index_no_cocktail

Evgeni Plushenko (was speaking English): "For me, he is number one, because he's [a] great skater from [a] different planet."

Mao Asada (translated in video): "He really is an amazing athlete. Even in adverse circumstances he continues to produce results that are far beyond everyone's expectations." 

https://fs-gossips.com/tatiana-tarasova-answers-whom-she-would-like-to-see-as-the-winner-of-isu-skating-awards/

Tatiana Tarasova (translated in article - not sure who translates things on that site): "He is not just a skater, he is a phenomenon. In the history of figure skating, there were outstanding skaters, but Hanyu is different. He is a celestial. His short program alone [Chopin’s Ballade No. 1] is a program at the end of which you should not get up, but kneel down and thank God that we are lucky to see this. This is not just one hundred percent hitting the music, not only the most complex elements that hit every note, but some kind of absolutely amazing fusion of human soul and music. I saw this only twice in my life and not on the ice, but in ballet: when Maya Plisetskaya danced The Dying Swan, and Mstislav Rostropovich accompanied her, and in the ballet studio in New York, where Diana Vishneva danced and Valery Gergiev conducted. Yuzuru Hanyu’s skating is a phenomenon of the same order."

Quotes I don't think are relevant:

"Yuzu is an interesting kid." (Funny, but probably not worth being on the page :D )

"You're seventeen, what're you gonna do?" (doesn't say enough out of context, it's just a casual aside)

8 hours ago, Henni147 said:

2. Can someone help out with the original Chinese wording of this quote from Chen Ying on CCTV?

" He reminds me of an old saying: Fate wispers to the warrior: 'You cannot stand against the storm.' The warrior replies, in a low voice: 'I am the storm.' "

Here is a video source of this commentary: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av40993266?p=28

I think I might be able to help! Sorry, give me a second, and I'll try to get it back to you. as a warning though, my Chinese isn't the best, but hopefully I can help. I'll try my best! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

38 minutes ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

I think I might be able to help! Sorry, give me a second, and I'll try to get it back to you. as a warning though, my Chinese isn't the best, but hopefully I can help. I'll try my best! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

Okay, so what I got is :

"He reminds me / makes me think of a saying, Fate / destiny whispered to the warrior, 'You are unable to withstand / resist the storm.' The warrior replied in a low voice, 'I am the storm.' "

他讓我想起一句話:命運對勇士低語,你無法抵御*風暴 勇士低聲回答, 我就是風暴』」

I'm confident that I got the meaning of it right, but it might be helpful if someone else can double check? And I guessed the characters, so I'm likely to have made a mistake somewhere. This is also a very literal translation of her comment. If you said " ' You cannot stand against the storm,' " that actually would work too, since the meaning almost is the same. And honestly, I'm not reliable at all when it comes to past/present or any tense in English or Chinese, so I could have made a mistake there as well.

*抵御 (diyu) basically means "resist," but unfortunately I'm not 100% sure that's what she said. I hope this helps! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

P. S. I think Yuzu once say something like, "If you can't do it, practice until you can. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice till you can do it perfectly every time." If he did say this, can we add it? I'm quite sure he said this at one point, i just can't remember where and when :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg::thanks: I'm so grateful to you for staring this project! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

17 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know, on which date this interview with Brian was aired on ABC, exactly?  https://www.instagram.com/p/Be7AmuABSDY/?hl=de

Thank you, Henni, for creating this thread!
A quick answer to your question:
"Never underestimate Mr. Hanyu. That's for sure." is Brian's comment given in the mixed-zone interview given on February 6, 2018, and aired by some Japanese TV stations in their news shows, etc. The footage on Instagram is an excerpt from TV Asahi's "Hodo Station" aired on the night of the same day, February 6, 2018.

By the way, Number 846, the source of "羽生結弦以上でも、以下でもない" was released on January 30, 2014, so in case that quote goes into the real Wikiquote, please correct the release date.

15 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

:helpsign:

@sweetwater do you have links to other official Yuzuru Hanyu pages, such as his JSF profile or any other profile? I haven't been able to find his JSF profile from searching but I'm not searching in Japanese...  thanks:thanks:

Here is the JSF profile page (though not sure if the URL will stay the same every year)
https://skatingjapan.or.jp/figure/player/detail.php?id=N0qvoSfQGYA%3D

Thank you for creating another nice thread!:thanks:

14 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

There is also his 2016 "Effort will lie, but it will not be in vain".

This interview was given during TCC Media Day in September 2016 and aired on October 2, 2016, by Fuji TV in "Mr. Sunday Hero's Gattai Special." (A news program titled "Mr. Sunday" merged with a sports news show "Hero's" on that day)
Original Japanese is "努力はウソをつく。でも無駄にはならない。"

6 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

P. S. I think Yuzu once say something like, "If you can't do it, practice until you can. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice till you can do it perfectly every time." If he did say this, can we add it? I'm quite sure he said this at one point, i just can't remember where and when :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg::thanks: I'm so grateful to you for staring this project! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

It is the line from Amino Vital CM. It sounds pretty much like him, but it is not clear whether it is what he said or what the copywriter wrote for him.

First of all: Thank you SO much for your help and suggestions, everyone!! :thanks:

18 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I have a formatting suggestion to offer: as it is now, I don't think there's enough visual differentiation between the quote and the source of the quote (same problem with the Yogi Berra entry). It might look better if the quotes were in italics so that you can see right away which are the words being said and which are the source.

Quotes I don't think are relevant:

"Yuzu is an interesting kid." (Funny, but probably not worth being on the page :D )

"You're seventeen, what're you gonna do?" (doesn't say enough out of context, it's just a casual aside)

I totally agree with you that the single quotes get visually lost in the mass of text. Personally, I would prefer, if the font size of the source was smaller than the quote. However, the current layout guidelines say that italic font is reserved for the original wording of non-English quotes:

"Quotes should be formatted as a bulleted list, each quote on its own bullet, with no quotation marks. Citations and any notes, such as translation or context, should follow in a sub-bullet. If a quote is not in English, it should be italicized. In that case, especially for non-Latin scripts, a transliteration is often useful."

And yes, I agree that those two quotes you mentioned only work in the context and do not really fit the page. I will remove them :agree:

PS: Thank you very much for your long list of quotes!!

13 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Okay, so what I got is :

"He reminds me / makes me think of a saying, Fate / destiny whispered to the warrior, 'You are unable to withstand / resist the storm.' The warrior replied in a low voice, 'I am the storm.' "

I'm confident that I got the meaning of it right, but it might be helpful if someone else can double check? And I guessed the characters, so I'm likely to have made a mistake somewhere. This is also a very literal translation of her comment. If you said " ' You cannot stand against the storm,' " that actually would work too, since the meaning almost is the same. And honestly, I'm not reliable at all when it comes to past/present or any tense in English or Chinese, so I could have made a mistake there as well.

*抵御 (diyu) basically means "resist," but unfortunately I'm not 100% sure that's what she said. I hope this helps! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

Thank's for searching the Chinese wording and offering a better translation. I found different translations of this quote in the "interesting comments" thread as well. Maybe they can help to find the best solution.

6 hours ago, sweetwater said:

A quick answer to your question:
"Never underestimate Mr. Hanyu. That's for sure." is Brian's comment given in the mixed-zone interview given on February 6, 2018, and aired by some Japanese TV stations in their news shows, etc. The footage on Instagram is an excerpt from TV Asahi's "Hodo Station" aired on the night of the same day, February 6, 2018.

By the way, Number 846, the source of "羽生結弦以上でも、以下でもない" was released on January 30, 2014, so in case that quote goes into the real Wikiquote, please correct the release date.

This interview was given during TCC Media Day in September 2016 and aired on October 2, 2016, by Fuji TV in "Mr. Sunday Hero's Gattai Special." (A news program titled "Mr. Sunday" merged with a sports news show "Hero's" on that day)
Original Japanese is "努力はウソをつく。でも無駄にはならない。"

It is the line from Amino Vital CM. It sounds pretty much like him, but it is not clear whether it is what he said or what the copywriter wrote for him.

Thank you very much for the exact publication dates! I will add/change them in the list.

The quote from Amino Vital would be a good one for the category attributed or disputed, what do you think?

@SitTwizzle  @Veveco  In a way "Vamos, Javi!" is part of the quote from the farewell speech already, just in reversed order: "Ganbatte, Javi! Vamos!"

It might be a bit repetative to put that in twice, what do you think? It's an iconic shout out nevertheless.

I will probably be a reader of the wikiquote once the page is updated so I don't have much to contribute. 

However, just a suggested change in the introduction as shown in red below:

Yuzuru Hanyu (羽生 結弦, Hanyū Yuzuru, born December 7, 1994) is a Japanese figure skater and the first in 66 years since 1952 to win back-to-back Olympic gold in the men's singles discipline.

Regarding the Chinese quote from CCTV, the text by @Hope_and_Legacy is in traditional Chinese characters.

In simplified Chinese characters, it will be: 他让我想起一句话。 命运对勇士低语: "你无法抵御风暴。"  勇士低声回应: "我就是风暴。"

Traditional Chinese is use mainly in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Simplified Chinese is use mainly in China (Singapore uses simplified Chinese as well. I think Malaysia too. Not sure about the Chinese community in other countries.)

I'm not sure what is the rule for Wikiquote for Chinese characters but if there isn't, maybe we should follow the origin of Chen Yin? 

As for the English translation, both what you and Hope_and_Legacy stated above are fine. 抵御 = resist, withstand, fight with. The translation in 'the interesting comment thread used "defeat" which really isn't a literal translation but the underlying meaning is probably that - you fight with the storm to defeat it. I actually think the original translation in the 3rd post is good enough.