General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, raebia said:

but is it me ore IS Yuzuru jumping more elegantly? And I am not talking about technical merits here, but about aestetics — Yuzurus jumps, they take my breath away, Nathans dont. 

Is it the costume? The height? It doesnt matter to me, but it is my deeply felt conviction, speaking as a laywoman in regards to figure skating:

I simply love Yuzuru jumping😊😊😊😊😊😊😊.

Yuzu's jumps are ethereal.

Ethereal

Extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Of or relating to the regions beyond the earth.

CELESTIAL, HEAVENLY.

UNWORLDLY, SPIRITUAL.

Marked by unusual delicacy or refinement.

Suggesting the heavens or heaven.

Cambridge Dictionary:

Light and delicate, especially in an unnatural way.

Extremely light and delicate, as if not of this world.

Hace 13 horas, sophiang said:

it is the most ideal one

but since 2014...he didnt get lower than silver in Worlds, what as athlete is that?!

Imagine how can you keep your competitive top form in the a long period.....who can do this?! :notamused:

yeah............i will accept he is alien........

2012 BROZE

2013 4th

---------------------

2014 GOLD

2015 SILVER

2016 SILVER

2017 GOLD

2018 WD

2019 SILVER

Well by logic we know what color will be in 2020 :graucho:

OMG this account really have incredible fanart

I know we moved on but I can't get Raf's description of the Pooh rain out of my head. Because I wonder, do people really think we do this to unsettle his competitors? When we know how he feels about good sportsmanship? We rain Poohs on him because we love him. It's about him, not anybody else. For many of us, if we love this sport, it's because he showed us what this sport could be. We love the sport despite all the problems with it because Yuzu showed us what it ought to be. We shower our adoration on him because of him. It's not strategy. It's sincere. It's as if so many people resent him for having shown exactly how high everybody should aim. 

If ISU stopped being dinosaurs and invested in tech support for judges, the one person who would not be negatively impacted is Yuzu. Maybe that's another reason why so many people seem to resent him. Figure skating is their expertise, things are supposed to be how they say they are. And here comes this beautiful alien who does what he does with it. I can understand why they resent him. They lost so much control over the sport because of him.

22 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I know we moved on but I can't get Raf's description of the Pooh rain out of my head. Because I wonder, do people really think we do this to unsettle his competitors? When we know how he feels about good sportsmanship? We rain Poohs on him because we love him. It's about him, not anybody else. For many of us, if we love this sport, it's because he showed us what this sport could be. We love the sport despite all the problems with it because Yuzu showed us what it ought to be. We shower our adoration on him because of him. It's not strategy. It's sincere. It's as if so many people resent him for having shown exactly how high everybody should aim. 

If ISU stopped being dinosaurs and invested in tech support for judges, the one person who would not be negatively impacted is Yuzu. Maybe that's another reason why so many people seem to resent him. Figure skating is their expertise, things are supposed to be how they say they are. And here comes this beautiful alien who does what he does with it. I can understand why they resent him. They lost so much control over the sport because of him.

You know, at SCI last fall I had a very illuminating conversation with a much older lady who'd been following figure skating for a very long time. When I mentioned that I was a Hanyu fan, she sniffed and made it clear that she wasn't impressed. She literally had this expression on her face like "you seemed like such a sensible person, and then you had to go and say that."  Not being entirely dense, I sensed her disapproval and said, "I see you're not a fan." She didn't want to come out and say directly what it was she didn't like about him, just that she didn't, and that she had no time for fanyus. But she was a Medvedeva fan, and so she and I kept on talking, and eventually one thing became clear:

She didn't like Yuzu or his fans, not because of his skating,  but because she didn't like the change they represent for her way of experiencing the sport. Or rather, she didn't like that he was A change, any change....and a light bulb went off for me. You see, there's a huge contigent of FS people - fans, officials, whatever - who are actually very stick-in-the-mud types. They remind me of the people who think classical ballet is the only kind of ballet, that everything after Debussy is a travesty of music. They LIKE FS always being the same. Of course they want to see excellence, but only within the narrowly defined bounds that they are used to thinking of as figure skating. They want to sit peacefully in the stands at competitions, tucked under a blanket with their thermos of coffee, and clap politely, and generally behave as if it was opera they were going to see.

And Yuzu and the fanyus have taken their cozy little world and smashed it upside down. So their resentment is understandable. They thought they had a nice sedate hobby and now look what they get! 

You could almost feel sorry for them, except for the fact that they're so wrong...

19 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I know we moved on but I can't get Raf's description of the Pooh rain out of my head. Because I wonder, do people really think we do this to unsettle his competitors?

Very little of what Raf says makes sense from the perspective of good PR strategy. Why would you make a comment that implies that your star skater is so mentally weak that he would be unsettled and thrown off his game by Winnie the Pooh? :dancingpooh:  

10 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, at SCI last fall I had a very illuminating conversation with a much older lady who'd been following figure skating for a very long time. When I mentioned that I was a Hanyu fan, she sniffed and made it clear that she wasn't impressed. She literally had this expression on her face like "you seemed like such a sensible person, and then you had to go and say that."  Not being entirely dense, I sensed her disapproval and said, "I see you're not a fan." She didn't want to come out and say directly what it was she didn't like about him, just that she didn't, and that she had no time for fanyus. But she was a Medvedeva fan, and so she and I kept on talking, and eventually one thing became clear:

She didn't like Yuzu or his fans, not because of his skating,  but because she didn't like the change they represent for her way of experiencing the sport. Or rather, she didn't like that he was A change, any change....and a light bulb went off for me. You see, there's a huge contigent of FS people - fans, officials, whatever - who are actually very stick-in-the-mud types. They remind me of the people who think classical ballet is the only kind of ballet, that everything after Debussy is a travesty of music. They LIKE FS always being the same. Of course they want to see excellence, but only within the narrowly defined bounds that they are used to thinking of as figure skating. They want to sit peacefully in the stands at competitions, tucked under a blanket with their thermos of coffee, and clap politely, and generally behave as if it was opera they were going to see.

And Yuzu and the fanyus have taken their cozy little world and smashed it upside down. So their resentment is understandable. They thought they had a nice sedate hobby and now look what they get! 

You could almost feel sorry for them, except for the fact that they're so wrong...

This is the impression I get, too. That's why I actively went looking for what flaws Yuzu's skating has, and found shit like 'he doesn't point his toes enough' and 'he doesn't look up' and a lot of things that were obviously lies about his technical skills, because I have eyes and can watch videos at .25 speed on YouTube and see what the truth is. They grasp for 'logical' reasons to dislike him because admitting the real reasons doesn't reflect very well on them. I understand that there are people who just don't like the way he moves, and that is obviously fine, but then they also have this superior air about themselves of being the ones who appreciate the correct kind of skating the correct way. 

I suppose change is difficult for some people. I can almost sympathise, too, except then I remember how supercilious they are towards the rest of us...

Honestly sometimes they make me want to really go full-fanyu-featherhead on them just to aggravate them, but that would reflect badly on Yuzu and his fans.

9 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Very little of what Raf says makes sense from the perspective of good PR strategy. Why would you make a comment that implies that your star skater is so mentally weak that he would be unsettled and thrown off his game by Winnie the Pooh? :dancingpooh:  

And openly admit that his skater has no transitions and his free skate is boring :lol: 

I mean now when Yuzuru-antis and US hype machine start on their usual, we can literally quote the coach in response. 

8分鐘前, rockstaryuzu說:

At least Skate Canada chose the better costume. No offense to those who like it, but I hate that Zigeunerweisen outfit. 

Why china choose a old photo..............there are plenty of good yuzu photo they can choose.............:1:

9 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

being the ones who appreciate the correct kind of skating the correct way. 

It's not entirely relevant but you remind me of something I saw in one of Roman Sadovsky's Youtube vids. He's doing viewer Q&A while in a friend's car and someone asks about his sexuality (which is a rude question at any time). Before Roman could answer, his friend pipes up with "They all think that if you don't skate like a block of wood, you must be gay", which to me is a great way of highlighting the exact same attitude that those people have, who think there's a correct kind of skating that has be appreciated a correct way.  

Reality is, the sport can't expect to survive on traditionalism, and at least the athletes and the coaches have enough good sense to realize it, even if the spectators and the ISU don't. 

23 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think this is very accurate. It's like those fans that many of us have observed on other forums or wherever who have much more in depth and passionate discussions about skaters and competitions from decades ago than they do about anything that's happening currently. Not that there's anything wrong with discussing those things, but there's often a vibe that many of these people wish that everything about skating was still exactly the way it was back then. And then of course there's also the contingent of people who just don't want to accept the fact that the GOAT of the sport is Japanese.