General Yuzuru Chat

14 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: It was awfully nice of the man!
I know it's a long shot and probably no FaOI but even if so, this was so good, that it'll definitely help us survive the summer drought, or at least until August! 

A good watering/flood before the drought, the cacti will survive.

(but what if there is no full-on summer drought this year?)

2 hours ago, yude said:

Sorry if this has been already posted, some parts are overlapped with other translations but this article has some more words from Yuzuru.

"Now I still have feeling of accomplishment of winning back to back, but after doing ice shows, (I think) I am still lack of something as a competitive skater. I would like to pursuit what I want to master and improve, and I want to be a skater whose skating is liked more."

"I want to do 4A no one has done before, and if I came to be able to do that, I would like to try quintuple jump. No one has done it yet and I think the impact on the foot (feet?) is great. I don't think I can do it easily, but I wish I could land it someday after having many practices."

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/04/26/0011200911.shtml

About the question about Beijing Olympics, I feel Japanese public will keep asking him the same question like a greeting phrase as long as he competes, so I hope he will not take them very seriously (and I will also try not to pay attention to that question :biggrin: )

OMG, how are we supposed to like his skating more?!  I freaking live for it already!  I don't think he's going to stop until I -- an aging woman with sagging skin -- get a full body tattoo of Semei!

55 minutes ago, Sammie said:

to the fruit/veggie obsessed part of our fandom 

@SparkleSalad 👀👀👀👀

King of silhouets. Pretty sure he was even around the 2015 GPF podium!

Spoiler

I need an image makeover. I never thought I'd be known as the fruit lady. Cat lady - definitely. Bag lady - way ahead of you.

Guys, I need a proper off-season. I still have 6 months of emotions I need to process and there's a big banana convention coming to town.

3 hours ago, Floria said:

Ever since he mentioned landing 4A as his next goal in one of post-PC interviews I have had almost no doubts that he will compete again, but I am glad he confirmed it at CWW.  I am very excited about what he will offer now that he is free from the burden of defending his Olympic title. It is not just about the 4A, there was something different in his skating already in the Olympic SP, some new quality, but I don't know how to put it into words. There was confidence that I have never seen in him before. 

He's finally admitted to himself that he's the greatest. He's far surpassed his own teachers. All of them. He's realizing that it isn't arrogant for him to break new ground. He's really excited about his own skating. And now that he's wearing the crown, he's ready to rule. We should expect him to create new signature moves some day. He's also realized - as have we - that he's a natural showman. He's so engaging that I could listen to him talk and laugh with the crowd for hours and never mind that I don't understand a word he says. He's going to be the Boss - the man other skaters come to get a job. He will be a kind and gentle ruler - His Majesty, the Benevolent Yuzu.  CiONTU

26 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

King of silhouets. Pretty sure he was even around the 2015 GPF podium!

Hide contents

I need an image makeover. I never thought I'd be known as the fruit lady. Cat lady - definitely. Bag lady - way ahead of you.

Guys, I need a proper off-season. I still have 6 months of emotions I need to process and there's a big banana convention coming to town.

Spoiler

Lady? Who said lady? :P 

Random thought: I would like to see Mr Hanyu skate to something like “Earned It” by the Weekend. The entire song would be too slow, but it would be different, and it would take a person of great self assurance, natural sensuality and seamless fluidity to pull it off and right now, IMO, he’s got it all.  And in UA. 

Ill see myself out...:slinkaway:

15 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

Random thought: I would like to see Mr Hanyu skate to something like “Earned It” by the Weekend. The entire song would be too slow, but it would be different, and it would take a person of great self assurance, natural sensuality and seamless fluidity to pull it off and right now, IMO, he’s got it all.  And in UA. 

Ill see myself out...:slinkaway:

OT but James/Cipres used it for their SP this past season. 

Spoiler

I've finally sort of caught up on this thread (and sleep a bit; some 35 hours passed between leaving my hotel in Tokyo and arriving home >_<). So before my next flight, quick impressions from Madame Tussaud and comments on what I remember seeing discussed in the thread.

So, because I had some time to kill, I decided to go to Madame Tussaud after all. To those who haven't been there, Yuzu is right near the entrance (first there's Bruce Willis in the elevator, Leonardo DiCaprio immediately after, then the 'political room', then you turn the corner and find the sports area and Yuzu is immediately on the right.

Generally, I thought the status look a bit better in reality than in pictures - as in, if you look closely, they look more like who they're supposed to be, from some angles at least. I think part of why they generally look bad is because some people just need to be animated to truly look good. And also, I remember once finding some pictures of a musician I like and I almost didn't recognize him at first. I'm not sure if it was the angles or what, but he looked very different, so it made me think how sometimes in media we only see some angles and some images where they look most like their best known image. So it could be the statues end up emphasizing more the angles and such we don't see. But that's still a bit of a failure on the makers' part lol. (IMO, Mao's statue looked much better, but that could be because hers was in motion and even the pose was a motion was, so in a way it was  harder to analyze too closely)

Overall, yes, Yuzu is super slim. That waist is to die for, but his legs in that are very slim, too. Height wise, I was probably right and I'd maybe reach his nose lol What surprised me was that his hands were smaller than I expected lol.

I tried taking a selfie, but honestly, I couldn't decide who looked worse, me or him, so I'm keeping that to myself lol (There was an ojisan salaryman who had his picture taken crawling between Yuzu's legs which was... interesting; I was trying really hard not to look too closely, though >_>)

As for the topics here, I've said it many times. The NHK fall was not because of the 4Lz. It just so happened that it occurred during the 4Lz, but he's probably fallen while jumping that dozens of times that we don't know of. However, because Lz, Lo and F put a lot of pressure on the right ankle because of the take off, I think the future of 4Lz (more so than 4Lo, because that is already pretty stable), depends on the state of his ankle. It's not even because of the NHK injury, but because that ankle has taken a lot of pummeling over the years (he's had it sprained how many times? Three? More?). So there might be some semi-permanent damage. Nothing bad enough to prevent him from skating, but he might have to always be careful with it. And intensively training 4Lz might go against that. I hope it's not the case, but only he knows (and we might find out only at some point in the future). However, it's also possible, that like with his left foot issue (my brain is still too tired to remember what that was called right now), he might simply have to switch focus from quantity to quality. He said his toeloop became as super stable as it is, because he had to not jump it as much. So he focused on its quality and the few times he jumped it being good, instead of jumping lots. The same will probably happen with the 4Lo. Whether the 4Lz is at a level where that will work as well or not, we don't know. It could be. Or it could not be.

So, basically, IMO, it's a wait and see. I'm sure he'll want it back, but I'm also looking forward to the Yuzuru Hanyu who will choose choreography for his programs to fit his aesthetics, rather than with scoring in mind. Though I doubt he'll be able to completely put it out of mind lol He'll still want to win. I think he'll just be willing to sacrifice a lot less than before, in order to win.

As for 4A, I also tend to think he wouldn't speak of it like this if he hadn't already made some progress (there have been hints he's been working on it, after all), but I can't really imagine when... summer of 2016 was mostly a race to recovery. Summer of 2015 was to stabilize 4Lo and Summer of 2017 was to stabilize 4Lz. Aside from programs and ice shows. But it could be he did some 4A in between. I guess we'll see... (One of my biggest concerns is I won't recognize it when it happens lol His 3A already almost looks like a quad to my untrained eyes, so yeah...)

I do think it's funny how last year this time we were all "OMG Nessie!" and not seriously believing it was a possibility in the near future, but now that he openly mentioned it, we're counting down the days and it feels a lot less like a myth lol I guess after that, quints will be next...

(Also, I'd like to point out that if Yuzu is determined to try Nessie and even quints, but is not sure about Beijing, his estimate is that it'll take somewhat less than 4 years for those...)

Oh and since someone pointed out quints don't have points, I wonder, VERY HYPOTHETICALLY, if he mastered a 5T, for example, if he might not, in his current 'just skate what I want to skate' mindframe, jump it anyway, if it fit in the aesthetics of the program, even if it doesn't get points... but that sounds a bit like fiction just yet, still lol