General Yuzuru Chat

Okay, I get the point from a couple of you.  Yuzu as flag-bearer would not be the wisest idea.  But if Yuzu participates in the opening ceremonies you can be certain the cameras will find him when he enters with the other Japanese and the audience will be informed that he's pursuing his third consecutive gold, something that hasn't been done for nearly a century.  That will still get the message out.  As far as Yuzu's third gold being the big story of the games next year, I still stand behind that assertion.  And you can bet that while the Americans (and perhaps the Canadians) will not do so every other broadcaster covering the games will have special short coverage of him, giving the watchers around the world a quick course in the saga of Yuzuru Hanyu, detailing his achievements, his trials (the earthquake, the collision, the crippling fall) and his position in Japan, a position in which in Japan he is an icon far transcending being simply a figure-skater.  For those thinking that the NC/Yuzu competition will be the major story they are dead wrong.  NBC will be only a small part of the worldwide coverage.  The various other nations' broadcasters covering figure-skating do not take their marching orders from NBC and their commentators are far more likely to favor Yuzu over Nathan and for them the question of Yuzu's third straight gold and the possibility of finally seeing someone doing a 4A, well, those two elements will be the ones shaping the narrative in nations other than the US.

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Just watching the Olympics dressage freestyle on Japanese satellite Channel (BS Green channel グリーンチャンネル). The Japanese commentators at the start of the competition was explaining how they set the order saying “it’s just like the Free Program for figure skating - top ranking competitors are grouped into categories, with highest performers at the end, randomly selected within each group!”

I wish one of them would perform to Seimei. Perhaps one day…. Japanese dressage will take another decade to get to this level but my hope is that Tokyo Olympics will raise the profile.  Yuzu could pick up dressage. The he can perform well into his 70s like Mr Hoketsu. Freestyle is like Figure skating, judged on technical and artistic merits.  Plus they have judges spread out on 7 points around the ring!! Unlike FS sadly…

Uh oh, you just validated a crack idea of mine, conceived in a daydream...

Spoiler

One day I just figured out a post-FS career — an (Olympic-level) equestrian rider (though competing in the jump discipline instead of dressage 😅🙈🐎).

His coach? Ulysses S. Grant (why?? just because!! 🥴🤪)

(...told you it's a crack (ie. utter nonsense) idea 😛😛😛)

20 hours ago, Anni said:

Here is the translation 

Credit: @ orangesrgd on twitter

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him, that he soon achieve his goal 🙏 The most important thing is of course, that he stay healthy and injury free. 

I am sure he will soon make good friends with 4A-san too! I am glad that he has a plan where he works towards his goals. I wonder what other higher grounds he wishes to reach! It reminds me of that meme of Yuzu flying like a helicopter to the sky with his spins :happy0065:

As for what the media will say, what the politicking behind the scenes will be, how the winter Olympics, etc, I will not speculate because I can barely plan for what to eat for dinner, much less predict the future. I just know that I will support Yuzu whatever he does, and continue supporting his skating because that is his one true love :figure-skating-smiley:  

38 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So....who here is excited by what Yuzu said about how he wants to reach even greater heights in skating  'after 4A'?

In other words, maybe he's not planning to r***** any time soon. 

Yuzu may want to become the first man to land all 6 quad jumps so he'll have to land 4F in an ISU competition :68468287::13877886:

40 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So....who here is excited by what Yuzu said about how he wants to reach even greater heights in skating  'after 4A'?

In other words, maybe he's not planning to r***** any time soon. 

Me me me! I am super excited! I wonder what else he will try to do to push the sport even further? Maybe he will invent some new moves of his own! 

His passion really makes me want to skate really well too (although my physical abilities are generally very lacking). At some point in the (extremely distant) future, maybe I will try a hydroblade!

2 hours ago, Sha said:

Me me me! I am super excited! I wonder what else he will try to do to push the sport even further? Maybe he will invent some new moves of his own! 

His passion really makes me want to skate really well too (although my physical abilities are generally very lacking). At some point in the (extremely distant) future, maybe I will try a hydroblade!

A quint as the last jumping pass, a 4A in combo, a Hanyu club where correct toepick and edges prevail  :war:

4 hours ago, Sha said:

I would give my eyeteeth to have the strength and flexibility to do a hydroblade...I can barely even get into the position on land

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

A quint as the last jumping pass, a 4A in combo, a Hanyu club where correct toepick and edges prevail  :war:

His own judging system that automatically disqualifies people from competing on the basis of depth of their edges and accuracy of their axel technique

13 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

His own judging system that automatically disqualifies people from competing on the basis of depth of their edges and accuracy of their axel technique

Betcha the subject of the latest drama, master of the backaxel, would be the first to be disqualified…