2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

50 minutes ago, barbara said:

So, to update satellites outside of the states, we are at nearly 9 million cases so far and about 227,000 dead.  We are not bending any kind of curve and our government has not now nor has had any plans to mitigate the spread of the virus.  We are a disaster zone and it's really, really embarrassing. 

I"m sorry for what is happening in the States. I feel for you, @barbara.  I watch the US news a lot and the situation just boggles my mind.

Here in Canada we just hit 10, 000 deaths and to us that is a big number (most in nursing homes, our national tragedy)... but to see the 227 000, with no end in sight as we head into the cold weather, is just heartbreaking... unless you are in the White House, it would seem. So many countries are trying to do what they can to minimize the damage from this, and some of those ways seem right or wrong or too much or too little, but at least they are trying... it's the * they didn't even try * that hurts.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, river said:

I’m so tired of seeing people ignoring CDC recommendations to decrease community spread, having our case numbers spike to the worst we’ve seen since the first wave, and somehow having my (very socially-distant) hobby be the only thing that’s been locked down again so far.

That's just miserable. I'm so sorry you can't skate right now...I'd wager a guess that your state government has decided to only to do public health measures where there won't be much outcry, so that they can say they're doing something, while not taking any of the harder steps that would make an actual difference.

Our poor Prime Minister is showing the strain...he gave a news conference this week and said quote "This pandemic sucks" on prime time news...at least he calls it like it is.

It physically hurts me that 10,000 of my fellow citizens who were alive back in February, and would probably still be alive today, are not, thanks to this virus. When you realize that 80% of those deaths were in long term care homes, it hurts even more. It's not just numbers to me...and I cannot fathom how anyone in any position of power or responsibility could feel any differently. The fact that the American President considers a loss that is 22 times higher and rising perfectly acceptable is mind-boggling.

I do worry that with new waves and re-implementation of new lockdowns, people will get fatigue and finally just go "sod it, I don't care anymore" and no longer bother with any lockdown measurement. It's a bit useless to see my country reporting daily single digits everyday with majority being import cases when other countries are seeing new waves. Our economy does depend on businesses with other countries so we need other countries to emerge from the pandemic so that badly hurt business sectors like the travel industry can revive. We have to open up our border, and we are doing it slowly now. There will be a risk of new wave coming but I hope it'll be manageable. 

I really wish everybody cooperates with whatever measures implemented by their Government to bring the infection cases low. As for the country whose Government doesn't even bother to implement anything... I... really don't know what to say... except 'Why?'  :facepalm:

2 часа назад, yumeaki сказал:

I really wish everybody cooperates with whatever measures implemented by their Government to bring the infection cases low. As for the country whose Government doesn't even bother to implement anything... I... really don't know what to say... except 'Why?'  :facepalm:

Here at least they try to check masks more strict lately, schools are mostly on holiday or on remote studying, but there're so strict measures and I don't think they would be. Numbers (how true they are is other question) are higher than in spring, but not as bad is in Europe right now (though I wonder if will catch soon).

As to question why - the answer is simple - economics. It never was good one here, still depended on oil prices, which dropped a lot at the beginning of the year, currency exchange dropped too and still does, product prices are rising in shops little by little (and salary is not). We barely survived 1,5 month lockdown in spring, I think people will not agree for second lockdown if they will loose more jobs and government must understand that. 

Really, now it seems that 1 month or so with very strict lockdown like in China would be easer than that thing going on forever now, though we for sure don't have such mentality in following government rules.

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

Here at least they try to check masks more strict lately, schools are mostly on holiday or on remote studying, but there're so strict measures and I don't think they would be. Numbers (how true they are is other question) are higher than in spring, but not as bad is in Europe right now (though I wonder if will catch soon).

As to question why - the answer is simple - economics. It never was good one here, still depended on oil prices, which dropped a lot at the beginning of the year, currency exchange dropped too and still does, product prices are rising in shops little by little (and salary is not). We barely survived 1,5 month lockdown in spring, I think people will not agree for second lockdown if they will loose more jobs and government must understand that. 

Really, now it seems that 1 month or so with very strict lockdown like in China would be easer than that thing going on forever now, though we for sure don't have such mentality in following government rules.

Yes. I can see how economics play a part in the decision. That's also why we are trying to open our border now to allow more people (tourists) from low risk countries in (even as I see some netizen complaining about this). Here, I think the Government is not trying to eliminate infection cases but to manage it, ie open the economy and allow a certain number of cases without overwhelming the healthcare system. It's hard to balance though so I feel for the Government. But for countries that are not even managing the cases, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed and more people will die. Agree that a strict lock down like China would be better but not everyone can accept that. But better a quick torturous pain than a long drawn-out pain though I think it may be too late now. Those with jobs affected by the pandemic are not coping well. I'm just glad my company is still functioning and remote working is possible.

This is the period when my facebook will start reminding me of past years memories... when GP and Challenges happened. And I just SIGH. 

7 hours ago, yumeaki said:

I do worry that with new waves and re-implementation of new lockdowns, people will get fatigue and finally just go "sod it, I don't care anymore" and no longer bother with any lockdown measurement. It's a bit useless to see my country reporting daily single digits everyday with majority being import cases when other countries are seeing new waves. Our economy does depend on businesses with other countries so we need other countries to emerge from the pandemic so that badly hurt business sectors like the travel industry can revive. We have to open up our border, and we are doing it slowly now. There will be a risk of new wave coming but I hope it'll be manageable. 

Politics.  All politics.  And hubris and stupidity.  The president thought he could ignore the science and reality because he is too incompetent to effectively fight it.  Actually, he has no belief in science - probably because it contradicts what he wants to think and because he was likely unable to follow it when he was in school.  Fingers crossed that a new president is elected next week and that, come January, we will have a national plan. (Also hoping for all those vaccines being developed...)  We have endured nearly four years of pure insanity here.

I'm not sure where to put this, so here goes...  ANA announced 30% salary reductions, among other measures, to address financial losses due to the pandemic.  Now I'm wondering about the extra things they do, like, you know, sponsorships.  They wouldn't cut him loose, right?  RIGHT???  

1 hour ago, guiltypleasure said:

I'm not sure where to put this, so here goes...  ANA announced 30% salary reductions, among other measures, to address financial losses due to the pandemic.  Now I'm wondering about the extra things they do, like, you know, sponsorships.  They wouldn't cut him loose, right?  RIGHT???  

They could, or maybe freeze the contract for a while... but I don't think it will put major dent in his bank account. He seems to have administered himself fairly well and will be living a comfortable life after retiring :D

3 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

In the grand scheme of things for a big airline, what ANA spends on Yuzu is minimal in a normal season, and the cost of keeping him is still far outweighed by the benefit of having him, even during hard times. Especially because they're spending much less on him this year than they were before, since he hasn't been travelling or entering competitions and his training costs are surely drastically reduced.

They also dumped their other biggest sponsored athlete Daiya Seto due to his indiscretions, so they don't have to foot his bills anymore. Another reason why they would be eager to keep Yuzu by all means.....Seto let them down and associated the ANA name with scandal in the news, so they need to hold on to the respected and respectable Yuzu to keep their good image up.

...so remember when I said cafes and restaurants need to close again in Belgium? Well, starting today (02/11) Belgium is officially in lockdown again. Remember when I say it was more widespread in Wallonia and Brussels this time? Well, of course Flanders follows suit — the infection rate hiked up here too (and frustratingly enough the flemish regional government dawdled before they too finally decided to apply strict measurements for tackling this second wave :facepalm:). And to top it all, the former prime minister (now the federal foreign minister) herself was infected with the 'rona (and she was in intensive care for quite a while — now she is recovering at home though).

Perhaps the silver lining of the lockdown this time is that the definition of essential stores was expanded from the previous one (which includes...fabric supply store and yarn store?). Hopefully it makes this lockdown somewhat more bearable for many people (I mean it makes mine somewhat more bearable).

So, we in the states just set a new benchmark today.  No, it's not about the election, though that is still a major anxiety producer.  We have over 100,000 new case of Covid reported just today.  100,000 - and on the day the president has been assuring his rally goers that the virus would just "go away" and the press would stop talking about it.  We are at the mercy of a complete idiot. I feel certain our next president (fingers crossed) already has plans and mechanisms to fight this.  I cannot wait.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, guiltypleasure said:

Probably not. But depending on the nature of their sponsorship deal, he might not be getting anything from them for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi satellites.

The news from the second wave is depressing. Basically I think we'll be forced back into lockdown, kicking and screaming all the way. Not that it will make the slightest bit of difference to all of us essential workers. I will still be at work counting photons for cancer treatments until the zombie apocalypse and even through that. I suppose I should be grateful but I just want to stay home where it's safe.

Anyway, on a less sour and perhaps more hopeful note, I'm sharing this lovely song which reflects on the situation and is absolutely beautiful. If you don't speak Korean, there are English subtitles, so turn captions on.