2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

On 3/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

@liv I'm glad to hear that you all got your second dose. I hope your nursing home will be out of lockdown soon, isolation is very difficult on older people so I'm all your residents are feeling it. 

Especially in light of hearing what @Neenah and others are going through, I don't want to complain further, but I  have now discovered that politics internal to my organization are contributing heavily to delay in getting my department vaccinated,  and that is a very tough pill to swallow indeed...:(

Life takes some funny twists sometimes.  Yesterday I did not know when I would get vaccinated.  And now I've gotten my first dose of Pfizer.  WTH. 

So far I've only had mild soreness at the injection site. Also, my second dose isn't going to be until April. Looks like the province is leaning in to that 40 day spacing. It's fine. Things can change ( apparently overnight).  I'm not worried.  

I'm relieved.  

I will be getting AstraZeneca vaccine Mar 19th, as Alberta has 58000 doses and is offering it to everyone born 1957-1961.  I signed up, and will drive 4 hours roundtrip to receive it.

No mention from my workplace as to when I would receive vaccination even though we work with vulnerable patient populations.  Recently, had a Covid 19 positive patient and no N95 in my size in stock:angry_party:!!  So frustrating.  Fortunately, the Covid 19 positive patient was relatively well and did not require physical examination.

Canada is not doing very well with the rollout of the vaccination program, especially, when we look over at Israel, and the USA

29 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

I will be getting AstraZeneca vaccine Mar 19th, as Alberta has 58000 doses and is offering it to everyone born 1957-1961.  I signed up, and will drive 4 hours roundtrip to receive it.

No mention from my workplace as to when I would receive vaccination even though we work with vulnerable patient populations.  Recently, had a Covid 19 positive patient and no N95 in my size in stock:angry_party:!!  So frustrating.  Fortunately, the Covid 19 positive patient was relatively well and did not require physical examination.

Canada is not doing very well with the rollout of the vaccination program, especially, when we look over at Israel, and the USA

There are, seriously, millions of doses of the A-Z vaccine in storage. The US should release these to Canada or other countries in need.  We will never use them here - not because they won't be approved, but because we already have 200 million or more extra doses (EXTRA i'e': beyond need) of the three others already on order. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/politics/coronavirus-astrazeneca-united-states.html

On 3/14/2021 at 12:44 AM, Dreamer said:

You can say that again. It's practically  a cluster***k. 

I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting something, though.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You can say that again. It's practically  a cluster***k. 

I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting something, though.

Today, I got lucky and was able to change my appointment to one 15 min drive away.  someone obviously canceled, as it was one apt only:cheer:  It is the AstraZeneca vaccine, so maybe someone saw the news about the blood clot concern and canceled.  Incidentally, I used to work in a subspecialty clinic: a cancer associated thrombosis clinic.

57 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Today, I got lucky and was able to change my appointment to one 15 min drive away.  someone obviously canceled, as it was one apt only:cheer:  It is the AstraZeneca vaccine, so maybe someone saw the news about the blood clot concern and canceled.  Incidentally, I used to work in a subspecialty clinic: a cancer associated thrombosis clinic.

Ah, much better! This will make it far easier to return for your second.  Well done!

I got mine yesterday. And I feel a wee bit miserable right now. Almost passed out after getting out of the shower this morning (and no, it wasn’t because of the heat. I always shower with the window slightly open for ventilation, it’s a pet peeve of mine :giggle:).

And I think the pain you feel after working out for 3 hours when you are not conditioned at all is still better than how my arm feels right now :dontdothistome:

Reminds me of how I felt after getting my tetanus shot.

My arm was sore the whole weekend after getting my first shot last Friday. Fatigued more than usual today. Luckily back to normal today.

I’m glad my country prioritises educators of which I’m one. We’re rightly considered a front liner as well.

I got my AstraZeneca shot yesterday, arm is a little sore.  I feel tired and achy.  They asked me to stay for 30 min after although 15 min monitoring after is their standard.  I was pleasantly surprised how organized it was.  I will get the 2nd shot in 16 weeks.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, river said:

I just found out an acquaintance of mine has a very mild case of COVID two months after vaccination. Obviously no vaccination is ever 100%, but it's unnerving all the same.

Had she been tested prior to her vaccination?  Could it be a case of "long haul" Covid?  In any case, fully vaccinated doesn't mean we can abandon safety precautions (masks, etc.) until that elusive herd immunity can be reached.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, river said:

I just found out an acquaintance of mine has a very mild case of COVID two months after vaccination. Obviously no vaccination is ever 100%, but it's unnerving all the same.

:smiley-scared005:

They have been saying all along that they're not 100% certain how the immunity from the vaccine will work other than that it will blunt symptoms so that if you do get it, it'll be a mild case. They still don't know how long the immunity lasts or whether it's total. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, barbara said:

Had she been tested prior to her vaccination?  Could it be a case of "long haul" Covid?  In any case, fully vaccinated doesn't mean we can abandon safety precautions (masks, etc.) until that elusive herd immunity can be reached.

And even then, with all the new variants, who knows if your vaccinations are effective against each new variant.  I am thinking masks will be the new normal.

The vaccine is here  :smiley-happy093:

Only a small limited number of doses, but it is a start. 

We didn't know it was happening and weren't expecting it at all. They suddenly announced yesterday that there are vaccines available to the public. Half my family is trying to get it today and the rest will go tomorrow.

Wish us luck  :smiley-angelic001:

Good luck @Neenah!

meanwhile Canada's vaccine supply remains fluctuant -  I just got a notification that my appointment for the second dose of the vaccine has been rescheduled from April 9 to June 25 - the full 16 weeks. This makes me very unhappy since I think it makes more sense to have all the healthcare workers fully vaccinated ASAP but it's not in my control.  

oh well, more of the same I guess.