General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

“In fact his skating skills are terrific, as if he was born in skates.”

Good to know that Yuzu's art is appreciated all over the world. :softYuzu:

Mayhaps the president of Belarus was right when he said his country should host Worlds FS Championship,there seem to be fs knowledgeable ppl with taste (a species ISU deeply dislikes and wants it gone) in their country and they deserve to see Yuzuru live.

1 hour ago, Danibellerika said:

They said nice things about him actually.  Before Yuzu skated Terry said we're looking at someone considered by many to be the greatest of all time.  I'll record it with my phone and post it.  On the flip side I haven't heard CBC's thoughts, ROFL. 

CBC had nice things to say about him as well, but Kurt (as much as I like his commentary) says things that rub me the wrong way sometimes. He'll throw in comments that make it seem like Nathan is a complete packaged skater, how a relaxed upper body justifies a lot of GOE on Nathan's jumps, how Nathan is too humble to say he is happy to win against his rival when he is at his best (although partially true, Yuzuru wasn't really at his best soooo???) I'm kinda just scared to hear what NBC said about Nathan and Yuzuru in comparison lol 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1462243907625 (I think this link only works if you're in Canada) 

4 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

CBC had nice things to say about him as well, but Kurt (as much as I like his commentary) says things that rub me the wrong way sometimes. He'll throw in comments that make it seem like Nathan is a complete packaged skater, how a relaxed upper body justifies a lot of GOE on Nathan's jumps, how Nathan is too humble to say he is happy to win against his rival when he is at his best (although partially true, Yuzuru wasn't really at his best soooo???) I'm kinda just scared to hear what NBC said about Nathan and Yuzuru in comparison lol 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1462243907625 (I think this link only works if you're in Canada) 

Thanks! I'll catch it later.  

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

She didn't like Yuzu or his fans, not because of his skating,  but because she didn't like the change they represent for her way of experiencing the sport. Or rather, she didn't like that he was A change, any change....and a light bulb went off for me. You see, there's a huge contigent of FS people - fans, officials, whatever - who are actually very stick-in-the-mud types. They remind me of the people who think classical ballet is the only kind of ballet, that everything after Debussy is a travesty of music. They LIKE FS always being the same. Of course they want to see excellence, but only within the narrowly defined bounds that they are used to thinking of as figure skating. They want to sit peacefully in the stands at competitions, tucked under a blanket with their thermos of coffee, and clap politely, and generally behave as if it was opera they were going to see.

I can see exactly where you're coming from and I think by pointing to myself I can come up with an analysis of the situation here.  I'm very much into classical music.  This is going all the way back to when I was entering puberty and my tastes began to develop.  Initially all my interest in was orchestral music but as more resources became available I began educating myself and getting knowledge of the initial orchestral (and essentially Beethoven and later orchestra) repertoire.  I discovered opera and went into it in a big way, though initially Wagnerian opera.  Over the decades I extended my range of styles and genres but in the last ten years or so I've ceased exploring.  I've come to recognize my limitations in terms of likes and dislikes.  I can say there are few modes of classical music I truly dislike - twelve-tone, experimental, and aleatoric are the prime examples.  Those are types of music I maintain are not really music and the fact that interest in them is waning indicates the general classical public is of the same opinion.  I feel justified in my dislike of them. 

By and large chamber music, art song, orchestral music before Beethoven, baroque opera seria, the list can go on and on - those are types of classical music that don't interest me.  I don't, however, claim they are not substantial in themselves.  In other words, I admit they are great types of music but just not to my taste.  In so doing I recognize not the limitations of those musical types but rather recognize the limitations of my particular tastes.  The type of skating fan being discussed here is a type that dismisses Yuzu's achievement by claiming his is not true skating.  The more appropriate response would be to say that they just don't find Yuzu's skating to their taste.  The skating fan who says that is a true fan of the sport.  The fan who dismisses Yuzu is one who would be still stuck back in the days when Dick Button was tearing up the ice.  Dick Button himself has gone beyond his own accomplishments and respects and admires Yuzu for his accomplishments.  In summary I would say that the difference between those ultra-conservative fans and the true fans of figure skating is that the one faction actively dislikes and dismisses what Yuzu does while the true fans respect Yuzu's accomplishments but admit he's not quite to their taste.

7 hours ago, Bilge said:

I've only saw a photo of them together but this actually happened huh XD

6 hours ago, shanshani said:

I would forgive Yuzu for doing a Sex Bomb tribute if he ditched the muscle suit and showed off his actual muscles instead. Otherwise, :8:

cursed image

Spoiler

DDJq6gAXoAETAdz.jpg:large (x)

2 hours ago, yuzupon said:

Hide contents

That's interesting, cz my experience at The Hague Challenge Cup* was almost the opposite. I sat down beside a much older gentleman (who came to the venue completely prepared with snacks, blanket, what-have-you, mistook me for a Japanese, which... fine, I am an Asian with sorta east Asian features, so ok.). We started talking about everything really, and it gets to the point of how to differentiate jumps, steps, spins, etc. He was very appreciative that I could tell what jumps which skaters did. He said after years and years of watching, he could count the rotations, but in recognising types, he can only be sure of the axels. He recognised the Japanese skaters' superiority in that competition, and praised their significant presence as a skating powerhouse of modern day skating. He said the skating landscape has changed a lot since the day he was an athlete himself (did speed skating, tho, not figure skating), which was some 40+ years ago. But he is happy that it seems to be on its way of reaching global recognition and that it now includes more than just the west. He was amazed at and happy with the younger crowd and the Japanese crowd who came to watch, even if he has to find a better way to store his gigantic bag (filled with aforementioned snacks and warm things lol).

My point is, it is totally possible to be an 'old' fan of this sport, see it changed, and be happy about it, even if it now inconveniences you to enjoy it. It's a choice, and some people choose wrong.

*Much smaller comps, I know... so maybe that's a factor too.

Under spoiler, cz.. it's rather OT...?

Spoiler

Not to over-generalize, but you were in Holland after all. The Dutch as a whole tend to be all for progress, and if it happens on skates so much the better. ( Full disclosure - I'm half-Dutch so I have some personal experience with this.) 

More relevantly, there are both kinds of skating fans, but it seems like the conservative ones are the ones who end up running things at skating federations. 

12 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I know we moved on but I can't get Raf's description of the Pooh rain out of my head. Because I wonder, do people really think we do this to unsettle his competitors? When we know how he feels about good sportsmanship? We rain Poohs on him because we love him. It's about him, not anybody else. For many of us, if we love this sport, it's because he showed us what this sport could be. We love the sport despite all the problems with it because Yuzu showed us what it ought to be. We shower our adoration on him because of him. It's not strategy. It's sincere. It's as if so many people resent him for having shown exactly how high everybody should aim. 

Yeah, I think the main reason for the Pooh shower is that fans want just want Yuzu to see, literally, with his eyes, that they love him.  Pooh, which is his symbol, is the easiest,  most visual way to accomplish that. Absolutely nothing to do with other athletes. 

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I can see exactly where you're coming from and I think by pointing to myself I can come up with an analysis of the situation here.  I'm very much into classical music.  This is going all the way back to when I was entering puberty and my tastes began to develop.  Initially all my interest in was orchestral music but as more resources became available I began educating myself and getting knowledge of the initial orchestral (and essentially Beethoven and later orchestra) repertoire.  I discovered opera and went into it in a big way, though initially Wagnerian opera.  Over the decades I extended my range of styles and genres but in the last ten years or so I've ceased exploring.  I've come to recognize my limitations in terms of likes and dislikes.  I can say there are few modes of classical music I truly dislike - twelve-tone, experimental, and aleatoric are the prime examples.  Those are types of music I maintain are not really music and the fact that interest in them is waning indicates the general classical public is of the same opinion.  I feel justified in my dislike of them. 

By and large chamber music, art song, orchestral music before Beethoven, baroque opera seria, the list can go on and on - those are types of classical music that don't interest me.  I don't, however, claim they are not substantial in themselves.  In other words, I admit they are great types of music but just not to my taste.  In so doing I recognize not the limitations of those musical types but rather recognize the limitations of my particular tastes.  The type of skating fan being discussed here is a type that dismisses Yuzu's achievement by claiming his is not true skating.  The more appropriate response would be to say that they just don't find Yuzu's skating to their taste.  The skating fan who says that is a true fan of the sport.  The fan who dismisses Yuzu is one who would be still stuck back in the days when Dick Button was tearing up the ice.  Dick Button himself has gone beyond his own accomplishments and respects and admires Yuzu for his accomplishments.  In summary I would say that the difference between those ultra-conservative fans and the true fans of figure skating is that the one faction actively dislikes and dismisses what Yuzu does while the true fans respect Yuzu's accomplishments but admit he's not quite to their taste.

Exactly so. 

1 hour ago, LourdesMoon said:

I just listened to this and I didn't think they really said very much about Yuzu at all, although nothing negative either. Oh well. 

10 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Yeah, I think the main reason for the Pooh shower is that fans want just want Yuzu to see, literally, with his eyes, that they live him.  Pooh, which is his symbol, is the easiest,  most visual way to accomplish that. Absolutely nothing to do with other athletes. 

And Yuzu loves and appreciates it. 

46 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

cursed image

Hide contents

DDJq6gAXoAETAdz.jpg:large (x)

That photo always throws me for a loop, because although it's logical that Yuzu has those kind of leg muscles, they're not so obvious under his skating pants so you forget they must be there.