General Yuzuru Chat

28 minutes ago, azelais said:

Crazy idea, but I wonder if he's tried 4A with rippon? It seems to work well for the Russian girls and getting an extra little boost on their quads. Plus a 4A rippon would just be insanely cool.

Has he ever done 3A with rippon?

I can't remember Yuzu ever attempting a rippon 3A. Compared to the Russian girls the shape of his arms in the rippon variation is rather circular than stretched, so I don't think it would help him really.

EDIT:

The more (vertically) stretched and tight your body is, the faster you rotate. I'm actually baffled about Yuzu's incredible rotation speed, considering that his elbows are not pulled in, but angled sideways.

Footnote: I really like Yuzu's circular or ring-shaped rippon and biellmann positions. It has something very natural and aesthetically pleasing for me.

Btw: I can totally picture Yuzu being back to his hotel room and updating his 4A logbook, feeding in 3 new pages with descriptions, stats and footnotes about his latest 11 attempts.

That would be so much like him :space:

A great article on Tokyo Sports:

4AとAI。羽生選手が思い描く輝かしい未来...

"4A and AI. The brilliant future envisioned by Skater Hanyu"

Written by a former FS judge, Hiramatsu Junko who retired in June 2018.  She refers to Yuzu's thesis and the importance of combining AI technology with human evaluation to enhance the quality of Figure Skating.  Although he ended up second at WTT, she sees Yuzu continuing to make pathbreaking progress by combining AI and 4A.  She foresees a brilliant future for Yuzu in this direction. 

You know what? He's really great.:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

And so kind too, in spite of all the heart attacks, feelings of chaos etc. Because he owes nobody to show his progression in the birth of 4A sama, yet he still gives this to us, after that hard quarantine with probably not the right food or the best training conditions etc.:59227c768286a__s:

Let's hope too, this will shut up those who pretend that his speaking sincerely and openly of his progression towards the jump is just PR...

As mentioned above by others, I fully agree it is a statement and to me, a clear sign he is paying attention to what is being said about him. I think it is as much to shut up the talking heads, as it is to show competitors he isn't slowing down. This will raise pressure in its own right to them to start working. Sooner or later, he'll do it.

As one European commentator mentioned "try and catch me, but you never will".

28 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I can't remember Yuzu ever attempting a rippon 3A. Compared to the Russian girls the shape of his arms in the rippon variation is rather circular than stretched, so I don't think it would help him really.

EDIT:

The more stretched and tight your body is, the faster you rotate. I'm actually baffled about Yuzu's incredible rotation speed, considering that his elbows are not pulled in, but angled sideways.

Footnote: I really like Yuzu's circular or ring-shaped rippon and biellmann positions. It has something very natural and aesthetically pleasing for me.

Btw: I can totally picture Yuzu being back to his hotel room and updating his 4A logbook, feeding in 3 new pages with descriptions, stats and footnotes about his latest 11 attempts.

That would be so much like him :space:

I also think that he wanted to get a good video recording of his 4A to add to his "collection of 4A specimen" to advance his research.  Mission accomplished! 

Yuzu has been doing this since his junior years, i.e.,  letting the media record his comments and performance so that he can review them later and build up a better understanding of his own mental condition and behavior.   He takes copious notes based on these scientific observations!  By doing so, he ends up compiling - in print, video and in digital cloud - a large archive of his long journey toward his vision.  The young man is truly a visionary, and is getting even better at this art of creating, evaluating and sharing the narrative with the public. 

Someone in the twitter made reference to the words of Yu Darvish in connection with Yuzu.  Darvish recently made news with a new type of curve ball.  Instead of keeping the technique secret, he has shared a video revealing in great detail the new technique.   He said he wanted to share this with everyone because the purpose of his effort in developing the new pitch is to raise the quality of baseball overall and have many people try this new technique.  It's an equivalent to Open Source system in IT  - to promote greater equity and democratic values.   

The Japanese TV is celebrating these young men from Tohoku - the pro golfer Matsuyama, Darvish and Ohtani - who are following the footsteps of Ichiro in combining great atheleticism with deep commitment to ethical values. It's a nice change from the usual media frenzy digging into the negative side of things, and hopefully it will have a lasting effect from the sheer number and level of accomplishments by these athletes. 

Sportsmanship at its best, and what the Olympics was supposed to embody, alas, before commercial greed ate into its core...

9 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

I also think that he wanted to get a good video recording of his 4A to add to his "collection of 4A specimen" to advance his research.  Mission accomplished! 

Yuzu has been doing this since his junior years, i.e.,  letting the media record his comments and performance so that he can review them later and build up a better understanding of his own mental condition and behavior.   He takes copious notes based on these scientific observations!  By doing so, he ends up compiling - in print, video and in digital cloud - a large archive of his long journey toward his vision.  The young man is truly a visionary, and is getting even better at this art of creating, evaluating and sharing the narrative with the public. 

Someone in the twitter made reference to the words of Yu Darvish in connection with Yuzu.  Darvish recently made news with a new type of curve ball.  Instead of keeping the technique secret, he has shared a video revealing in great detail the new technique.   He said he wanted to share this with everyone because the purpose of his effort in developing the new pitch is to raise the quality of baseball overall and have many people try this new technique.  It's an equivalent to Open Source system in IT  - to promote greater equity and democratic values.   

The Japanese TV is celebrating these young men from Tohoku - the pro golfer Matsuyama, Darvish and Ohtani - who are following the footsteps of Ichiro in combining great atheleticism with deep commitment to ethical values. It's a nice change from the usual media frenzy digging into the negative side of things, and hopefully it will have a lasting effect from the sheer number and level of accomplishments by these athletes. 

Sportsmanship at its best, and what the Olympics was supposed to embody, alas, before commercial greed ate into its core...

Adding to the comments above, Ichiro said it best here:  "There is something odd (wrong) about letting those who cut corners to flourish."

58 minutes ago, azelais said:

Crazy idea, but I wonder if he's tried 4A with rippon? It seems to work well for the Russian girls and getting an extra little boost on their quads. Plus a 4A rippon would just be insanely cool.

Has he ever done 3A with rippon?

I can't say for sure it would be no help, but at least I don't think it would be as helpful on the 4A.

(This is going to be very nerdy and not what you were looking for, but I'm a science student and the mechanisms behind figure skating jumps are fascinating to me)

Firstly, the reason the russian girls can get some boost out of the rippon is that they jump very much with their upper bodies and shoulders, rather than their legs. Yuzu is the opposite; his arms are often very loose in the takeoff (though naturally not on the axel), and his shoulders remain relatively low and relaxed throughout the entire jump. Using a rippon as a boost would kind of contradict the fundamentals of his beautiful technique. 

Secondly, in addition to jump styles being very different, the axel is a very different jump from the other quads, and I think a risk of using the rippon on an axel is that it would stunt the forward momentum slightly. That isn't a problem with other kinds of jumps, and also wouldn't be an issue for most girl quadsters anyway because forward momentum isn't... a terribly important aspect in their quads. In Yuzu's case, on the other hand, it could potentially be an issue. 

Thirdly, and maybe most importantly: I think that arguably the biggest benefit of the rippon, rather than a boost, is that it can help stabilize the jump axis for some people by keeping their backs straight (which I think is part of why Zhenya does it for most of her jumps). That isn't a big problem for Yuzu on the axel, so it wouldn't benefit him. 

But yes, it would look awesome.

8 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Gosh, how mentally strong Yuzu must be to attack Nessie so many times in the very same arena where quad Lutzifer caused him an almost career ending injury four years ago...

It almost feels like Nessie is chasing away all the evil spirits of the past and reparing Yuzu's relationship with Osaka.

Yuzu's Nessie is going to chase away Nathan's Lutzifer.

Edit: Yuzu's Nessie is going to chase away Nathan's Lutzie. Yuzu has the Lutzifer.

Although I am constantly worried about the risk of injury, him YOLOing is one of the reasons why he is so captivating. He is always aiming for the stars. He is self motivated and never forgets the dream he had when he was a kid.

He never loses his spark as a certain someone suggested.

:fire:

23 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

Last night I went to bed early and layed there staring at the ceiling still very upset about what had happened during the free skate and started slowly losing hope while thinking about the worst.

Somewhere between being asleep and awake, maybe even in my dreams, I heard/imagined a voice. I couldn't tell if it was my own inside voice or someone else's voice but there was some kind of whisper.

I'm can't be sure what exactly the voice said since many hours have passed since then, but I think I remember hearing a faint 'Just wait'.

When I woke up I went on Twitter and saw my DMs and the TL filled with people talking about Yuzuru doing quad Axels at the gala practise.

Now I'm not very religious or too supersticious and probably just exaggerating but I can't help but wonder who said that or at least why did my unconscious randomly choose to think that phrase. Did it even have anything to do with Yuzuru? I guess I'm going crazy afterall. This sport really is my downfall.

I read last week that Yuzuru landed 4A successfully in his LUCID dream. The moment I read that, I knew that he is going to land it. Lucid dreams condition the brain, they improve problem solving and make the dreamer more creative towards the problem. When the brain is fully conditioned, the body follows. 

Coming to you: your brain was possibly overloaded with your worries about Yuzuru, because you care so much. But when something like that happens, you get your answer from your consious immediately. This is not supersitition nor religion. This is pure science that brain works best when relaxed. So when your brain tells you to wait, it is because you need to wait. Trust in your dream and in Yuzuru's too.