General Yuzuru Chat

On 3/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

That's because the info is only on the 'Volunteer Opportunities' page of the Skate Canada site so far (they're looking for volunteers for next year).  So it may or may not be official yet. 

Be nice if SC could get that competition away from the suburban wastelands of west Toronto and back to somewhere hotels are within walking distance of the rink. 

It would be thrilling if it was downtown Toronto or some charming compact southern ON town with a decent rink.  London might work in the latter case?  But the former is likely much too expensive to rent.  Hey, they could use my neighborhood outdoor rink!!  I'm sure it's completely safe for triples, let alone quints Mr. Hanyu  :agree2:  Of course there's the matter that in September they'd have to use roller skates!  Only a half hour from TTC (if the traffic gods are kind)!  I hope you all don't mind fighting over picnic tables or artfully arranged stone "bleachers".

Canadian Nationals was held in Mississauga at a roughly comparable rink (though somewhat larger than 16 Mile) and man do I prefer the 16 Mile rink and location.  Food was not great compared to 16 Mile and there was no easily walkable super nice grocery you could go to eat at.  Also the wind was very strong and bitter and that was a couple days before there was an actual snowstorm (ok ok def not something you expect here in Sept!).  And the buses were not reliable at all and I ended up spending a large sum on an Uber to get back home one night. 

There's also Scotiabank Pond in North York, where I've gone to the GTA Summer Skate (some Canadian and locally training international skaters like Nam, Keegan, and Utashin debuted their programs), but there's much less seating in the rink we were in (I think it's the biggest rink there, though I may be wrong) plus..HOCKEY NETTING :angry_party:  Can you imagine the roars of disapproval at having to watch Yuzu through hockey netting?  I loathe it.  Trust me, it does subdue the performances and no photos will be good.  And SP food and drink was the worst of the three local rinks I've seen competitions at.  It does have more reliable buses, and sometimes there's a farmers' market open?  If not you'd need the bus or car to find more decent fare. 

There may be other "potentials" at Nam and Roman's rinks, for example, but I'm not sure if any have seating for a thousand or not.  Otherwise, I'm not sure if Sept sees a lot of training camps in local indoor rinks?

5 hours ago, Songster01 said:

It would be thrilling if it was downtown Toronto or some charming compact southern ON town with a decent rink.  London might work in the latter case?  But the former is likely much too expensive to rent.  Hey, they could use my neighborhood outdoor rink!!  I'm sure it's completely safe for triples, let alone quints Mr. Hanyu  :agree2:  Of course there's the matter that in September they'd have to use roller skates!  Only a half hour from TTC (if the traffic gods are kind)!  I hope you all don't mind fighting over picnic tables or artfully arranged stone "bleachers".

Canadian Nationals was held in Mississauga at a roughly comparable rink (though somewhat larger than 16 Mile) and man do I prefer the 16 Mile rink and location.  Food was not great compared to 16 Mile and there was no easily walkable super nice grocery you could go to eat at.  Also the wind was very strong and bitter and that was a couple days before there was an actual snowstorm (ok ok def not something you expect here in Sept!).  And the buses were not reliable at all and I ended up spending a large sum on an Uber to get back home one night. 

There's also Scotiabank Pond in North York, where I've gone to the GTA Summer Skate (some Canadian and locally training international skaters like Nam, Keegan, and Utashin debuted their programs), but there's much less seating in the rink we were in (I think it's the biggest rink there, though I may be wrong) plus..HOCKEY NETTING :angry_party:  Can you imagine the roars of disapproval at having to watch Yuzu through hockey netting?  I loathe it.  Trust me, it does subdue the performances and no photos will be good.  And SP food and drink was the worst of the three local rinks I've seen competitions at.  It does have more reliable buses, and sometimes there's a farmers' market open?  If not you'd need the bus or car to find more decent fare. 

There may be other "potentials" at Nam and Roman's rinks, for example, but I'm not sure if any have seating for a thousand or not.  Otherwise, I'm not sure if Sept sees a lot of training camps in local indoor rinks?

It doesn't have to be in or around GTA at all, you know. Or even in Ontario. 

And there is nothing inherently wrong with  hoping for a better location, so why are you hitting me with such a broadside of sarcasm? 

Re Brian's comments: what I understood from what he said was that he was a bit shocked by the amount of abuse he got over the GPF situation when it was something that happened through no fault or intention of his own. And he brought it up as an example of how easy it is to get crucified on social media. 

I'm not going to speculate on how such a situation  ( i.e. GPF) came about, since I can picture several scenarios. No doubt all three of them found it exceedingly awkward and embarrassing. 

So sorry to be off topic but I would like to ask if anyone were able to vote for Yuzu for the MVP, Lifetime Achievement Award, and Best Costume awards of the ISU award? I know it's clownery stuffs but to me the only good thing that could come out of this is if they award the awards to Yuzu (rightfully so), we can get more Yuzu screentime. I was unable to vote last time when they announced it and I stopped following the sport for a couple of months. To me I don't see why Yuzu would not win all three awards given the gap between his popularity and the rest of the skaters. The only reason he wouldn't get all three or at least both the MVP and Lifetime Achievement Award is if the ISU manipulates the vote, which isn't surprising considering how they have been doing the same about scoring. 

And on another question I have, what do you guys think the ISU is looking to get out of this award show? Because if it's truly going to be based upon voting and they won't politick this, Yuzu WILL be getting those awards no doubt. So I see it as them giving the consolidation prize for fanyus/Yuzu to keep us feeding the sport because they already KNEW they will give the gold medal to someone else. 

But then if they choose to politick it again and give it to Nathan, they are probably hoping to brainwash people by making it seems like Nathan is that popular. 

57 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

So sorry to be off topic but I would like to ask if anyone were able to vote for Yuzu for the MVP, Lifetime Achievement Award, and Best Costume awards of the ISU award? I know it's clownery stuffs but to me the only good thing that could come out of this is if they award the awards to Yuzu (rightfully so), we can get more Yuzu screentime. I was unable to vote last time when they announced it and I stopped following the sport for a couple of months. To me I don't see why Yuzu would not win all three awards given the gap between his popularity and the rest of the skaters. The only reason he wouldn't get all three or at least both the MVP and Lifetime Achievement Award is if the ISU manipulates the vote, which isn't surprising considering how they have been doing the same about scoring. 

And on another question I have, what do you guys think the ISU is looking to get out of this award show? Because if it's truly going to be based upon voting and they won't politick this, Yuzu WILL be getting those awards no doubt. So I see it as them giving the consolidation prize for fanyus/Yuzu to keep us feeding the sport because they already KNEW they will give the gold medal to someone else. 

But then if they choose to politick it again and give it to Nathan, they are probably hoping to brainwash people by making it seems like Nathan is that popular. 

Voting was just the first step, the jury selected by the ISU has the final word so they can literally give it to whoever they feel like, no justification needed.

8 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Voting was just the first step, the jury selected by the ISU has the final word so they can literally give it to whoever they feel like, no justification needed.

It would be fun, if Origin 2.0 miraculously won the award for best program or costume, while Yuzu casually dropped it midseason :xD:

(It's not that the award wasn't 100% deserved, though. #TeamOrigin)

That ISU Award has ABSOLUTELY 0 credit and the sole reason for its exist is to make an entertaining show (like "Oscar of FS") to attract attention.

I mean even if they give Yuzu ALL awards, do they benefit him anything? Will it help his popularity? (more like Yuzu's popularity will boost that unknown award) Will it strengthen his status as no.1 in the sport? (it means sh*t if they don't give him Worlds title).

At the end of the day, those Awards help him NOTHING, and is just a way for ISU to exploit Yuzu's presence/fame. Believe me, they'll give him smt (the producer behind this Award idea worships Yuzu's $$$ power). I don't bother to vote, as I wholeheartedly object them to making use of his fame yet treat him like sh*t in main competition. 

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

It would be fun, if Origin 2.0 miraculously won the award for best program or costume, while Yuzu casually dropped it midseason :xD:

(It's not that the award wasn't 100% deserved, though. #TeamOrigin)

ah yes it's a glorius costume but the irony of it :176:

This said yep it's just a silly popularity contest and ,while i agree with Mr Orser about the glamourous side of FS,I don't think it will help the popularity of the sport.

I think people should boycott/walk out on the awards show. they're clearly organizing it with little thought to the safety of the audience/athletes, they did not properly represent the event when they started selling tickets leading to some people having obstructed views/scheduling issues without any forewarning, and it's clearly an excuse to do bs PR stuff while ignoring fans' actual opinions.

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

oh great, just when i thought it couldn't get any worse

phew glad i literally wouldn't miss anything without voting

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It doesn't have to be in or around GTA at all, you know. Or even in Ontario. 

And there is nothing inherently wrong with  hoping for a better location, so why are you hitting me with such a broadside of sarcasm? 

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.  I'm sorry I worded it in a way that read like that to you.  When I wrote it I was thinking about how frustrating house prices and rents are in Toronto and not trying to shade you.  It was my sadness and anger that the prices are ballooning upwards again here.  And me wishing that, if it was being held here, that it could have been held in a neighborhood that didn't feel isolated like downtown.  But the costs would be too high.

Of course ACI can and should be held outside of Ontario and outside of the GTA again.  Certainly I thought it might move back to QC or might move over to BC next year, given that those seem to be the most active regions for higher-level training.  I think that would be a good thing for people living elsewhere in Canada to get a chance to see it without flying across the country.

Yuzu will get the MVP (MVS?) award, no doubt. Even the ISU knows it would be completely indefensible and laughable if he didn't, and ultimately, unlike competition results, these awards are meaningless on a sporting level, so they can gain some Fanyu brownie points for free without sacrificing anything ("why are you still complaining about his scoring? Remember, we gave him an award to show how much we appreciate him!"). He's probably won all the other ones he was up for, based on fan engagement, but they'll use their jury prerogative to redistribute those so it isn't completely lopsided and the chosen feds are represented to their satisfaction. Anna S. for costume, Nathan for program.

5 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

I voted way back when they first started polling, and I was able to vote for Yuzu no problem. But i remember thinking at the time that their website for the awards was pretty rinky-dink and could probably be easily hacked. 

What they're trying to get out of this awards show...from what I've seen and read, my guess is they're trying to increase market share in the US. 

They could use the ice dancers for that (making skating more popular). Anyone who could watch Jean-Luc Baker wear a dead black swan and prance around with Kaitlyn Hawayek's lovely ballerina and remain untouched by the charm of skating has no heart anyway.