Jump to content

General Yuzuru Chat


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

 

I second this. If I only look at their body movements and pure skating, I prefer Roman and Camden, too. They are really amazing, when they're on.

 

 

However, there are currently two male skaters who's movements cause me goosebumps and difficulty in breathing. These two are Yuzu and Guillaume Cizeron. They are totally different types of skaters from different disciplines, but they equally mess up my emotional household, when I watch them stroking :xD:

 

I would like to add 1 more skater to your mix. 

Yuzu, G & Cizeron, Alena Kostornaia are my 3 favorite artistic skaters. These 3 give me goosebumps.

 

 

Stepanova and bukin are next in the lineup

Link to comment
7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Unless you're trying to up your endurance. Then you need to put in the miles.  If Yuzu is serious about the five quad layout with 3A3A seq., he probably will have to put in some miles to build his stamina.

Does anyone know for sure that Yuzu can't swim?  If he can, there's a pool at TCC in which he could do laps to build stamina.  Swimming's much safer than running for stamina building since one doesn't risk injury to knees or ankles there.  The recent near-collapse at the end of his FS at GPF does serve to remind us that he still has asthma and thus he has limits to what he can do that the others skaters do not.  Just another reminder to us of how Yuzu's battles even include his own body when seeking the perfection he knows he can achieve.

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Does anyone know for sure that Yuzu can't swim?  If he can, there's a pool at TCC in which he could do laps to build stamina.  Swimming's much safer than running for stamina building since one doesn't risk injury to knees or ankles there.  The recent near-collapse at the end of his FS at GPF does serve to remind us that he still has asthma and thus he has limits to what he can do that the others skaters do not.  Just another reminder to us of how Yuzu's battles even include his own body when seeking the perfection he knows he can achieve.


I thought I read somewhere he can’t swim, but I’m not totally sure where I saw it. Swimming would definitely be easier on the knees and ankles, but it gets rough on your shoulders if you do enough of it - I had a friend who was training for the Olympic trials and had a career-ending rotator cuff injury. And I’m not sure what sort of water treatment they use at TCC - if they use chlorine as opposed to salt water, then that could potentially be an airway irritant. It always was for me back in my competitive swimming days and I don’t have any underlying airway disease. Also, while it’s possible to swim with his build, he’s definitely not buoyant to start with.

 

But if he wanted to learn to swim, I think @rockstaryuzu and I would be more than happy to teach him. Just say the word, Yuzu!

 

Edit: the article I’m reading about exercise in patients with asthma says “children with asthma can participate in sports at any level (including the Olympics) with proper treatment.” Well, yeah, obviously. 

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, river said:


I thought I read somewhere he can’t swim, but I’m not totally sure where I saw it. Swimming would definitely be easier on the knees and ankles, but it gets rough on your shoulders if you do enough of it - I had a friend who was training for the Olympic trials and had a career-ending rotator cuff injury. And I’m not sure what sort of water treatment they use at TCC - if they use chlorine as opposed to salt water, then that could potentially be an airway irritant. It always was for me back in my competitive swimming days and I don’t have any underlying airway disease. Also, while it’s possible to swim with his build, he’s definitely not buoyant to start with.

 

But if he wanted to learn to swim, I think @rockstaryuzu and I would be more than happy to teach him. Just say the word, Yuzu!

 

Edit: the article I’m reading about exercise in patients with asthma says “children with asthma can participate in sports at any level (including the Olympics) with proper treatment.” Well, yeah, obviously. 

I think one of the reasons given for why Yuzu can't swim is the very low body fat percentage he has. But asthma might also play a part. I'm not sure, but I guess there are different types of asthma and probably different degrees of how bad it is. Given how out of breath Yuzu used to be from skating, it's possible swimming could also be exhausting and I don't think panting in water is recommended. On top of that, the chlorine could be bad. But no real idea... I actually can't swim either lol I do remember he said he can't swim, though, but I don't remember the context (maybe it was that Ghana event, with him and the three actresses?)

 

Am now randomly wondering if watching Yowamushi pedal might have made him want to start learning how to ride a bike lol If so, maybe someone should recommend Free to him, so he'd get into wanting to swim, too lol (I've never watched Free, though, so I have no idea if it has a similar feel to Yowamushi... which I did start watching, out of pure curiosity and it has so far only made me wonder about Yuzu's taste in characters LOL)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, river said:


I thought I read somewhere he can’t swim, but I’m not totally sure where I saw it. Swimming would definitely be easier on the knees and ankles, but it gets rough on your shoulders if you do enough of it - I had a friend who was training for the Olympic trials and had a career-ending rotator cuff injury. And I’m not sure what sort of water treatment they use at TCC - if they use chlorine as opposed to salt water, then that could potentially be an airway irritant. It always was for me back in my competitive swimming days and I don’t have any underlying airway disease. Also, while it’s possible to swim with his build, he’s definitely not buoyant to start with.

 

But if he wanted to learn to swim, I think @rockstaryuzu and I would be more than happy to teach him. Just say the word, Yuzu!

 

Edit: the article I’m reading about exercise in patients with asthma says “children with asthma can participate in sports at any level (including the Olympics) with proper treatment.” Well, yeah, obviously. 

The whole asthma-sports connection makes me laugh. Half my swim team had asthma - their doctors recommended they swim to improve it! (Humid environment = good for lungs, I guess). 

 

Yuzu's definitely not the first Olympian with asthma and he won't be the last. 

 

And yes, I have taught many adults how to swim and would be delighted to help Yuzu with that. That being said, swimming is big as an elementary school exercise in Japan. I'd be very surprised if he'd never had lessons at all, not even through his school. 

 

But I suspect Yuzu would prefer to build his stamina by doing runthroughs and laps around the rink.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Veveco said:

I started translating the whole article because it is really nice indeed. I'll share when I'm done (it was too long to finish in one go) :reading:

I had been curious about Ghislain's backstory for a while so this was really interesting. 

I was really proud of myself for managing to read the whole thing in French! Not as out of practice as I thought.

Link to comment

I agree - two of my children, my husband and one of my siblings have asthma and swimming is really quite aggressively encouraged in the uk.   However if your asthma is accompanied by allergies as is the case with one of my children, the chlorine can be a problem.  Also the body fat percentage is a problem for buoyancy- there is a documentary about Kenzo Shirai at NSSU with a bit showing him trying hard to pass the swimming component of his course and struggling to stay afloat 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I promised you to upload a compilation of Yuzu's performances at CiONTU 2018 before the GPF, but totally forgot about it in all the excitement :dontdothistome:

EDIT: Get that. +22 minutes pure skating without a single jump. I can watch it in loop.

 

Well, here it is (720p):

 

 

Thank you very much. All your videos are great. I saw them all :-) already few months ago...

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Veveco said:

I have translated the article on Ghislain. Apologies for any unintended butchering of English grammar :peekapooh:

 

  Hide contents

G8feEVe.jpg

 

OijSMi6.jpg

 

nvX7DWR.jpg

 

JuzvGJJ.jpg

 

8JqngAr.jpg

 

6YjIqxB.jpg

 

4sANFob.jpg

 

Edit: there's a mistake in my transcript, the diagnostic was in 2008, not 2018. Sorry :13877886:

félicitation pour cette traduction.

vous avez mon admiration pour ce travail.

Bravo

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I agree - two of my children, my husband and one of my siblings have asthma and swimming is really quite aggressively encouraged in the uk.   However if your asthma is accompanied by allergies as is the case with one of my children, the chlorine can be a problem.  Also the body fat percentage is a problem for buoyancy- there is a documentary about Kenzo Shirai at NSSU with a bit showing him trying hard to pass the swimming component of his course and struggling to stay afloat 

I have to agree about body composition being a factor. One of my most spectacular learn-to-swim failures is my brother, who is a Nordic skier/rugby player/rock climber. From the start he would sink like a stone no matter what we tried because of his high muscle density and low body fat. He eventually learned to compensate by kicking more and adjusting his body position but it was a struggle. 

 

Yuzu's sinking point would definitely be his thighs - he's got so much muscle and bone with no floaty body fat at all. Swimming would be a lot of effort for him, is my guess. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...