General Yuzuru Chat

14 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I saw on Japanese Tw about a recent interview with Ari Zakarian - the "brilliant" originator of the Awards - and apparently he told the interviewer that 10 out of 10 respondents were in favor of NC for MVP.   He seemed to be in no doubt that NC will win the Award.  So it's been cooked from the beginning. 

It was a translation of a translation so something may have gotten lost there - and now I can't locate the tweet anymore.  Has anyone seen this interview?  Assume the original was in Russian...

My cynical side wants to think Zakarian just said that to rile up the fanyus and trick them into participating in the show. 

If ISU is serious about increasing the audience for figure skating, maybe time for amateur hour is over and they should hire an actual PR firm and develop something useful. 

"Skating with the Stars" has a fantastic ring to it, and would increase interest in FS without having to harm any competitions. You could even do an audience participation version where people win a chance to skate with their Olympic idols and put together a program with them. 

Imagine what kind of a reaction a chance to skate with Yuzu would get. He wouldn't even have to be on the ice, they could do it like The Voice and just have him be the coach. 

Would be so much more entertaining than a red carpet. 

1 minute ago, Umebachi said:

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I saw on Japanese Tw about a recent interview with Ari Zakarian - the "brilliant" originator of the Awards - and apparently he told the interviewer that 10 out of 10 respondents were in favor of NC for MVP.   He seemed to be in no doubt that NC will win the Award.  So it's been cooked from the beginning. 

It was a translation of a translation so something may have gotten lost there - and now I can't locate the tweet anymore.  Has anyone seen this interview?  Assume the original was in Russian...

I recall that interview, unless it's a different one. I saw it translated as 10 out of 10 he asked said Nathan was the top men's skater in the world based on his results, but I don't think it had to do with the award. The way Zakarian talks about Yuzu fits the parameters of the award better: how good Yuzu is at attracting people and garnering media attention, how he has star quality, how the managers of skating shows wish Yuzu good health because he brings in so much revenue and publicity. Without a doubt the most literally valuable skater with the most media coverage and fan engagement is Mr. Hanyuconomy. I don't even think Nathan would crack the top 10 in that regard. It would be mostly Japanese and Russian skaters plus Sui/Han and P/C.

55 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

Without a doubt the most literally valuable skater with the most media coverage and fan engagement is Mr. Hanyuconomy. I don't even think Nathan would crack the top 10 in that regard. It would be mostly Japanese and Russian skaters plus Sui/Han and P/C.

I think you're underestimating PR work that is done for Nathan in Japan.😅 He is for sure out of top 10, but only if we include retired skaters, like V/M, Plush, Mao, Yuna and so on.

I honestly couldn't care less who will win awards. After all world title is much more important.

2 minutes ago, Crow said:

If Yuzu doesnt win most valuable skater I will turn the stream off. But maybe its the last one given and my protest will be even more insignificant to them lol

Then according to Zakarian you're just a hater and salty fanyu.:meditationf:

So many interesting, thoughtful comments!

Just two details.

Katt, I do think if ever Yuzuru Hanyu would go to Team Tutberidze for any reason, they would let him do whatever he wants. Rather (to compare with well-known Vienna's New Year Concert editions) on the extreme side of Georges Prêtre so elated for being given the opportunity of directing the Vienna Philarmonic Orchestra that he let the musicians go as they wanted — with much better result after all, than, to the other extreme, (I renounced to quote his name)'s insufferable self complacency for not-so-bright conducting of the same orchestra, seeming to believe being Austrian gave him talent? More likely in the right middle (yet the best of all, Carlos Kleiber, was so directive, and so listening in fact, but deciding to the least details), and always listening ears wide open, and watching eyes wide open, and setting him as the example he is to their pupils (they are not old enough to be students, after all). One shouldn't believe because their pupil's skating is not as perfect as some would like it to be (and they have nothing to do with under-calling of mistakes, and have problems as "newcomers and not that much network-players" with their own federation), they are blind to quality of skate — or artistry.

Of course I speak for now, and I am not sure they would give as much freedom (but how much was really given then?) to a 17-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu, as he seems to have enjoyed at TCC.

KatjaTerra, Yuzuru Hanyu is not the best spinner around? Oh please, tell me who is better than him in that respect, that I dive in such wonderful spins!

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

My cynical side wants to think Zakarian just said that to rile up the fanyus and trick them into participating in the show. 

If ISU is serious about increasing the audience for figure skating, maybe time for amateur hour is over and they should hire an actual PR firm and develop something useful. 

"Skating with the Stars" has a fantastic ring to it, and would increase interest in FS without having to harm any competitions. You could even do an audience participation version where people win a chance to skate with their Olympic idols and put together a program with them. 

Imagine what kind of a reaction a chance to skate with Yuzu would get. He wouldn't even have to be on the ice, they could do it like The Voice and just have him be the coach. 

Would be so much more entertaining than a red carpet. 

to expand on this idea: they could offer a bring-a-friend discount for competition tickets. Every time an established figure skating fan brings someone new to figure skating to a competition, give them 25% off the price of their ticket, or something. Or a free seat upgrade. 

8 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

So sorry to be off topic but I would like to ask if anyone were able to vote for Yuzu for the MVP, Lifetime Achievement Award, and Best Costume awards of the ISU award? I know it's clownery stuffs but to me the only good thing that could come out of this is if they award the awards to Yuzu (rightfully so), we can get more Yuzu screentime. I was unable to vote last time when they announced it and I stopped following the sport for a couple of months. To me I don't see why Yuzu would not win all three awards given the gap between his popularity and the rest of the skaters. The only reason he wouldn't get all three or at least both the MVP and Lifetime Achievement Award is if the ISU manipulates the vote, which isn't surprising considering how they have been doing the same about scoring. 

And on another question I have, what do you guys think the ISU is looking to get out of this award show? Because if it's truly going to be based upon voting and they won't politick this, Yuzu WILL be getting those awards no doubt. So I see it as them giving the consolidation prize for fanyus/Yuzu to keep us feeding the sport because they already KNEW they will give the gold medal to someone else. 

But then if they choose to politick it again and give it to Nathan, they are probably hoping to brainwash people by making it seems like Nathan is that popular. 

I think Anna S will probably end up with best costume simply because of the costume change and the attention it got. From memory, as much as I love Yuzuru's costumes, I think I might have voted for Shoma's original SP costume for the season. So, I don't think Yuzu is a shoo-in for the costume award (and I kind of wish that the skating community had just trolled ISU so hard over these stupid awards that Nathan wins it for his bus shirt - even he made fun of it looking like bus seats on Insta).

8 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

KatjaTerra, Yuzuru Hanyu is not the best spinner around? Oh please, tell me who is better than him in that respect, that I dive in such wonderful spins!

Actually, by scores, it's Roman Sadovsky. Someone posted a link with the data after NHK Cup. Roman tops everybody with his scores on spins.

2 minutes ago, memae said:

I think Anna S will probably end up with best costume simply because of the costume change and the attention it got. From memory, as much as I love Yuzuru's costumes, I think I might have voted for Shoma's original SP costume for the season. So, I don't think Yuzu is a shoo-in for the costume award (and I kind of wish that the skating community had just trolled ISU so hard over these stupid awards that Nathan wins it for his bus shirt - even he made fun of it looking like bus seats on Insta).

I would say her short program costume is better — or Alexandra Trusova's short program one, if people prefer one with a change. I like very much Eva-Lotta Kiibus' (FP).

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

to expand on this idea: they could offer a bring-a-friend discount for competition tickets. Every time an established figure skating fan brings someone new to figure skating to a competition, give them 25% off the price of their ticket, or something. Or a free seat upgrade. 

I understand Nikolay Tsiskaridze (GOAT in ballet, IMHO) being juree in TV-broadcasted children contests (one of which about skating) a decade or two ago (and until now) gave Russian public interest a boost, particularly to skating.

And Yuzuru Hanyu already enjoys worldwide popularity, not just in his own country.

Thank you for the information about spins scores, I have always found Yuzuru Hanyu's ridiculously low for such wonders and so difficult, do you know why Roman Sadovsky gets better scores? I am not a technical expert but I know only three skaters (the other two being Ladies, Alina Zagitova and Alena Kostornaya) who can "make speak" their spins, and nobody but Yuzuru Hanyu can make such astonishing arm movements during his spins, etc.

14 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Hmm not sure if people will agree but I personally think Yulia Lipnitskaya would be the best spinner!