General Yuzuru Chat

Should things get really, really bad as far as judging is concerned, Yuzu has the nuclear option:  He can threaten to retire.  A Yuzu retirement would mean empty seats around the globe.  Many Yuzu fans buy whole-competition tickets (as I understand they are on sale first and then single event tickets follow) in order to insure that they'll be able to see him.  I don't think the ISU would like to face that prospect.  If Yuzu were to retire and vent his frustrations publicly the fallout would be enormous.  It's not simply the empty seats.  It's the empty hotel rooms, the empty airline seats, the empty restaurants, even the unsold Pooh plushies.  Yuzu packs enormous economic clout in the figure-skating economy.  It's the big stick he carries.  There may come the time he decides to use it.

hace 21 minutos , micaelis said:

Should things get really, really bad as far as judging is concerned, Yuzu has the nuclear option:  He can threaten to retire. 

In that case they'd just tell him "go ahead"; they're already indirectly encouraging him to do so. But this sport is his life and he won't r* until he's achieved the lifelong dreams he has left (4A, his ideal Origin, maybe 4F and Beijing..). He's motivated to keep going and it's heartbreaking to think that his only options might be either retiring or being robbed of medals.

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

If the ISU doesn't like the excessive number of UR calls in the scoresheets, there is a very easy solution:

I put this in spoilers because :offtopic2:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, the biggest problem would be how would you measure it that exactly.

5 hours ago, Paskud said:

How Yuzuru has to win artistic program with constant bad posture and weak expression narration around him, even from his own coach?

I'm getting a little sick of this narrative. Brian never said Yuzu has bad posture. What he said is that his PCS have dropped compared to some seasons ago and pointed out that there are things he can still improve - which is far from saying those things are bad, they're just not always as good as they can be - so it's not like there's nothing they can do to not give judges any excuse to drop his PCS. As much as we might all like to think otherwise, Yuzu isn't quite perfect yet, because he's still human. But that also means there's room for improvement and you can be sure he'll be doing his best to do so. Additionally, I think Brian was pointing out that they need to be careful that in their quest of upping the technical ante, they don't lower the bar on things like posture and expression, BECAUSE it's very hard to do both - as most of the field shows - but they can do both and just have to make sure they do. Because most of the field can skate around from jump to jump, but they know that the slightest bit of slacking from Yuzu will mean his scores getting lower - see H&L if nothing else. Just because they don't mention unfair scoring, it doesn't mean they're not aware it's happening and doing their best to counteract it. Again, see H&L. In Helsinki Worlds, they underscored him, but he was so good they couldn't underscore him out of a World Record. I suspect their goal is to always make it so. Whether it'll work or not, given how shameless scoring is now, no idea, but sending the message that he hasn't reached his peak, that there are things he can still get even better at is a good thing.

Additionally, I believe it's been explained that the whole technical program and artistic program split is actually far less dramatic than it seems and that currently the idea is to basically keep it as it is, just give different weight to TES vs PCS in the two programs. Like in the technical program, TES is 60% of the final score and PCS is 40%, while in the artistic program, it's the other way around, TES is 40% and PCS is 60%. Which is actually pretty stupid, still, but nowhere near that dramatic. Of course, the required content might also change and I think there was a mention of both programs being the same length (I forgot if it was 4 minutes or 3 minutes or between). I'm not entirely sure whether this is accurate, but it's what I remember. Either way, it won't happen until after Beijing and maybe hopefully not even then, so there's not much point in discussing it (especially not in this thread...)

The counting rotations for UR ideas would, of course, be ideal, but when the ISU is scared of USBs (:snbleh:), would they really have the courage to entrust such an important decision to scary technology? :emoticonaci2019_2:

8 hours ago, Lunna said:

I get your logic I just feel like ISU has it's own logic and business views (not like mere mortals can understand it), so it's hard to predict what they want in the end. Also as I understand ISU might not care too mush about selling tickets (it's mostly organizers problems), most of the income comes from TV rights anyway.

Advertisement and gambling are where money is made in sport. If ISU events pull a big audience, the ads aired during it can be priced higher by the TV station, and the ISU is able to negotiate more money for those TV rights. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Argh. I feel rung out like a wet dishrag after all the extra drama over World's ticket presales today...

Anyone got some good new Yuzu art?

I'm loving On Ice Perspectives ACI videos, btw. Great shots of everyone including Brian and Tracy. 

Don’t know if this can be considered fan art but it makes me happy so hope it works for you too 🙂

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Every time I see him doing these I get jealous. I wanna skate like that too! 

hmm...someone figure out and write down what he's doing. I wanna try. I mean, it looks like I can most of those things, except with terrible posture, poor edge control, bad lines and jerky transitions between movements :13877886: