2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

wish you guys have a fast recovery.. it's heartbreaking....:59227c768286a__s: 

Btw, I logged into Twitter after quite some time just now. Oh my god, the arguments about Worlds....... it's overwhelming.

And also the deada*s Grand Prix Series. What the heck????

I don't think ISU will handle this situation well. 

Spoiler

Fk you covid and also I*U. I'm sorry

@Fay, so glad to hear you're recovering! Hope your friend will recover soon also.

@barbara, congrats on getting your shot! But having to wait outside in freezing weather for 1 1/2 hours! That's why I haven't scheduled an appt for my mom yet because she won't last in line for an hour. I'm looking at the drive-thru sites, but they are all booked up, so I will keep checking.

@rockstaryuzu, hope you can get your vaccine soon. :fingerscrossed:

@liv, sorry to hear there is an outbreak in your nursing home. Hopefully it will be contained soon and the full PPE will protect you until you can get vaccinated again. How frustrating that they prioritized the vaccines for management first. Ugh!

21 minutes ago, IceWings said:

@Fay, so glad to hear you're recovering! Hope your friend will recover soon also.

@barbara, congrats on getting your shot! But having to wait outside in freezing weather for 1 1/2 hours! That's why I haven't scheduled an appt for my mom yet because she won't last in line for an hour. I'm looking at the drive-thru sites, but they are all booked up, so I will keep checking.

@rockstaryuzu, hope you can get your vaccine soon. :fingerscrossed:

@liv, sorry to hear there is an outbreak in your nursing home. Hopefully it will be contained soon and the full PPE will protect you until you can get vaccinated again. How frustrating that they prioritized the vaccines for management first. Ugh!

FYI - people with actual appointments did not have to wait outside.  It was only the unappointmented (a word?) who had to wait.  Those with appointments were ushered directly inside.  Maybe a five minute wait.  I did call the country health department and spoke to an actual human being just to see if I was okay to try my plan.  That said, maybe you could call yours to express your concern about your mother having to wait outside.  They may be able to assure you that she wouldn't have to.   Or would, in which case you can wait for a drive-through, but I'd try to get her in where ever as soon as you can.   I certainly didn't see anyone old (not counting me) having to wait.

Because Canada didn’t get any Pfizer vaccine shipment this week, my second dose got delayed.  Now it’s rescheduled to 35 days after the first dose (provided that vaccine is available at that time).  So frustrating.  Hopefully it will still be effective enough.

Some of my coworkers who got their first dose a few days before I did were able to get their second dose on schedule (21 days).  Almost all of them reported feeling pretty rough with an onset of about 20-24 hours later (dizziness, headache, difficulty focusing, one person got low grade fever too) and it lasted about between 1 to 3,4 days.  A few of them didn’t feel well enough to go to work.  Just so everyone is aware when you get the second dose!  Of course everyone reacts differently though.  

My nursing home update: So far so good. The cases are mild or asymptomatic..perhaps having had the first shot helped? My facility is unusual in that they have an out of the way wing which was unused, each room with a complete bathroom including shower, allowing it to be repurposed for Covid patients should there be a need. It's almost total isolation from the rest of the facility. But, small outbreaks can become out of control in just a few days, so we're all being hyper vigilant right now. It's a bit stressful, trying to prevent illness, knowing it's in the building and your clientele is the most vulnerable that there is... knowing that you are the reason that these people will get sick if you make a mistake... it's why i"ve been eating a little bit more chocolate these days!!!!! I didn't gain the Covid pounds earlier in the pandemic, but I"m catching up to other people now!

And regarding management getting the vaccine first... yes, they did, but I can't say that they were actually prioritized...it was more that they were given the opportunity to sign up for the clinic first. Each nursing home was informed of the days when their staff would be allowed to get their shots at the hospital, but by the time the email telling us to sign up was sent, the first day was already entirely booked by the front office staff. I feel wrong saying that they were prioritized, but they did get advanced notice. 

46 minutes ago, liv said:

My nursing home update: So far so good. The cases are mild or asymptomatic..perhaps having had the first shot helped? My facility is unusual in that they have an out of the way wing which was unused, each room with a complete bathroom including shower, allowing it to be repurposed for Covid patients should there be a need. It's almost total isolation from the rest of the facility. But, small outbreaks can become out of control in just a few days, so we're all being hyper vigilant right now. It's a bit stressful, trying to prevent illness, knowing it's in the building and your clientele is the most vulnerable that there is... knowing that you are the reason that these people will get sick if you make a mistake... it's why i"ve been eating a little bit more chocolate these days!!!!! I didn't gain the Covid pounds earlier in the pandemic, but I"m catching up to other people now!

And regarding management getting the vaccine first... yes, they did, but I can't say that they were actually prioritized...it was more that they were given the opportunity to sign up for the clinic first. Each nursing home was informed of the days when their staff would be allowed to get their shots at the hospital, but by the time the email telling us to sign up was sent, the first day was already entirely booked by the front office staff. I feel wrong saying that they were prioritized, but they did get advanced notice. 

The first shot is very effective, which is why there has been consideration of putting out ALL the available doses and have as many people get one dose rather than hold back the second dose for people.  But what a scary situation.  It does demand chocolate, so you are right to indulge.  Stay safe.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, river said:

Utterly bizarre that management is getting their vaccines while they’ve been put on hold for frontline staff, but also completely unsurprising. How infuriating. :anger:

This is infuriating and wholly inappropriate!  I agree this is not surprising - sadly - given the level of corruption and complete absence of any ethical principles being displayed by those in leadership roles.  I saw plenty of this in the USA and had hoped (naively) it would be somewhat better in Canada, but evidently not. 

It's the same in Japan - the political leaders continue to wine and dine (or sake/whiskey and dine) after the declared emergency closing hours - and everyday we find yet another parliamentarian or cabinet minister caught at a cabaret or geisha places late at night.  Tokyo is now requiring all restaurants and bars to close by 8 PM - voluntarily since the municipality doesn't have the power to enforce closures of private businesses.  So in principle it's not illegal to be drinking after 8 PM, but to do so flagrantly throws mud in the face of all the citizens who are trying to do their best to reduce the spread of infection, including restauranteurs and bar owners who are facing an existential crisis by closing at 8 PM - and many are going bankrupt and throwing vulnerable workers out on the streets. 

The Japanese national government is not providing any additional support for these businesses. Finance Minister Aso is a fiscal  conservative and loves to tout his austerity credentials.  Meanwhile, the high-end restaurants in Ginza - like the 3 Michelin star sushi bars and steakhouse frequented by those politicians - are doing brisk business and thriving, thank you very much!   Everywhere around the globe we have deeply entrenched entitlement class who don't give a fudge about the rest of the world.  Davos WEF discussions about equity and social justice are just another hypocritical game designed to lull the citizens into quiescence while COVAX fails to deliver.  Oh, the shame of it all, shame, shame, shame! 

On 30/01/2021 at 6:44 PM, liv said:

but by the time the email telling us to sign up was sent, the first day was already entirely booked by the front office staff. I feel wrong saying that they were prioritized, but they did get advanced notice. 

Honestly,  it sounds like the same thing to me. They took for themselves what should have been offered to others first. And I don't  understand what rationale they have for postponing your second doses because of an outbreak.  Anyway, good luck and stay strong! What a stressful situation to go through. 

@holina still waiting for our first doses here in Ottawa...although some of our folks who did get their first doses at the beginning of January are also being told to wait because of the Pfizer hold up. 

and now apparently Moderna is only going to ship 1/4 of the doses Canada was supposed to get from them this week. Looks like we're SOL for the time being. :(

@IceWings Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately it looks like Canada will have to wait for a while with both Pfizer and Moderna not shipping this week. 

• 3 weeks later...

Who else is feeling more and more like they'll just crawl into bed and wait there for this all to end? I'm so done. My pandemic patience is at an end and I'm beginning to develop a mild aversion to leaving the house at all. Still no word on when we'll get vaccinated. 

30 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Who else is feeling more and more like they'll just crawl into bed and wait there for this all to end? I'm so done. My pandemic patience is at an end and I'm beginning to develop a mild aversion to leaving the house at all. Still no word on when we'll get vaccinated. 

Okay, I totally understand.  But - seriously - there is an end to this tunnel.  The uncertainty of when is what really causes mental stress.  In addition to not knowing when we'll see FS live again, I think I miss, most, is having someone over to watch a movie.  I'd really like to ask one of my friends to come other and watch one of the new movies that you have to pay for to watch (like through Amazon) since there are so few actual movie theaters open. New releases.  And I won't go to a theater even if I could find one open near me.

Even more than the aversion to leaving the house (which I really have to do with the dogs) is the aversion to having another human being inside my house.  My son has been here a couple of times, from LA, since the apocalypse began and even that was weird.  

I read an article yesterday listing ten signs of depression and how we don't recognize some of them as depression (and everyone is a little depressed because we are grieving the loss of life as we knew it, and want it)  I'm depressed anyway, but one of the noted signs is anger.  Until the pandemic, I rarely was angry and now I am angry about something or somebody or something every day.  I hate it, even if there are some people who would rile me even if there was no pandemic (trump comes to mind). Anger eats you up inside and/or comes out sideways.  I hate yelling at the dogs when what I'm really upset about is that my life is too small. 

It's okay to admit you're exhausted.  And angry.  And sad.  "Feel what you need to feel and then let it go.  Do not let it consume you." Repeat daily as necessary.

Tbh I never knew my true emotions all the way until this pandemic period. Kinda knew myself better (Maybe cause I'm stuck in my room 24/7 hahaha)

Currently i'm having heavy mood swings. Its so devastating. I feel so mentally worn out by jobs and sch work. Felt like stopping but I can't.

However hard times will go away. We will see the light soon. 

hope you guys feel better soon.:10742289: love yall

1 hour ago, YuzuNekozuu said:

Tbh I never knew my true emotions all the way until this pandemic period. Kinda knew myself better (Maybe cause I'm stuck in my room 24/7 hahaha)

Currently i'm facing heavy mood swings. Its so devastating. I feel so mentally worn out by jobs and sch work. Felt like stopping but I can't.

However hard times will go away. We will see the light soon. 

hope you guys feel better soon.:10742289: love yall

Doesn't out favorite skater and philosopher say that "it is because of the darkness that we can see light"?  You're right, though.  This is hard. But it is not forever.