General Yuzuru Chat

48 минут назад, Cynthia сказал:

On a side note, I have been wondering what he will do once he actually retires. If he stays in Japan, he might still be an easy target for his fans to stalk and harass him.

I don't see Yuzu staying in any other country than Japan, he surely loves his home. Stalking also must be less after retirement and I am not sure how bad it is now. I think most Sendai people are respectful.

54 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

Ironically, just last night I watched the downloaded movie for the second time on my Galaxy Tab A. 

On a side note, I have been wondering what he will do once he actually retires. If he stays in Japan, he might still be an easy target for his fans to stalk and harass him. On the other hand, if he chooses to stay in Canada first he won't have much of a Japanese community here. And if he chooses to get married he might have to ask his parents to set him up with someone willing to come to Canada. I  know it's is such a long way off, but last time we discussed this I hadn't contributed to the conversation. It's just been on my mind for a long time so do what you want with my post. I won't mind because I just wanted to put it out there. That is all. :)

Hmm after retirement I think he will still be involved in skating one way or another! Maybe a coach, maybe a choreographer, maybe a performer, maybe all of the above!

He will surely be an amazing performer, and an amazing choreographer given his artistry, creativity and ability to connect with the music. But I’m not too sure about coaching! I’m not saying I think he will be bad at coaching, but I’m saying I can’t be sure because being a great skater doesn’t automatically make one a great coach. Nevertheless I just want to support him on the rest of his journey, wherever his competitive and post-retirement career takes him :) 

On a side note, chanced across this super cute old video again!! I’m still a bit ??? at why he didn’t answer the question XD

9 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hmm after retirement I think he will still be involved in skating one way or another! Maybe a coach, maybe a choreographer, maybe a performer, maybe all of the above!

He will surely be an amazing performer, and an amazing choreographer given his artistry, creativity and ability to connect with the music. But I’m not too sure about coaching! I’m not saying I think he will be bad at coaching, but I’m saying I can’t be sure because being a great skater doesn’t automatically make one a great coach. Nevertheless I just want to support him on the rest of his journey, wherever his competitive and post-retirement career takes him :) 

On a side note, chanced across this super cute old video again!! I’m still a bit ??? at why he didn’t answer the question XD

Hey, I wouldn't hold it against him if he wants to return to Sendai. He's been outside of Japan for almost a decade now. Why shouldn't he want to return? Should he do something like ice shows I would go if I was nearby. Besides, I had always thought of going to Japan for a year's study in a couple years or even for a trip. Adding an ice show sounds pretty cool too.

11 минут назад, FlyingCamel сказал:

He will surely be an amazing performer, and an amazing choreographer given his artistry, creativity and ability to connect with the music. But I’m not too sure about coaching! I’m not saying I think he will be bad at coaching, but I’m saying I can’t be sure because being a great skater doesn’t automatically make one a great coach. Nevertheless I just want to support him on the rest of his journey, wherever his competitive and post-retirement career takes him

Interesting. I myself see him more like a technical coach given how we know he gave advises to other skaters than choreographer (seeing small bits of his choreo :biggrin:). Being great artist doesn't mean he can be great choreographer for others (though who knows). But also I see him doing smth bigger for the sport.

While I can't say I'm looking forward to his r********t, I am really interested to see what shape his future career will take.   Perhaps in time he will reinvent the skating academy format (TCC Japanese style?).  He's moved the sport forward, as they say, and reinvented the ice show format with Continues. Whatever he chooses to do, he will undoubtably be an innovator.  So there's something to look forward to in that.  

2 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Ironically, just last night I watched the downloaded movie for the second time on my Galaxy Tab A. 

On a side note, I have been wondering what he will do once he actually retires. If he stays in Japan, he might still be an easy target for his fans to stalk and harass him. On the other hand, if he chooses to stay in Canada first he won't have much of a Japanese community here. And if he chooses to get married he might have to ask his parents to set him up with someone willing to come to Canada. I  know it is such a long way off, but last time we discussed this I hadn't contributed to the conversation. It's just been on my mind for a long time so do what you want with my post. I won't mind because I just wanted to put it out there. That is all. :)

1 hour ago, Cynthia said:

Hey, I wouldn't hold it against him if he wants to return to Sendai. He's been outside of Japan for almost a decade now. Why shouldn't he want to return? Should he do something like ice shows I would go if I was nearby. Besides, I had always thought of going to Japan for a year's study in a couple years or even for a trip. Adding an ice show sounds pretty cool too.

Yuzu comes to and stays in Toronto only long enough to train at the TCC. As far as I know, he hasn’t even been to downtown Toronto. He spends his time either at the TCC or the apartment that he shares with his mother and commuting between the two with occasional outings to buy groceries with his mother. As soon as each competitive season is over, he and his mother go straight back to Sendai. Toronto has never been a home to Yuzu. When he stops competing, he will have no reason to return to Toronto. He will stay in Sendai and continue a career involving skating, probably performing. With his looks, intelligence and charisma, all sorts of opportunities are open to him, but as he has said, “I was born for my skate” (or “I was born to skate.”)

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzu comes to and stays in Toronto only long enough to train at the TCC. As far as I know, he hasn’t even been to downtown Toronto. He spends his time either at the TCC or the apartment that he shares with his mother and commuting between the two with occasional outings to buy groceries with his mother. As soon as each competitive season is over, he and his mother go straight back to Sendai. Toronto has never been a home to Yuzu. When he stops competing, he will have no reason to return to Toronto. He will stay in Sendai and continue a career involving skating, probably performing. With his looks, intelligence and charisma, all sorts of opportunities are open to him, but as he has said, “I was born for my skate” (or “I was born to skate.”)

Nevertheless, staying in Toronto makes no sense regardless of training purposes, it's big as hell. Canada doesn't have a big Japanese-Canadian population at all. Most of the fully Japanese are older and the younger generation are in interracial marriages with hafu kids. There are Japanese single mothers with kids and once they are grown they don't care about their cultural heritage or Japanese language. Their community doesn't have very strong cultural retention and unlike what Yuzuru is used to. I would hardly blame him or his mom for not staying. His safety and health, though, has to be at top priority.

7 hours ago, Geo1 said:

When he stops competing, he will have no reason to return to Toronto.

That's not strictly true. Apart from TCC, Toronto is something of an epicenter of figure skating overall, so I expect Yuzu will always have professional reasons to return there for visits, but I agree with you that he's never going to settle there permanently. 

As for what Yuzu does with his career...I expect him to follow in Shizuka's footsteps and become involved in the JSF executive over time. My gut feeling is that the man is secretly burning to change things from within for the sport in Japan, and you can't do that without being influential in the federation. 

12 hours ago, Lunna said:

Interesting. I myself see him more like a technical coach given how we know he gave advises to other skaters than choreographer (seeing small bits of his choreo :biggrin:). Being great artist doesn't mean he can be great choreographer for others (though who knows). But also I see him doing smth bigger for the sport.

Psst, seeing small bits of his choreo, I think the same as you too... :P

Though as a technical coach, I also wonder if he may be too geeky such that his words go over the heads of his students. 

Whatever his decision for his post-competitor career, he better continue to do some ice shows! I still want to see him skate live for a few more years. I'm not greedy. Just make it 10 more years.