General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, chiachium said:

Just a thought: so Yuzuru has stated multiple times that he doesn't really plan on making any social media, but if he were to make, say, an official Instagram account, how many followers do you think he'd have? I'm curious as to how his follower count/fanbase would compare to other big skaters like Evgenia (700k) or Nathan (300k). 

Yuzu’s fans = infinity and beyond !!! 

:joy:

13 hours ago, chiachium said:

Just a thought: so Yuzuru has stated multiple times that he doesn't really plan on making any social media, but if he were to make, say, an official Instagram account, how many followers do you think he'd have? I'm curious as to how his follower count/fanbase would compare to other big skaters like Evgenia (700k) or Nathan (300k). 

Let's see. Some retired, current, junior skaters & persons in the field + some Japanese/other country's media personnel (for quick lazy or easy news) + mass of Japanese fans + mass of Chinese fans + other fans inside & outside asia + some business networking personnel + personal friends and family + (who else am I missing?) = A LOT.

Though I'm the type of fan that even if I have a social media account I won't follow my faves and would rather get my news through other fans on forums like these so maybe he won't get that many follows if too many fans are like me, lol.

But tbh on a more serious note, he has his reasons to not. For me, this comparing of number of followers is a reason I'd rather he not if it's just another way for skating fandom to get dramatic.

Spoiler

Like the inane obsession over number of followers and who followed who and and why this skater unfollowed this other, or why this skater didn't write a message to pray for this tragedy when they did for this other one that happened, and tagging accounts for random stuff and non-appropriate questions or fanfics; and etc. And tbh it already lowkey is happening. Most recently with Denis's tragedy and people getting on skaters who posted happy pictures following it. I shudder to think about Yuzu's antis and fandom going at it. I know fanyus and yuna fans get a bad rep for writing stuff on other skaters' account. I'd personally hate if Yuzu has to go through stuff like that vice versa because I bet it will happen.

11 hours ago, ruruzest said:

No no no, this is not acceptable!!! :59227c768286a__s:...so all of my time talking to my friends back in Vietnam was in vain !!!  The truth is that in Vietnam the most popular is soccer. Another truth is that Yuzu’s most enthusiastic Vietnamese  fan has moved to USA ( me   :cheer: And this Vietnamese fan really misses Yuzu a lot ! :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffHUs91qid2nw:)One more truth is that the sample survey population may be not unbiased  ! ( Vietnamese fans have several Facebook pages dedicated to Yuzu where I believe there are lots of Vietnamese fans who are in the country)... so many truths ... sorry 

Edit! Thank you to @¯\_(ツ)_/¯  for the correction! Now I feel much better ! :joy:

:sadPooh:

I think this translation is slightly off. I think Kikuchi-san said Yuzu's knee was in a "considerable amount of pain," not that it was "considerably damaged." Little things like this really make me freak out extra hard. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: Would anybody happen to have a link to the alternate translation mentioned? 

ETA SEIMEI today. :)

13 hours ago, Forcefield said:

Let's see. Some retired, current, junior skaters & persons in the field + some Japanese/other country's media personnel (for quick lazy or easy news) + mass of Japanese fans + mass of Chinese fans + other fans inside & outside asia + some business networking personnel + personal friends and family + (who else am I missing?) = A LOT.

Though I'm the type of fan that even if I have a social media account I won't follow my faves and would rather get my news through other fans on forums like these so maybe he won't get that many follows if too many fans are like me, lol.

But tbh on a more serious note, he has his reasons to not. For me, this comparing of number of followers is a reason I'd rather he not if it's just another way for skating fandom to get dramatic.

Hide contents

Like the inane obsession over number of followers and who followed who and and why this skater unfollowed this other, or why this skater didn't write a message to pray for this tragedy when they did for this other one that happened, and tagging accounts for random stuff and non-appropriate questions or fanfics; and etc. And tbh it already lowkey is happening. Most recently with Denis's tragedy and people getting on skaters who posted happy pictures following it. I shudder to think about Yuzu's antis and fandom going at it. I know fanyus and yuna fans get a bad rep for writing stuff on other skaters' account. I'd personally hate if Yuzu has to go through stuff like that vice versa because I bet it will happen.

sorry, didn't mean to be offensive... was just curious:peekapooh:

4 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

No, not at all! It's not uncommon to wonder. I did too! But it's because I've seen the result of the outcome in other places that it makes me worry for no reason. :P

I think it was wise/fortuitous/lucky that he chose right from the start not to go the social media route, for his own reasons (which are no one's business, of course, but why not?), as - now he is insanely popular but also has pretty insane antis - no one questions it.  If he did, and later chose or had to drop it, there would be endless speculation on what caused it. But he's much better off with people just used to the fact that he doesn't and never has.

He's actually very good at protecting the privacy he does have...

I do kinda wish he'd have an official site like Shoma does? Where he/his team could post a message every few months, maybe a couple of photos now and again when he feels like. No comments to deal with, everything under his control, free to abandon and pick up whenever he feels...

9 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I'm sure this has been posted here before but I just wanted to share it.

Yuzu skating freely and that is just beautiful and I don't need anything else. 

I just love watching him skates that's all I ask for.  :sadPooh:

The beginning bit, where he has his white jacket done up, he's doing traditional figures, which skaters were scored on up until the late 80's - early 90's. But he's doing them so fast and smoothly! If you look at old videos of figures being done, you'll see that it's more norm to go quite slowly.

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

I think this translation is slightly off. I think Kikuchi-san said Yuzu's knee was in a "considerable amount of pain," not that it was "considerably damaged." Little things like this really make me freak out extra hard. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: Would anybody happen to have a link to the alternate translation mentioned? 

I think you're right. At worst, pain does imply injury, but IMO, injured is still different from damaged (damaged to me implies something more permanent). Also that "ashi" I took it to mean the whole leg or maybe even both legs, especially since he then goes on to talk about the knee. And I haven't heard of other translations, but I'm not exactly the greatest finder of Yuzu things lol

It's now so... Brian did say it made him nervous that Yuzu was ready for the Olympics in August, but that in the end it was a good thing, because he could fall back on that when he got injured. But knowing he messed up his body already then in order to achieve that... I personally always cringed a bit at how adamant he was about not getting injured in the Olympic Season, like he was jinxing it. He also seemed somehow... dark about it, to me. But in fact, it seems he was sort of injured from the very beginning... I guess that could explain why he seemed dark...

But the thing about "If you win, it's your merit, if you don't, it's my responsibility" is something that would never work with Yuzu, I think. (And it's probably quite far from Brian's own philosophy, where he wants his skaters to own what they do on the ice and take full responsibility for it, even if officially, when required, he will take it on their behalf - see CoC14. The important thing is for them to feel that responsibility.)

1 minute ago, kiches said:

Didn’t Yuzu used to have a website? I remember there was a link of it when I first became a fan after Sochi but it was already down by then, I’m not sure for how long. I believe it was official too. 

He did have a website. You can find it if you search Web Archive. No idea why it was taken down... I'm sure they had their reasons...

Dear Diary,

Today is the 20th of August, the year 2018, also the 42nd day since our Do-S memeface overlord entered his cave in Toronto.

Due to the overflow of content earlier in the off-season, prisoners in captivity (aka fans) were getting used to more information, so the sudden silence from the batcave is decidedly hard to get used to. Really though, older ones should be used to this by now-they've been through what, 4-6 off-seasons of cricket chirps. But sadly, this off-season they're like newbies-moaning and begging for news all the time. And with the chorus of newbies, it seems everyone is slightly going nuts. Note, I really shouldn't say anything since I'm one of the older fans, but even my brain is slightly going anxious and cuckoo.

To be fair, the overlord hasn't gone completely silent (and it's not that unusual). There have been some cryptid sightings earlier on in the quiet days, and god bless little children, even photos where he was spotted smiling into a camera.But alas, after 2 weeks, everything's gone blank. Currently some of us residents in captivity have started more fruitful discussions, like social media presence and hypothesis of his fan count should the overlord decide to get instagram/twitter/facebook etc. But no, those are just tiny, unappetizing junk-food level morsels to chew on before we get the real feast.  But that feast is taking some time- all the while we need to endure thirst while the followers of other overlords (aka skaters) get to celebrate on new program reveals, normal instagram photos, new haircuts. Envious, who us? Of course not, we're used to feeling a smidgen of envy while we survive on old videos and memories (like cacti in the desert living off of stored water resources). Especially since we all agree that for the sake of his privacy, it's best that our overlord remain off of social media.

Desparate, who us? Naturally of course not. And scoff at those other fans, who like happy golden retreivers, jump joyfully at the sightings of haircuts. So easy to satisfy. We'll just content ourselves with 24H TV, even the pre-recorded stuff, while jabbing lazily into munchy snackfoods, clawing at walls, and reminding ourselves that there will be a sumptious feast at the end of this ordeal, because our overlord is a benevolent one in the end. Yes, we're definitely not nutty.

Signed,

I swear I'm actually a do-S,

Xen

Dated: year 6, 4 months and 19 days since captivity into the Hanyu solar system

3 hours ago, CupidsBow said:

I do kinda wish he'd have an official site like Shoma does? Where he/his team could post a message every few months, maybe a couple of photos now and again when he feels like. No comments to deal with, everything under his control, free to abandon and pick up whenever he feels...

I once dreamed of this! Like some celebs don't have social media but they do post random stuff on websites and stuff. 

Maybe ANA can set one up for him someday? Or maybe he will make instagram after landing a Quad Axel hehehe...

13 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

I once dreamed of this! Like some celebs don't have social media but they do post random stuff on websites and stuff. 

Maybe ANA can set one up for him someday? Or maybe he will make instagram after landing a Quad Axel hehehe...

*imagines Yuzu popping up on instagram one day and his first post is: "Hi! I have instagram now! Btw, here's a quad axel! Enjoy!" *

Truth is, in a way I love how popular and successful Yuzu without having SNS, a website, an agency or even actual managers that we know of... It also means he probably has full control of his image and activities, more than he'd have if he had any of those things (he wouldn't have time to keep track of SNS or micromanage a website and an agency or managers would just tell him not to worry his pretty head about things unrelated to skating and make decisions for him). OK, he probably hands a lot of control to his mother, but still. She's his mother, not some stranger.