General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, KatjaThera said:
10 hours ago, Xen said:

I REALLY really doubt that is the case at this point. His English just doesn't seem to be up to that level just yet. But maybe he should visit it, it could be good motivation to improve his English, so he can join in XD I also doubt you'd be that opposed, but I think it'd actually be fun... I wonder how fired up he'd be lol

I think his English is better than most people think it might be.  I'm remembering back at Sochi when he was off the ice and wondering where he was in the standings.  He asked someone, "I'm first?"  There was no immediate reply.  Then he asked again, "I'm first?" and he was told he was, which meant he had won the gold.  His immediate response was to exclaim "Omigod! Omigod!"  It's significant that he maintained English when he was so surprised and that it was not formal English but an informal exclamation.  I think he's comfortable speaking English in informal situations.  He freezes up, however, in media situations where so much is riding on everything he says.  Lacking confidence in such situations he prefers to use Japanese and have a translator.  We should also remember then that that was over four years ago.  His English must have improved even more since then.  I'll repeat, I think he uses English in his everyday life but put him in front of cameras and he wants to make sure everything he says is perfect, thus the Japanese.  He wants his media events to be as perfect as his skating.

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I think his English is better than most people think it might be.  I'm remembering back at Sochi when he was off the ice and wondering where he was in the standings.  He asked someone, "I'm first?"  There was no immediate reply.  Then he asked again, "I'm first?" and he was told he was, which meant he had won the gold.  His immediate response was to exclaim "Omigod! Omigod!"  It's significant that he maintained English when he was so surprised and that it was not formal English but an informal exclamation.  I think he's comfortable speaking English in informal situations.  He freezes up, however, in media situations where so much is riding on everything he says.  Lacking confidence in such situations he prefers to use Japanese and have a translator.  We should also remember then that that was over four years ago.  His English must have improved even more since then.  I'll repeat, I think he uses English in his everyday life but put him in front of cameras and he wants to make sure everything he says is perfect, thus the Japanese.  He wants his media events to be as perfect as his skating.

More specifically, I'd say that he doesn't care about grammar when he speaks english with Brian or everyone else at TCC or everyday life - when you don't study a language much but still have to practice it, you usually develop your own personal language-model, which is not necessarily grammatically correct, but it works to make people understand you... so I think Yuzuru is able to make everyone understand him in English. But he is self conscious about his grammar and his (probably a little poor) vocabulary, which is understandable, so that's why he tries hard and thinks a lot about his words during English interviews and such. He has to change register. 

I think studying English is definitely one of the things he will be doing regularily once he becomes pro...

My family been in the US over 30 years and my parents still have trouble speaking English. They understand it but putting together sentences especially in front of a lot of ppl they tend to forget some words. 

I have friends who came to the US for a few years and have a hard time with speaking English even if they know how to write and read it.

Every time the discussion of the way he speaks English feels weird to me. I guess I’m just used to it with my family and friends that been here for years and have a hard time speaking it. It’s just not a big deal to me.  

I'm not going to try and assume why Yuzu's spoken English in interviews isn't great (although I must say he's objectively improved a lot from Sochi to PC) or how much English he uses in his daily life. I draw the line at speculations being phrased as certainties. 

But in the practice footage from PC, it was heartening to see that he seemed to be speaking more to the TCC team, and of course, the coaches have never dumbed down their English for him. From the bts footage from his ice show, we know he's still not the smoothest with his English, but that he tries regardless to get what he wants to say across. (That group hug scene was precious!) He still seems most comfortable with Japanese, but his English is definitely improving! 

14 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

I'm not going to try and assume why Yuzu's spoken English in interviews isn't great (although I must say he's objectively improved a lot from Sochi to PC) or how much English he uses in his daily life. I draw the line at speculations being phrased as certainties. 

But in the practice footage from PC, it was heartening to see that he seemed to be speaking more to the TCC team, and of course, the coaches have never dumbed down their English for him. From the bts footage from his ice show, we know he's still not the smoothest with his English, but that he tries regardless to get what he wants to say across. (That group hug scene was precious!) He still seems most comfortable with Japanese, but his English is definitely improving! 

It would help if he watched American TV Shows or read English books alot, but I think he is only into Japanese TV Shows lol. 

There was an interview he gave (in 2015 or 2016, maybe?) to a Japanese interviewer (my memory is suggesting it was for Kenji's Room, but I"m not sure) where the interviewer asks him, in English, "How's your English?" and Yuzu replies in Japanese that it's 'questionable'. He's also on the record (in one of the P&G commercials I think) as saying that he  finds it a relief to speak Japanese with his mom when they're at home in Toronto because being surrounded by English all the time is a strain. I'm pretty sure that no matter how much he's improved, he finds English a constant challenge. 

I can relate. Even though Canadians are officially supposed to be bilingual and I understand French well enough to watch TV in the language, if I spend too much time ( more than a couple days) in a purely French environment, my brain gets tired and it makes me really cranky. 

14 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

There was an interview he gave (in 2015 or 2016, maybe?) to a Japanese interviewer (my memory is suggesting it was for Kenji's Room, but I"m not sure) where the interviewer asks him, in English, "How's your English?" and Yuzu replies in Japanese that it's 'questionable'. He's also on the record (in one of the P&G commercials I think) as saying that he  finds it a relief to speak Japanese with his mom when they're at home in Toronto because being surrounded by English all the time is a strain. I'm pretty sure that no matter how much he's improved, he finds English a constant challenge. 

I can relate. Even though Canadians are officially supposed to be bilingual and I understand French well enough to watch TV in the language, if I spend too much time ( more than a couple days) in a purely French environment, my brain gets tired and it makes me really cranky. 

Well I'm learning Japanese and I can't read Kanji.. so I know how hard it is to pick up a 2nd language...

Anyway, so it's like less than a month to ACI and we have Zero data on Yuzu's new programs.. I'm almost speculating it might be something very wacky or out of this world new that no one has ever done before... or... a major warhorse like Carmen... 

6 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Well I'm learning Japanese and I can't read Kanji.. so I know how hard it is to pick up a 2nd language...

Anyway, so it's like less than a month to ACI and we have Zero data on Yuzu's new programs.. I'm almost speculating it might be something very wacky or out of this world new that no one has ever done before... or... a major warhorse like Carmen... 

try www.wanikani.com. I'm using it to learn kanji and it's pretty fun.

As for Yuzu's 2018 programs...honestly I'm feeling a surprise vibe. I think we're going to see something 100% new and fresh from him this time. 

Just now, rockstaryuzu said:

try www.wanikani.com. I'm using it to learn kanji and it's pretty fun.

As for Yuzu's 2018 programs...honestly I'm feeling a surprise vibe. I think we're going to see something 100% new and fresh from him this time. 

He;s most likely experimenting with new genres. Maybe that's why he wants it to be a surprise... and killing us with impatience in the process:space:

5 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

He;s most likely experimenting with new genres. Maybe that's why he wants it to be a surprise... and killing us with impatience in the process:space:

Well, there's no obligation upon him to have media day unless there's a lot of Japanese press asking for it, TBH. And I think he's definitely experimenting. After all, it's a new scoring system, new length, he's fresh off the greatest triumph the sport has ever seen so he can pretty well do as he likes...it's the perfect opportunity to make bold new choices and try new things.