General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Somehow, I hope for a proper fanyu riot one day... Just once... buying the tickets but not going in the arena, staying outside to great the arriving  skaters but leave all the seats empty... 

I know it would be sad for the skaters, but maybe, just maybe that could have at least a tiny medial impact... :hachimaki:

We'd probably just get ridiculed and dismissed as being hysterical fan girls rather than sports fans with legitimate scoring concerns.

35 minutes ago, Bilge said:

Okay let alone the number of comments, the 100s of likes on comments?! what kind of solidarity is that XD

Well, now I feel like a silly teen voting for her idol in an online poll because I went and gave a like to all Yuzu posts just so that they'd all be on top for ISU to see. And I don't even use twitter normally.:facepalm:

8 minutes ago, wildstrawberry said:

they won't care.especially if they get their money

5 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

We'd probably just get ridiculed and dismissed as being hysterical fan girls rather than sports fans with legitimate scoring concerns.

Yes, I know. It's just a dream of better times for figure skating, that is giving me funny ideas, that would probably work only within the "anime realm".  :yznotimpressed:

1 minute ago, makebelieveup said:

and over and over the defense are always fanyus are crazy...nathan's bv are higher...yale...and nothing about the rulebook...because reasons

And the claims that Nathan's programs were "perfect" really illustrate the lack of understanding of how the scoring system is supposed to work. The people who think that landing all of the jumps means a performance was 100% perfect remind me of the casual gymnastics fans back in the day who thought that if a gymnast stuck the landing on a vault it should automatically be a perfect 10, with no grasp of things like start values or any of the other things besides landings that judges deduct for. 

Like I'm fine if someone loses because they popped a jump vs someone who didn't. I can understand the overall placement. I preferred Yuzu's skates but what happened, happened.

Its the finer points of the judging that are the issue. Like say any random skater does any random element. They receive a near perfect GOE. That specific element should look darn near textbook perfect to get that score. You should be able to take a clip of that element and show it to new skaters and say, "This is the epitome of this element. This is how this element should be performed."  That element should be able to earn the same score regardless of whether its a national or international competition. It should get the same score regardless of who else is in the competition. Or where we are in the skating season. Or how long a skater has been at senior level. There shouldn't be any finessing of the scores to give the "correct" or expected placements. The score for that element should be consistent no matter what. But it doesn't work that way in FS. And that's the real problem.

I hate to play devil's advocate here but it isn't fair at all to dismiss Nathan's skating completely.  I'm sure that Yuzuru considers him a worthy contender.   He reached near the top for a reason, it wasn't just completely due to atrocious judging, he has qualities despite that.  His running edge on his landings improved a bit since the last time I saw him, they still aren't ideal but they don't end on a complete stop anymore.  His FS aren't the most complete ones out there but his SPs are usually much better choreographically in my opinion.  He isn't completely devoid of skating skills, has good posture, consistency.  I think he actually improved a lot these past few seasons.  Just compare his Michael Jackson program in US Nationals 2016  (and ignore the commentary, thanks lol)  to his 2019 Worlds SP, and the improvement in evident is terms of commitment to the program and engagement. His Michael Jackson program was devoid of personality in my opinion, it felt like he was going through the motions to complete the choreography with no sense of purpose at all and a blank face.   And he doesn't come across as the guy that will completely rest while seeing his scores, he seems driven to improve and it shows. And he's also pretty young, at 19 a male skater isn't at the top of  their game artistically, Yuzuru wasn't either.  Despite the success of PW, Yuzuru improved quite a bit in this aspect, in my opinion LGC was a much better performed program by the GPF 2016 even if the scores didn't reflect that.  Although I think that Yuzuru did have at a younger age  better musicality and commitment to his programs, not to mention charisma.    My problem with Nathan has always been the lack of emotional conection that he has with his programs, even if maybe he has it deep down, it usually doesn't come across to me.     Or maybe his skating just isn't my cup of tea after all, since his skating does ressonate to his fans.  To each their own, I guess.   

31 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

lol here you go

That last one though??😂 

"Yuzuru Hanyu has been off of competitive ice for FOUR months ...and can't snag the gold every competition."

I take it someone only started watching figure skating after the Olympics cause I'll be damned if that isn't exactly what the boy did at PC!

:winky::dancingpooh: :dancingpooh::dancingpooh:

Yeah let's be respectful to Nathan and not call him names or anything. We will edit anything not calling skaters by their real names or neutral nicknames. 

Also, personally I'd prefer if we kept quoting the Yuzu antis to a minimum. It's obviously different if we post about scoring discourse tagging ISU on twitter. But I think there are many people here who prefer to not see or read antis, and responding to the antis on PH is not super productive either. Thanks :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

8 minutes ago, Lambari said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here but it isn't fair at all to dismiss Nathan's skating completely.  I'm sure that Yuzuru considers him a worthy contender.  

My problem with Nathan has always been the lack of emotional connection that he has with his programs, even if maybe he has it deep down, it usually doesn't come across to me.   

I have no problem with Nathan himself. As you say he's still just a young kid really and still coming into his own as an artist. But he has improved, that's true.

I just find his score inflations to be symptomatic of problems across the sport. How are younger skaters supposed to improve if the judging makes no sense? How do you know what aim for if the judges just make it up as they go along?

As to emotional connection to the music, I feel the same way about Boyang. he just wasn't connected to anything. And I really do like him. I feel like he's fallen by the way side because he hasn't found the proper vehicle yet. Its why I was so hopeful for him to move to TCC. I thought maybe they could help him with that. I thought if he found music he could truly relate to and new choreographers maybe he could return to form. But sadly that hasn't happened yet.