General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Eh, I mean Raf is clearly a good coach in many respects, but there have been issues with him making insensitive comments about skaters' weights in the past, and now there are questions about the culture of his rink because of his handling of the Eunsoo Lim/Mariah Bell issue. So it's not just him being a grump, there's things he could probably stand to improve on, to say the least. 

I wonder what kind of coach Yuzu would be. Probably the strict and difficult to please kind, but in a non-grumpy way :xD:

The thing is with clubs like TCC is there's a lot of people involved. You have Brian but also according to the website "Over 20 professional coaches and consultants." You have to be a real team player as well as  a strong leader in order to keep everything running smoothly.

Someone may be a great coach in terms of technical skills but be really lousy at say interpersonal communication. There's a lot of factors involved.

TCC is one of a kind.

21 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Perhaps that’s what Mr Hamilton needs - a new fashion for hyper masculine high heels- trouble is I think you have to be an absolute monarch to get people to prop you up to that extent.  He always comes across as a fussy opinionated little dinosaur to me - the kind that really worries about his own image and is really offensive as people of that generation can often be if they never engage with feminist women, gay people, mildly left wing opinions etc etc.  There are loads of blokes like that in my extended family- old codgers who think De Valera had the right idea and on this side of the Irish Sea adherents of Mrs T.:sigh:

And on the flip side in the US skating world, you have Dick Button, who is all 'I love Yuzu! I'm happy to have my records broken by a great athlete and person like Yuzu! Yes, please send a Japanese TV crew to my house so I can talk about Yuzu for an hour', etc. 

21 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Yeah his blue bell-bottomed onesie look is usually what comes up in terms of his amateur career.

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/news-photo/winter-olympics-can-brian-orser-usa-scott-hamilton-and-cze-news-photo/81341474

Ahh, baby Orser.

Spoiler

I find a certain level of irony in the fact that in this photo, Brian looks the most 'manly' to me - even in purple satin with a jeweled collar. Go figure. :shrug:

22 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Now I've falling down the rabbit hole of Orser in the 80s

Ahh sweetie what are you wearing. And skating to CATS if I'm not mistaken.

ahah but you see Brian looks good,maybe because like Yuzu he has the right body figure for something like this....anyhow i see so much of him in Javi's skating it's amazing.

1 hour ago, Lambari said:

This discussion of femininity/masculinity in regards to Yuzuru's skating reminded me of this episode about costumes from a FS podcast.  I think they were spot on in this issue. They start talking about Yuzuru specifically at 37:00,  but they actually mention him more times during the episode. I think all of it it worth listening. There's english transcription if you click on the subtitles button. 

Sorry it was already shared but the debate made me remember this.  

I like different styles of costumes. It can get very samey otherwise. Especially when some just show up in plain button down shirts. Costumes can really add to the character of program whereas others just looked like they're in regular street clothes. It seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Interesting that people compare Shoma and Yuzu costumes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read that they're designed by the same person?

As far as Weir, my complaint would be that some of his costumes just aren't body flattering, which is odd considering he fancies himself as a designer. But meh, if it makes him happy. You do you, Johnny.

I was forced to watch a lot of snooker before Xmas - a LOT, and was shocked to find them all in black and covered in sponsors logos - not half as attractive as all those fancy Wild West style waistcoats they wore last time I looked at it about 20 years ago.   I just hope all these dress down Friday costumes aren’t the thin end of the wedge.....

Just now, Sombreuil said:

I was forced to watch a lot of snooker before Xmas - a LOT, and was shocked to find them all in black and covered in sponsors logos - not half as attractive as all those fancy Wild West style waistcoats they wore last time I looked at it about 20 years ago.   I just hope all these dress down Friday costumes aren’t the thin end of the wedge.....

And I remember watching ladies playing snooker in evening gowns. One was so uncomfortable for one contestant that she had trouble keeping it on lol 

36 minutes ago, mercedes said:

ahah but you see Brian looks good,maybe because like Yuzu he has the right body figure for something like this....anyhow i see so much of him in Javi's skating it's amazing.

Yes the way Javi and Brian kinda set their hands going into some of their jumps is very similar. 

It helps that Javi used to have longer curls like Brian too.

13 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

I like different styles of costumes. It can get very samey otherwise. Especially when some just show up in plain button down shirts. Costumes can really add to the character of program whereas others just looked like they're in regular street clothes. It seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Interesting that people compare Shoma and Yuzu costumes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read that they're designed by the same person?

As far as Weir, my complaint would be that some of his costumes just aren't body flattering, which is odd considering he fancies himself as a designer. But meh, if it makes him happy. You do you, Johnny.

Even in his street clothes though, Johnny likes exaggerated proportions. As you say, it's a choice. 

You know, I find it interesting how Shoma always has a multitude of costumes but Yuzu sticks to the same two for the full season. Shoma's definitely a fashion kid. His choices aren't necessarily bold, but they're varied and interesting. 

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

I'm loving the comments in this tweet

and here is a super thought provoking question for yall

Okay let alone the number of comments, the 100s of likes on comments?! what kind of solidarity is that XD