The Road to Tokyo 2020

sallycinnamon

What I love most about the Olympics is the Olympic spirit: "faster, higher, stronger." It reminds me of the ancient Gods of the Olymp and the Greek heroes who started it all. The most talented athletes of their time, gathering and competing piecefully against each other, raising the bar in different disciplines and exploring what the human body is capable of.

That's why Origin would fit quite well as an opening program actually. If I remember correctly, Shae-Lynne said in an interview last year that the choreography has a mythological inspiration and it reminds her of Gods or something like that. In a way the Olympic Games are the origin of all sports. It's like going back to the roots and revive the Ancient Games every four years.

Thinking of the 4A... faster, higher, stronger... it will need all three to master that new milestone of a figure skating jump. It gives me goosebumps, how much of the Olympic spirit is actually within Yuzu. He truly IS the Olympics, aye?

11 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I think they were both injured- there was talk of back to back test competitions to make sure that the gymnasts chosen could put in back to back consistent performances.

from Japan Times

Kohei Uchimura says he's 'jealous' of athletes with Olympic berths already secured

KYODO

OSAKA – Kohei Uchimura said Saturday he is envious of those athletes who have already earned berths to next summer’s Tokyo Games amid his own recent fitness struggles.

“Olympic spots are allocated in many sports, and I’m very jealous of those athletes,” the two-time reigning men’s all-around Olympic champion said. “That makes me realize again that I really want to compete (at the Olympics).”

A six-time world all-around champion, the 30-year-old missed October’s worlds due to pain in both shoulders. He also failed to qualify for the finals at April’s national championships and only managed fifth in his comeback at August’s All-Japan National Senior Championships.

Also missing three-time floor exercise world champ Kenzo Shirai, Japan finished with a bronze for the second straight year in the men’s team event at the world championships in Germany. Russia took gold and China silver.

“It was frustrating that the competition was all about Russia and China. But most frustrating was not being part of the competition,” Uchimura said.

He led Japan to team gold at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics after taking Olympic silver in 2012 and 2008. Uchimura, known as “King Kohei,” still has a chance to qualify for next summer’s games depending on his performance at domestic competitions.

“I want to book a spot (in the Olympics). It’s really do or die,” he said.

Japan’s team will be decided after the NHK Cup in May, the second event in a two-tournament qualifying process that starts at April’s national championships.

The Japan Gymnastics Association said earlier this month it is considering a new format for the NHK Cup in which athletes perform on each apparatus twice in two days in a bid to select gymnasts who can consistently perform.

“I’m used to performing (each event) once, so I’m worried because I’m not sure how much damage my body will suffer,” Uchimura said. “There’s nothing that can be done about it except to compete according to my own rhythm.”

Oh, thanks so much for that! That really clears things up. :-) How nice to know he still has a chance to qualify!
I cannot imagine the Summer Olympics taking place in Japan but without him, really. Will be rooting for him to do well in Nats and NHK Cup. :clapping-smiley:

3 時間前, Ashley2162018さんが言いました:

Were the torch bearers announced by now? Or are we still in waiting?

We can see some of the names here, a lot of actors, actresses, singers etc. and the athletes including Shoma, Daisuke, Akiko and more from other sports. But the bearers on the day of Opening Ceremony has not been announced yet. 

https://yumeslushlife.com/tokyo2020-seika/

On 1/10/2020 at 10:17 PM, Henni147 said:

What I love most about the Olympics is the Olympic spirit: "faster, higher, stronger." It reminds me of the ancient Gods of the Olymp and the Greek heroes who started it all. The most talented athletes of their time, gathering and competing piecefully against each other, raising the bar in different disciplines and exploring what the human body is capable of.

One experience I would recommend anyone who likes sports/ the Olympics is visiting the Olympic museum in Lausanne. I went there last year, we spent something like 3 hours in, and it was amazing. The emotions conveyed by the Olympic spirit, the history, everything is gathered really nicely.

Thank you for opening this thread~ :dancingpooh:

My sister and I are planning to go to Tokyo and witness the Olympics. We already booked the plane tickets, but not the actual game tickets yet - we are waiting for the individual ticket sales. If there is any miracle , we hope to see the Opening Ceremonies  (I bet it will be amazing!) but it's veeeeeerrrrry expensive :dislike: so we will be watching outside the stadium, I guess. LOL I don't know. But still, we are very excited, we consider watching the Olympics live a bucket list and it's a MAJOR plus that it's in Japan!

It seems that Hashimoto (Olympic Minister and JSF president) is suspected for breaking the Public Office Election Law by granting a former athlete a larger daily allowance (monetary compensation) than the law permits. She denies allegations, not sure what will happen next. I have to say I'm not surprised at all.

hace 24 minutos , glilikoi said:

It seems that Hashimoto (Olympic Minister and JSF president) is suspected for breaking the Public Office Election Law by granting a former athlete a larger daily allowance (monetary compensation) than the law permits. She denies allegations, not sure what will happen next. I have to say I'm not surprised at all.

:emoticonaci2019_2: ...not surprised either tbh. I hope it will be properly investigated...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, sallycinnamon said:

The outfit of the officials at the Olympics has been revealed. There'll be two types of if, formal and casual. It looks very pretty!

Have they announced the clothes the volunteers will be wearing yet? I have two t-shirts of the 2004 Athens Olympics, volunteers version, and they are some of my favorite shirts. :agree2:

• yuzuangel featured and unfeatured this topic