Planet Hanyu Staff

General Yuzuru Chat

34 минуты назад, Toni сказал:

For Beijing 2022, they're planning to divide the programs into technical and artistic programs, with the idea of giving NC a far greater score on the technical program and then letting Yuzu win the artistic program only by a little, claiming art is in the eye of the beholder, thus securing a win by NC.

Dividing programs is not 100% decided yet and if it happens it will be after Beijing 2022 (to me dividing programs will be killing the idea of FS).

I agree that anti-ISU banners are not wise. But about following FS after Yuzu - here everybody will decide for themselves. I might or might not follow it depending on the interesting young skaters on the horizon (and the state of the rules), but in any case it will be not as close as now (and surely will not buy tickets for the ridicules prices).

18 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Dividing programs is not 100% decided yet and if it happens it will be after Beijing 2022 (to me dividing programs will be killing the idea of FS).

I agree that anti-ISU banners are not wise. But about following FS after Yuzu - here everybody will decide for themselves. I might or might not follow it depending on the interesting young skaters on the horizon (and the state of the rules), but in any case it will be not as close as now (and surely will not buy tickets for the ridicules prices).

I heard that the proponents of this idea are hoping to implement the technical/artistic split before 2022, though they're not sure when or even IF it will happen. I think fans are almost universally against it, so hopefully they will shelve that idea.

I think I'll be done with figure skating if/when they divide it into technical and artistic portions. Too much like pro competitions of the past and lots of room to play around with scores etc..

I find myself less interested in skating right now, particularly the ladies portion. Of course we have to wait and see how it plays out on the GP circuit, but the trend we've seen so far this season is just disappointing to me. Jumps aren't the only thing. I don't think we've ever seen such a difference in skating skills and jumping prowess before, so this is the difficult part for me...I mean, Midori had her huge jumps, but she had great skating skills, amazing footwork, transitions and spins as well...

1 hour ago, Toni said:

I heard that the proponents of this idea are hoping to implement the technical/artistic split before 2022, though they're not sure when or even IF it will happen. I think fans are almost universally against it, so hopefully they will shelve that idea.

No. If the ISU Congress votes for the change next summer then it'll be implemented after the Beijing Olympics, not before that. In the last interview with him about the changes, Lakernik seemed to be suspiciously positive that the members will vote for it.

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

No. If the ISU Congress votes for the change next summer then it'll be implemented after the Beijing Olympics, not before that. In the last interview with him about the changes, Lakernik seemed to be suspiciously positive that the members will vote for it.

Well here's hoping they smarten up before then, and that he's wrong. Because separating technical and artistic aspects into different programs is not going to solve the problem of bad technical calls or PCS being basically a made-up score. And unless they go for an approach similar to ice dance, where one program is rigidly defined in content (like the RD) and one program is open to skater's choice (like FD), separating the programs will render skating unwatchable, so bye-bye TV revenues. 

Of all the scuttlebutt I've read about the ISU's decisions, this rumour is the one that upsets me the most. Why not just bring compulsory figures back, instead? At least they can be judged objectively from the very start. 

Hace 3 horas, Lunna said:

Dividing programs is not 100% decided yet and if it happens it will be after Beijing 2022

If it does happen, I surely hope it takes place after Yuzuru decides to retire. I'd hate to see him having to adapt to this clownery.

5 hours ago, Toni said:

Yes, I hope so too.

Proponents can start their own sport if they want it so much, without destroying figure skating.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I'm done with competitive figure skating when Yuzu retires. I'll follow Yuzu whatever he does.

There is one thing though... Yuzuru as a coach.

And I haven't been able to figure out what would I do in such case. I mean, sure, ISU is going nuts right now and figure skating is changing into figure judging, but I am afraid, if Yuzu becomes a coach, I won't be able to not watch his little students.

37 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

There is one thing though... Yuzuru as a coach.

And I haven't been able to figure out what would I do in such case. I mean, sure, ISU is going nuts right now and figure skating is changing into figure judging, but I am afraid, if Yuzu becomes a coach, I won't be able to not watch his little students.

As I said, I’ll follow Yuzu whatever he does.

I’ll follow his career as a coach, if he decides to do that, but I won’t be following the mainstream senior men’s competitions unless Yuzu is involved in a coaching capacity. In that case, I’ll be busy sending negative vibes to all of the skaters competing against Yuzu’s students.

I don’t think he will be coaching anytime soon, if ever. If he stays healthy, he still has the better part of three seasons ahead of him to try to do everything he wants to accomplish as a competitor.

After he stops competing, he will likely want to continue skating in ice shows. Even if he stops competing, he will probably remain very popular and will be involved in CMs. Maybe he might do some modeling or acting (I hope!). He will probably finish his university degree at Waseda. He is so multitalented and has so much charisma and the “It Factor” so that the possibilities are endless.

I'm not fully convinced Yuzu will work as a coach - though it's probably my wishful thinking more than anything else, that he'll do choreo instead. But I, too, will probably follow whatever he chooses to do next, but nothing much beyond that.

And, in fact, figure skating is so depressing right now that I think I will stop paying attention to anything not Yuzu until Skate Canada - maybe just take a peek at Javi's programs at JO, but stay well away from the scores. As such, and because I don't think I'm the only one who wants to be able to avoid all that negative stuff, I'd like to ask everyone, if possible, to take the ISU and scoring talks to the General Skating Chat, maybe, so we can keep this an oasis of Yuzu things. I know I was one of those helping with the OT-ness, so I'm not blaming anyone or anything, but my anxiety is seriously working up and FS talk is not helping, so I want to stay away from that, but I also want to be able to come here and enjoy Yuzu talk, still! Thank you! :snpeace:

9 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I guess you heard it from the source? I only heard it from people talking about it, which is often like playing that game "telephone." Anyway, I sure hope they NEVER implement it.

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

As I said, I’ll follow Yuzu whatever he does.

I’ll follow his career as a coach, if he decides to do that, but I won’t be following the mainstream senior men’s competitions unless Yuzu is involved in a coaching capacity. In that case, I’ll be busy sending negative vibes to all of the skaters competing against Yuzu’s students.

I don’t think he will be coaching anytime soon, if ever. If he stays healthy, he still has the better part of three seasons ahead of him to try to do everything he wants to accomplish as a competitor.

After he stops competing, he will likely want to continue skating in ice shows. Even if he stops competing, he will probably remain very popular and will be involved in CMs. Maybe he might do some modeling or acting (I hope!). He will probably finish his university degree at Waseda. He is so multitalented and has so much charisma and the “It Factor” so that the possibilities are endless.

But what if he infiltrates the ISU and fixes it from within? I wouldn't put it past him.

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

And, in fact, figure skating is so depressing right now that I think I will stop paying attention to anything not Yuzu until Skate Canada 

I haven't been able to watch the last two JGP and the latest Challenger. For being so obsessed with broadcast, ISU is sure doing their damnest to turn off the viewers....  [/ end complaining]