The Road to Tokyo 2020

sallycinnamon

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

These are beautiful. Kimono designed for each country participating in the Games. Designed by top kimono artisans in Japan. Kimono is a dying art in Japan so it is something that kimono artisans try to share with the rest of the world whenever they can :)

What a beautiful project! Quite insightful, for some. I set the speed at 0.25 to have more time to view each kimono, of course without sound then.

I think I have already seen the pattern for the Japanese kimono. Isn't it a recent pattern from Chiso kimono makers?

They chose as a music, Beethoven's Ode to the Joy, which is the European Union and the Council of Europe hymn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, yuzuangel said:

These are beautiful. Kimono designed for each country participating in the Games. Designed by top kimono artisans in Japan. Kimono is a dying art in Japan so it is something that kimono artisans try to share with the rest of the world whenever they can :)

They are so beautiful! I loved watching these videos.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, yuzuangel said:

Stunning Kimonos. ❤️

Oh, wow, those kimono are amazing!

I have to admit, one of the main reasons I was looking forward so much to Tokyo2020 was the medal ceremonies, because I expected to see so many beautiful kimonos. 

I'm so happy to have this chance to see them in these videos now! 

Thanks for sharing!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 4:36 AM, river said:

Oh boy. Apparently Seiko Hashimoto is in line to possibly lead the Tokyo Olympics organizing committee...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/17/tokyo-2020-japan-olympics-minister-seiko-hashimoto-in-line-to-lead-committee

And..she is now... :emoticonaci2019:

Spoiler

I had a thousand wtfs in my head when I saw the news

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 2:59 AM, SitTwizzle said:

This is not new (4 days), but I don't know if there is anything more recent?
Japan is considering holding Olympic Games without foreign spectator. Which I quite understand.

https://www.nippon.com/en/news/reu20210303KBN2AV0RZ/?cx_recs_click=true

According to this article, the government, Tokyo, and the organizing committee have established a policy to forgo holding the games with the audience overseas, but IOC is demanding that they should let the guests related to the sponsors enter Japan and watch the games.

57 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

According to this article, the government, Tokyo, and the organizing committee have established a policy to forgo holding the games with the audience overseas, but IOC is demanding that they should let the guests related to the sponsors enter Japan and watch the games.

Thank you!

Here is an automatic translation by deepl.com of the free part of the article :

The government, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and the Organizing Committee of the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games have decided not to accept general visitors living abroad, according to interviews with several people involved in the Games. On the other hand, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has requested that invited guests related to sponsors be allowed to enter the country and watch the games, and the Japanese side is continuing to study the issue.

The government, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the Organizing Committee, the IOC, and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) will hold consultations with representatives of the five parties, and will make an official announcement before the torch relay begins in Fukushima on March 25.

I understand the criticism of the Olympics, but now is a good time to return to the starting point, Hikaru Ota.
 According to a source close to the Games, about one million tickets have already been secured for the general public for those living overseas. The Yoshihide Suga administration had hoped to use the Tokyo Games as an opportunity to attract foreign visitors to Japan, which has suffered a sharp drop in inbound tourism due to the new coronavirus. However, the government is said to be inclined to abandon the plan due to the fact that new foreign nationals are not allowed to enter Japan at present in principle, and the spread of mutated strains of the virus has caused a great deal of anxiety among the public.

On the other hand, according to a source, the IOC ...

This article is a member article member article. If you become a free member, you can read up to 5 articles per month.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, yude said:

I don't know if the world is still interested in Tokyo Olympics, but one week to go...

I think there are many who'll follow the Olympic Games and cheer for many athletes completing there. 

If there's enough interest in the Planet I can open a separate thread about the Olympics later where we can discuss all the sports plus the opening and closing ceremonies.