General Yuzuru Chat

On 9/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, yuzuangel said:

Honestly, I don't even see anything wrong with cheering when Yuzu lands a big jump during someone else's runthrough. You don't see beautiful breathtaking quads every day, and a runthrough is still just practice. Welp, maybe some of the fans that I felt were trying to out-scream each other were Keegan fans, lol.

I think everyone is over-analyzing the screaming. ACI, as the first contest of the season, will always lead to over-the-top screams, for multiple reasons: 1) we've had months of anticipation. 2) they add to the frenzy by making us fight for seats, waiting in line for many, many hours (some of us overnight) thus we're already in a frenzy, and 3) costume reveal. 

Since it's the die-hard fans who have the most emotional reactions at the first contest, and these are the fans who go to non-ISU events like ACI, also since everyone has now seen the costume in pictures and video, there will naturally be less pandemonium in the next events. Also: assigned seating, so less build-up. 

Yuzu deliberately revealed that costume early. He usually skates around for awhile, but this time, he took his jacket off almost immediately. I think he knew the reaction he would get and decided to get it over with early, so the disruption could die down as quickly as possible and the skaters could then practice in relative peace. I, for one, couldn't have stopped myself from screaming if I tried. Purple is my favorite color, and that costume... every time he passed by, I felt like... this must be what it felt like for the first people to see Michelangelo's David. A perfect masterpiece. I am not ashamed. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As funny as that is, I can't help feeling like that would upset Yuzu. He's all about giving other skaters their due. 

Anyway, looks like Hanyufication of scoring systems isn't limited to the ISU. Look what just happened to Simone Biles:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/gymnastics-championships-simone-biles-penalized-for-being-too-good/ar-AAIltbN?li=AAggNb9

I see where you're coming from and it's not fair to Medo,Nathan and even Borser but I just can't help see the irony of it especially after the media is presenting  Nathan like  the best skater in the world with perfect tech and artistry :rolleyes:

Again nothing against Nathan but it's ironic if you think about certian narratives in FS....then of course I'm still salty LOL

Spoiler

I don't follow gymnastics but Simone interview came up in my TL and I could barely believe my eyes:huh:

2 hours ago, CaroSkate said:

They think Nathen was overscored and the margin should not be that large but Nathen should win as Yuzu made mistakes and Nathen didn't. You may disagree but I don't find this opinion disrespectful/unsettling/contradictory.

Agreed. In a fair world, Yuzu would have won the FS by several points, but Nathan would have won the WC by a few points - not by the ridiculous margin the cheating, lying ISU judges gave him. What I think is tragic is that the over-scoring of Nathan and the under-scoring of Yuzu is absolutely NOT Nathan's fault. He's a good kid. And yet, I too, have trouble watching him without negative feelings. If it weren't for the ISU, I could actually enjoy Nathan's skating and his friendly rivalry with Yuzu. Instead, I have to struggle against feeling satisfied when he falls. Nathan is also being told he's perfect already and has no room to grow. Why should he improve his artistry, transitions, etc.? It's tragic.

57 minutes ago, Louitunes said:

:gaah:

Hide contents

Poor Simone.  It's absolutely shocking.  All that hard work and they are worried in case competitors who cannot do her brilliant moves may try them get hurt.  

So by the way kid - you can be amazing but we are going to penalise you for it - don't they want the sport to progress.  What message is this really sending to those who want to achieve in the sport.

Heaven help us!!!!

Spoiler

I like her quote where she says the gymnastics fed is talking out of both sides of the mouth, on one hand urging the gymnasts to chase higher tech and better artistry, and on the other hand not giving points value to higher tech more artistic elements. It's so parallel to the ISU's attitude on 4A 

16 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I have morbid curiosity as to why they think that this time, as opposed to all the other times they thought that and were wrong. 

To answer my own question, they are probably doing it for the clicks.

I did not watch TSL, but I am curious to know what they mean by saying "Hanyu is screwed" ?

Do they mean that Yuzuru is now screwed by the judges who will call his quads under rotated, justified or not,  to lower his TES , GOE and also PCS, because for the judges more TES = more PCS.

Or they mean "screwed" as to say that Yuzuru is now weakened, not as good as their American favorites like Nathan and Vincent?

Either way, It is their opinion, they always say bad things about Yuzuru and many other skaters who are not their favourites.

Thank you for your explanations.

14 minutes ago, Toni said:

Agreed. In a fair world, Yuzu would have won the FS by several points, but Nathan would have won the WC by a few points - not by the ridiculous margin the cheating, lying ISU judges gave him. What I think is tragic is that the over-scoring of Nathan and the under-scoring of Yuzu is absolutely NOT Nathan's fault. He's a good kid. And yet, I too, have trouble watching him without negative feelings. If it weren't for the ISU, I could actually enjoy Nathan's skating and his friendly rivalry with Yuzu. Instead, I have to struggle against feeling satisfied when he falls. Nathan is also being told he's perfect already and has no room to grow. Why should he improve his artistry, transitions, etc.? It's tragic.

I agree. I feel the same. I used to really like Nathan when I first discovered him. It was obvious back then that he still had a lot of room for development. Nevertheless, even as a junior and young senior, it was clear that he's extremely talented and that he would achieve great things. But then the ridiculous overscoring started and got worse and worse with time. And because of this, I now watch Nathan with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I know he's a good kid and he clearly respects Yuzu and other skaters a lot. I also know that he's quite humble and very hard-working. But it's really hard for me to watch him skate knowing that even if he makes mistakes, performs empty programs and wears non-costumes, he will get high or even ridiculously high scores. And all that media hype, especially in the US, makes this even worse.

And this isn't just the case with Nathan, but also other overscored and hyped skaters like Vincent or Alysa. Not only are they overscored, but even when they make mistakes, their mistakes are overlooked. This bias has just become too blatantly obvious. And that hype is just nauseating.

And I'm so pissed about this situation because this takes so much of the joy of watching figure skating away from me. It's become really difficult for me to watch skaters like Nathan, Vincent or Alysa objectively because I know unless they spend more time on their butts than on their feet, they will get overscored and their mistakes will get overlooked. Because of this biased scoring, skaters don't have any incentives to improve. Why should they if they already get such high scores? At the same time, Yuzu and other skaters who try to bring as much quality as possible into their skating and actually play by the rules that the ISU set itself, are screwed over.

I really wonder what Nathan and other hyped skaters think of all this overscoring and media hype. Do these skaters themselves really believe that hype? Do they really believe that their scores are a realistic reflection of their true abilities and a fair judgement of their performance levels? Do they really believe they're already as good as their scores suggest, as good as the media claim they are? Or do they know very well what games are being played and they're being pragmatic and just playing along?

One thing that's certain is that all of this puts a lot of pressure and galactic expectations on these skaters. US media basically expect Nathan and Alysa to win gold in Beijing 2022. I highly doubt that all this media hype is a good thing for such young people. It certainly isn't good for the future of figure skating.

Barring disaster, Skate Canada and NHK trophy then hopefully the GPF.  Then Japanese nationals.

Simone Biles is lucky that she can speak her frustrations without fear - she’s American, she’s survived Nassar, her Fed is on the back foot after consecutive failures to deal with serious safeguarding issues going back years - they have to support her.  Whether she, with their backing, can sway FIG is another matter.

16 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

I really wonder what Nathan and other hyped skaters think of all this overscoring and media hype. Do these skaters themselves really believe that hype? Do they really believe that their scores are a realistic reflection of their true abilities and a fair judgement of their performance levels? Do they really believe they're already as good as their scores suggest, as good as the media claim they are? Or do they know very well what games are being played and they're being pragmatic and just playing along?

Even if they know it, they can't even come out and say it in public, because they represent their counties and their coaching schools, so publicly admitting they were over-scored would be impossible. Maybe they are destined to never reach their true potential because there is nothing to improve (according to the  corrupt ISU judges, anyway.) It's all very tragic.

2 hours ago, Toni said:

Agreed. In a fair world, Yuzu would have won the FS by several points, but Nathan would have won the WC by a few points - not by the ridiculous margin the cheating, lying ISU judges gave him.

This scoring system is not about "who makes less mistakes", but "what quality elements you delivered".

Skater with A A E A A A A elements should easily win against someone with C C C D C C C.

Yuzuru had superior quality and only two mistakes, meanwhile Nate uncalled URs.

Zu should win and not by small margin but at least 20-25 points.

aaaand guess what video hit 6 million views

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Barring disaster, Skate Canada and NHK trophy then hopefully the GPF.  Then Japanese nationals.

Simone Biles is lucky that she can speak her frustrations without fear - she’s American, she’s survived Nassar, her Fed is on the back foot after consecutive failures to deal with serious safeguarding issues going back years - they have to support her.  Whether she, with their backing, can sway FIG is another matter.

Hmm. Just because they really should support her, doesn't mean they will. In its own way, gymnastics is even worse than figure skating when it comes to this type of thing. 

4 hours ago, Paskud said:

This scoring system is not about "who makes less mistakes", but "what quality elements you delivered".

Skater with A A E A A A A elements should easily win against someone with C C C D C C C.

Yuzuru had superior quality and only two mistakes, meanwhile Nate uncalled URs.

Zu should win and not by small margin but at least 20-25 points.

aaaand guess what video hit 6 million views

One of the newest comment : "Yuri on Ice in real life!"

And I was like NOPE and started my rant on why you should never say that Yuzuru is Yuuri! I don't know why it make my blood boil, but maybe because of all the incidents and injustice that Yuzuru decides to accept and fight against by aiming to perform better than the ISU and the rest of FS community think he can.

I mean, I can understand if someone start liking FS by first watching Yuuri on Ice, but, to see Yuzuru and his pretty face and think that he can be a real life replacement for Yuuri, while Yuzuru himself is his own character with an even more interesting story line that Yuuri Katsuki just makes me so upset. Yuzuru is not a replacement for Yuuri, even their achievement cannot be compared if you only see it from his gold medal Olympic performances. And further on the road, their physical and mental struggle is so night and day. Not to mention their signature program. 

Okay, not that I have cooled down, I hope this person will start to look more for Yuzuru and understand how one should never compare Yuzuru and Yuuri, because, if you only think that Yuuri is based on Yuzuru just because they are Japanese, have black hair, black eyes, figure skaters, and pretty face, well, there are other Japanese male skaters who fit that criteria too.

1 hour ago, andchipzz said:

One of the newest comment : "Yuri on Ice in real life!"

And I was like NOPE and started my rant on why you should never say that Yuzuru is Yuuri! I don't know why it make my blood boil, but maybe because of all the incidents and injustice that Yuzuru decides to accept and fight against by aiming to perform better than the ISU and the rest of FS community think he can.

I mean, I can understand if someone start liking FS by first watching Yuuri on Ice, but, to see Yuzuru and his pretty face and think that he can be a real life replacement for Yuuri, while Yuzuru himself is his own character with an even more interesting story line that Yuuri Katsuki just makes me so upset. Yuzuru is not a replacement for Yuuri, even their achievement cannot be compared if you only see it from his gold medal Olympic performances. And further on the road, their physical and mental struggle is so night and day. Not to mention their signature program. 

Okay, not that I have cooled down, I hope this person will start to look more for Yuzuru and understand how one should never compare Yuzuru and Yuuri, because, if you only think that Yuuri is based on Yuzuru just because they are Japanese, have black hair, black eyes, figure skaters, and pretty face, well, there are other Japanese male skaters who fit that criteria too.

I think Yuuri was based off of Yuzuru and that's why I stopped watching after the first episode. I agree their personalities are not alike and it really frustrated me that I thought the character was based off him and therefore misrepresented him. I know the author says Yuuri wasn't, but I just felt that way.

That being said, I think the show is really good for getting new fans into skating and if someone looks into who Yuzuru is they'll quickly figure out Yuuri and Yuzuru aren't alike 😄

Yuri is not based on Yuzu. They have very little in common and what they do have in common, so do many other real life skaters. I admit after watching Yuri on Ice and before knowing anything about Yuzu, I thought the same, but it really only takes a few minutes to realize they have nothing in common. Every character in Yuri on Ice borrows traits from real life skaters, but generally they're mixed together, creating brand new characters. So you might recognizes bits and pieces of real life skaters in YOI characters, but that doesn't mean they are based on those skaters. I don't think anyone in Japan would really do that. And with Kenji involved in it and supposedly sharing bits of information, too, it's even less likely they'd make any one character based on real life people.

I do wish YOI fans would do a little research before commenting, because, honestly, I am not embarrassed that I ever even wondered whether Yuri might be based on Yuzu - though in some ways, it's natural to wonder, given that Yuzu is the most popular skater. If anything, I'd say Yuri is based on male Japanese skaters ASIDE from Yuzu, given the struggles he has to be competitive, something that Yuzu never had, and that's a reality that was there, before Takahashi and then Yuzu and Shoma, but mostly Yuzu, took male Japanese figure skating to the very top. It really takes only a little bit of research to learn that.

But I do agree, YOI is a good opening to get into figure skating. As long as you don't take it too seriously... quads are made to look ridiculously easy there. Yuri doing a perfect 4Lz at the end of his program when he'd never landed it before (IIRC) is ridiculous, for example.

(Personally, I think I rather see Yuri Plisetsky - ignoring his rudeness, which is so very not Yuzu - as based on Yuzu. The young prodigy who breaks barriers and sets new standards in the sport. But then Victor has shades of Yuzu, too, and even JJ has shades of Yuzu, but with each of them, there are other things you need to ignore to see the similarities.)