General Yuzuru Chat

I think many of us are trying to get a handle on the significance of Prologue and Gift.  True, we know that Yuzu is transforming the possibilities in terms of structure and technology that these exhibitions encompass but for us the question remains what is the significance of these shows for Yuzu.  I think I might have the answer.  Looking back at a competitive career that is basically unmatched by any other male skater these shows are a symbolic 'victory lap'.  He's simultaneously embracing new possibilities as well as putting the past behind him and embracing a future in which ice shows can be serious statement as well as skating spectacle.  I can't wait until he starts bringing others into his shows.  There will have been nothing like those in the past.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:24 AM, nekodearu said:

Sorry, I interpreted your words together with @rockstaryuzu whom you quoted, which I also should have done:

Anyway, I can see some benefits from breaking down sales into multiple stages.

Firstly, it seems better from the promotional point of view: it sustains public interest in your show (every new announcement = something is happening on your site and there's buzz again on social media) and allowes you to reach a wider audience (not everyone potentially interested in attending your show will get the information the moment you announce it or launch the first pre-sale).

Secondly, it allows you to single out some groups you want to privilege for some reason - in this case, e.g., Kosé customers, Asahi TV subscribers etc.

Thirdly, it enables your sponsors to earn money by selling more merchandise, getting more customers, getting fees for handling a certain part of the sale etc.

It is also better for your fans in the way that they have more time to think things through, make travel arrangements if necessary, collect enough money, and so on.

To sum up, although buying tickets under this system looks like a mission to carry the ring to Mordor and destroy it in Mount Doom, it has some logic and also good points, I think. The only thing I can't explain is the list of requirements, which makes participation in the lottery  impossible for most foreigners.

Another advantage of several lottery stages: People can try several times and hope to be lucky next time. (Sorry if this has already been said, I’ve been away for a while, catching up the last dozens of pages now.) So disappointment could be minimised a bit, excitement among applicants staying at a high level for quite some time. And based on the number of applications the organisers considered adding more seats. A well thought out strategy, very Yuzu-like 😊.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, Anni said:

Message from Yuzu (translation)🙏

[NEWS]

:clapclap4:

It’s amazing how much Yuzu has obviously been listening to his fans all the time, even when not communicating openly. He has brought many of us to tears when he announced projects we had hoped for. He really deserves this price for public relations.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:36 AM, ImmortalBeloved said:

The passing of a friend

It is with sadness that I share that our fellow Satellite @Muffinator passed away early yesterday morning (USA time) after a battle with an aggressive cancer.  She had mentioned this illness on her profile last year. Some of you may remember her as spearheading a letter campaign last year where she showed tremendous determination in advocating for fairness in FS judging. Those of you who were part of the campaign can vouch for her strong organizational skills, her logical approach and leadership.    Muffinator was a deeply introspective person, and we would often chat about really existential-level Yuzu things.  She was never afraid to speak her mind both on this forum and in private. Her views were interesting and unusual.

She was a devoted Fanyu and found so much joy in watching Yuzu's performances. Even during her illness she often remarked at how watching Yuzu's skating would take her away from the pain, even if it was for a short time. She was able to loose herself in his performances. Looking at Yuzu's photo books also served as a joyful distraction from her suffering. I know she was so grateful for Yuzu's comforting power.  She leaves behind her devoted husband and teenage boy. 

Devastated to hear the news, I send my prayers and deepest condolences to her family. As a fellow of the letter campaign, it makes me feel especially sad. We only knew each other for a short period of time, but it was a very enriching and educational collaboration that I will always treasure. I hope that our efforts can pay off one day and make figure skating a better sport (I am still considering to complete and forward our project, when the right time has come, so that our efforts were not in vain).

Quick news from Wiki: some fellow template editors helped us to add two new parameters to the infobox: "years competitive" and "years professional". They are a more detailed alternative to the parameter "retired". The change was initiated by @Briq_S, thank you very much for that!

With this addition, Yuzu's Wiki article no longer contains the term "retired" or any of its derivatives.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Devastated to hear the news, I send my prayers and deepest condolences to her family. As a fellow of the letter campaign, it makes me feel especially sad. We only knew each other for a short period of time, but it was a very enriching and educational collaboration that I will always treasure. I hope that our efforts can pay off one day and make figure skating a better sport (I am still considering to complete and forward our project, when the right time has come, so that our efforts were not in vain).

Quick news from Wiki: some fellow template editors helped us to add two new parameters to the infobox: "years competitive" and "years professional". They are a more detailed alternative to the parameter "retired". The change was initiated by @Briq_S, thank you very much for that!

With this addition, Yuzu's Wiki article no longer contains the term "retired" or any of its derivatives.

Thank you heaps @Henni147 and your team members for all your hard work. Thank you. :peace2:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you @Henni147 for the great news.:clapclap4:

On 2/18/2023 at 5:36 PM, ImmortalBeloved said:

The passing of a friend

It is with sadness that I share that our fellow Satellite @Muffinator passed away early yesterday morning (USA time) after a battle with an aggressive cancer.  She had mentioned this illness on her profile last year. Some of you may remember her as spearheading a letter campaign last year where she showed tremendous determination in advocating for fairness in FS judging. Those of you who were part of the campaign can vouch for her strong organizational skills, her logical approach and leadership.    Muffinator was a deeply introspective person, and we would often chat about really existential-level Yuzu things.  She was never afraid to speak her mind both on this forum and in private. Her views were interesting and unusual.

She was a devoted Fanyu and found so much joy in watching Yuzu's performances. Even during her illness she often remarked at how watching Yuzu's skating would take her away from the pain, even if it was for a short time. She was able to loose herself in his performances. Looking at Yuzu's photo books also served as a joyful distraction from her suffering. I know she was so grateful for Yuzu's comforting power.  She leaves behind her devoted husband and teenage boy. 

Thank you for sharing the sad news here. R.I.P Muffinator. I take comfort that Yuzu, like a godsend, came into her life and provided her with emotional and spiritual support through his actions and performances, inspiring her to be brave, courageous and strong in her dark moments. My deepest condolences to her family and may they find peace and strength to get through the difficult days ahead.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:36 AM, ImmortalBeloved said:

The passing of a friend

I'm so sorry to hear this - I have spoken a few times with Muffinator and I was impressed by her spirit, determination and compassion. I wish her family all the best moving forward

15 hours ago, Ulrinis said:

Another advantage of several lottery stages: People can try several times and hope to be lucky next time. (Sorry if this has already been said, I’ve been away for a while, catching up the last dozens of pages now.) So disappointment could be minimised a bit, excitement among applicants staying at a high level for quite some time. And based on the number of applications the organisers considered adding more seats. A well thought out strategy, very Yuzu-like 😊.

But the fact remains that it's the same total number of seats being sold, whether you're selling them all at once in a first-come, first-served feeding frenzy, or doling them out in miserly bits with round after round of lottery and getting people's hopes up, then dashing them, over and over again.

It all comes down to the ultimate goal of the selling system, which should be the same in either case: to prevent excessive scalping and/or fraudulent ticket sales.