General Yuzuru Chat

I've just been trying to catch up on this thread and came across a post in which Yuzu is fake-pictured with Misha and Evgenia and I began wondering what the reaction would be if Yuzu and Evgenia paired up, the world's number one lady's and men's skaters.  The Japanese media would go bonkers and I think even the insular American media would take notice (People magazine cover?).  It would be the biggest figure-skating story since the Tonya Harding fiasco.  I know that is not likely to happen but a bit of fantasizing is not inappropriate when the top topic of late has been FANTASY on Ice.

PS - Alexander Plushenko is so totally adorable!!  Is that gold medal he's wearing prophetic?

On 4/27/2018 at 7:46 AM, Sammie said:

Thoughts on this article? I have a lot to say but I’m not good or eloquent enough to express what I feel.  :slinkaway:

I resisted reading this because the previews made my gut twist with anger & disgust, then decided I should read it to be fair... Seemed wrong to reject it with prejudice (what he did to Yuzuru) but now I can honestly report that it was NOT worthwhile. This was too self-absorbed, and not self-reflective enough.

So, it's a blog post on a Catholic website meant to encourage thought & discussion about faith... One man's meditation on envy or other similar unvirtuous feelings he uncovered watching Yuzuru for the first time, I get it. My problem with it is that it's too shallow and he seems to think that his reaction was essentially normal/reasonable... There is a whiff of "white man's privilege" which never sits well with me (mixed race woman), so I'm trying to set aside my feelings about that but it's hard.

Like, if I observed myself wishing failure on a completely unknown person for no apparent reason, I would start by questioning that instead of just going with it. And if I'm telling people about this hateful & confounding reaction in order to share what it's taught me about myself and my beliefs, I would be very, very clear about that! But he's not.

Would help if it was noted that while the writer is describing his own uninformed, irrational feelings at a certain point in time, since then he has learned about Yuzuru's own hardships and blah, blah... Basically emphasizing the author's shortcomings which seems to be the intent, but lazy bad writing makes it look like he's just normalizing or rationalizing these negative, misplaced feelings (I think he is still doing that, but it's not his main point).

Then again, it's addressed to a limited audience of regular readers who are presumably familiar with this person and better able to fill in the blanks about where he's coming from, etc.

It also looks like he researched Tonya Harding a little bit, but not Yuzuru because it didn't fit his narrative. The comparison to Tom Brady is SO off-base... If he had done any research at all that wouldn't be there! I understand that also was simply based on his feelings, but yuck. That might have been the most offensive part for me.

Generally people should form their own opinions, but specifically I don't think anyone needs to read this. It's self-indulgent navel-gazing "inspired" by Yuzuru's performance at the Olympics. There is no considered opinion or judgment of Yuzuru because the writer is only concerned with himself... And then he fails to examine himself in a way that might actually make this valuable to other people. I'm kind of disgusted with myself that I gave it a click!

3 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I've just been trying to catch up on this thread and came across a post in which Yuzu is pictured with Misha and Evgenia and I began wondering what the reaction would be if Yuzu and Evgenia paired up, the world's number one lady's and men's skaters.  The Japanese media would go bonkers and I think even the insular American media would take notice (People magazine cover?).  It would be the biggest figure-skating story since the Tonya Harding fiasco.  I know that is not likely to happen but a bit of fantasizing is not inappropriate when the top topic of late has been FANTASY on Ice.

LOL I doubt Yuzu would do well with a partner. He seems to work best when he can focus on himself and, not to belittle Zhenia, but her presence would be drowned by Yuzu‘s... aside from the fact that they have vastly different styles, to put it nicely. They would be a pretty unbalanced match 

1 minute ago, robin said:

LOL I doubt Yuzu would do well with a partner. He seems to work best when he can focus on himself and, not to belittle Zhenia, but her presence would be drowned by Yuzu‘s... aside from the fact that they have vastly different styles, to put it nicely. They would be a pretty unbalanced match 

I think Zhenya is too slow for him as a partner, as are her spins. So Yuzu would have to slow down so she can keep up, which would be sad...

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I think Zhenya is too slow for him as a partner, as are her spins. So Yuzu would have to slow down so she can keep up, which would be sad...

Yes. To be considerate of her he would have to tone down so many things, not just speed. It‘s honestly pointless to imagine them working as a pair

10 minutes ago, robin said:

I'm talking about romantic partner not figure-skating.  Yuzu is much too small to be a skating partner and you need to have real upper body strength.  There's a reason all the pairs and dance men are big and strong.  You have to have upper-body strength to throw those ladies around like they do and you have to have height to lift those ladies off the ice.

4 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I'm talking about romantic partner not figure-skating.  Yuzu is much too small to be a skating partner and you need to have real upper body strength.  There's a reason all the pairs and dance men are big and strong.  You have to have upper-body strength to throw those ladies around like they do and you have to have height to lift those ladies off the ice.

Spoiler

I don't think shipping is allowed here :peekapooh:

18 minutes ago, LadySnowblood said:

I resisted reading this because the previews made my gut twist with anger & disgust, then decided I should read it to be fair... Seemed wrong to reject it with prejudice (what he did to Yuzuru) but now I can honestly report that it was NOT worthwhile. This was too self-absorbed, and not self-reflective enough.

So, it's a blog post on a Catholic website meant to encourage thought & discussion about faith... One man's meditation on envy or other similar unvirtuous feelings he uncovered watching Yuzuru for the first time, I get it. My problem with it is that it's too shallow and he seems to think that his reaction was essentially normal/reasonable... There is a whiff of "white man's privilege" which never sits well with me (mixed race woman), so I'm trying to set aside my feelings about that but it's hard.

Like, if I observed myself wishing failure on a completely unknown person for no apparent reason, I would start by questioning that instead of just going with it. And if I'm telling people about this hateful & confounding reaction in order to share what it's taught me about myself and my beliefs, I would be very, very clear about that! But he's not.

Would help if it was noted that while the writer is describing his own uninformed, irrational feelings at a certain point in time, since then he has learned about Yuzuru's own hardships and blah, blah... Basically emphasizing the author's shortcomings which seems to be the intent, but lazy bad writing makes it look like he's just normalizing or rationalizing these negative, misplaced feelings (I think he is still doing that, but it's not his main point).

Then again, it's addressed to a limited audience of regular readers who are presumably familiar with this person and better able to fill in the blanks about where he's coming from, etc.

It also looks like he researched Tonya Harding a little bit, but not Yuzuru because it didn't fit his narrative. The comparison to Tom Brady is SO off-base... If he had done any research at all that wouldn't be there! I understand that also was simply based on his feelings, but yuck. That might have been the most offensive part for me.

Generally people should form their own opinions, but specifically I don't think anyone needs to read this. It's self-indulgent navel-gazing "inspired" by Yuzuru's performance at the Olympics. There is no considered opinion or judgment of Yuzuru because the writer is only concerned with himself... And then he fails to examine himself in a way that might actually make this valuable to other people. I'm kind of disgusted with myself that I gave it a click!

It's a piece of self indulgent navel gazing - ignore it .

8 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Excuse-me :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, micaelis said:

It's meant as a joke.

Considering the age difference between the Evgenia and Yuzu and the fact that there are people who really ship them and don’t mean it as a joke it might not be received as funny among fans. 

13 minutes ago, robin said:

Considering the age difference between the Evgenia and Yuzu and the fact that there are people who really ship them and don’t mean it as a joke it might not be received as funny among fans. 

Well, the age difference even doesn't matter in love. What matters is they're just friends. At least that is what they want to show in public.