General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Songster01 said:

Ice rinks to open for fs in Ontario. Not sure if additional restrictions for Toronto, but not seeing any yet. Note border remains closed for tourism. Not sure if elite athletes would be granted an exception and then required to quarantine: 

Keegan posted on his Instagram account yesterday - skating, alone, on a big rink.  I don't know if he's still in Alaska though.  Japan has lifted the state of emergency and flights are leaving there. And Miyagi has lifted restrictions, so if Yuzu can't get back to Toronto right away, he'll at least be able to practice in ice.

15 minutes ago, barbara said:

Keegan posted on his Instagram account yesterday - skating, alone, on a big rink.  I don't know if he's still in Alaska though.  Japan has lifted the state of emergency and flights are leaving there. And Miyagi has lifted restrictions, so if Yuzu can't get back to Toronto right away, he'll at least be able to practice in ice.

Unless he needs a quarantine.

8 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Unless he needs a quarantine.

Yuzuru (and nearly any other person arriving in Canada, including citizens and PRs), would have to 1) show they had permission/had a passport/PR card/visa (any that are applicable) and any other documents required for anyone granted special permission and 2) self-isolate for 14 days, unless the rules change by the time he arrives: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions  There would be a scandal if people were simply allowed in w/o doing this, quite apart from the legal ramifications:

"If you’re exempt from the travel restrictions, you must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

The penalties for not following your quarantine plan can include

• a fine of up to $750,000
  • 6 months of jail time
  • being found inadmissible, removed from Canada and banned from entering for 1 year

Only people who provide essential services, for example truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements." 

Supposedly there is screening of all passengers, but reports even after casual travel ended suggest Canadian screening was minimal and some people ended up saying their symptoms happened to start during transit (I'm skeptical esp on short flights because it seems a bit too convenient), which makes going straight from the airport right into quarantine essential (without stopping anywhere so you need to arrange supplies for 14 days at your dwelling).  Of course I would expect Yuzu and his Mom would follow the rules scrupulously and I know the coaches expect all the skaters to set a good example while here. 

7 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

Yuzuru (and nearly any other person arriving in Canada, including citizens and PRs), would have to 1) show they had permission/had a passport/PR card/visa (any that are applicable) and any other documents required for anyone granted special permission and 2) self-isolate for 14 days, unless the rules change by the time he arrives: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions  There would be a scandal if people were simply allowed in w/o doing this, quite apart from the legal ramifications:

"If you’re exempt from the travel restrictions, you must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

The penalties for not following your quarantine plan can include

• a fine of up to $750,000
  • 6 months of jail time
  • being found inadmissible, removed from Canada and banned from entering for 1 year

Only people who provide essential services, for example truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements." 

Supposedly there is screening of all passengers, but reports even after casual travel ended suggest Canadian screening was minimal and some people ended up saying their symptoms happened to start during transit (I'm skeptical esp on short flights because it seems a bit too convenient), which makes going straight from the airport right into quarantine essential (without stopping anywhere so you need to arrange supplies for 14 days at your dwelling).  Of course I would expect Yuzu and his Mom would follow the rules scrupulously and I know the coaches expect all the skaters to set a good example while here. 

Brian doesn't start early season training at TCC until July anyway, so there's no need for Yuzu to rush back right now. He can wait to see if the restrictions are going to change anytime soon. 

Reality is, until the ISU makes decisions about how the next season of competition will proceed, Yuzu's probably perfectly fine remaining in Sendai. 

Please understand, the announcement today is NOT approval for Skate Ontario clubs and skating schools to begin operation at this time.  This is not a green light for skating to resume on May 19th.

We know everyone is anxious to resume skating.   We are pleased by today’s announcement and ask for your patience as we move forward.  Skate Ontario is awaiting further information from the government and public health on specific recommendations and details related to today’s announcement.

https://skateontario.org/skate-ontarios-covid-19-response-premier-fords-may-14th-announcement/

Just heard about an important clarification regarding rinks in Ontario from Skate Ontario: https://skateontario.org/skate-ontarios-covid-19-response-premier-fords-may-14th-announcement/

Please understand, the announcement today is NOT approval for Skate Ontario clubs and skating schools to begin operation at this time.  This is not a green light for skating to resume on May 19th.

We know everyone is anxious to resume skating.   We are pleased by today’s announcement and ask for your patience as we move forward.  Skate Ontario is awaiting further information from the government and public health on specific recommendations and details related to today’s announcement.

We’d like to remind you that the choices all of us make in the coming days will determine our ability to move towards having all skaters back on the ice in Ontario in the near future.  We will communicate and publish guidelines and additional information as they are available.

It looked like from the very recent PDF from Skate Canada outlining new rules for safe skating in the province it might take time to get things coordinated and changed, and of course there may be other considerations as well depending on individual rinks.  And I don't know how long permission would take for foreign visitors, so Yuzu and his Mom taking their time to get things right before making the very big step of coming here would be smart.  And of course who knows what will happen re: a second wave/when the border will open enough to permit international competitions etc etc.

I'm going to hope PPE, testing and contact tracing here in Ontario and especially the Toronto area will continue to grow enough to quickly stamp out any new outbreaks.  Most cases in the province are here in TO and so it's a risk for anyone living here, even more so for those with comorbidities.  So hopefully he knows that and can make an informed decision about whether to risk coming back. 

ETA: @Paskud I am sorry I didn't see your post; I was typing this up when you posted.:tumblr_inline_mzx8v0X45Z1r8msi5:

I got THAT Olympic practice (aka the one where he just did singles plus one (1) 3A). Very fitting because I saw a video of that practice and thought it was amusing before I even became a Yuzu fan!

On the other hand, because of this quiz I have in my google search history "yuzuru hanyu sp*rm tweet" and now I want to die.