General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Catching up...

I wouldn't worry too much about Yuzu this season guys.

Some factoids:
- So far in the GPs Yuzu has the highest PCS in SP and FS and he wasn't even clean.
- Yuzu also got the most GOE awarded in the FS

- While it's a bit early to really say Shoma has a trend going since it's only his 3rd senior season... While Yuzuru tends to do pretty bad his first 2 events and then do really well at GPF and Worlds Shoma so far tends to do well at his GP events and then do not-so-great at GPF and Nationals. 

- Yuzuru shows continuous growth from season to season. The only season he didn't show much growth was 14-15 and he bounced back from that tremendously. Last season he also didn't have (much of) an increase in his averages for GOE, PCS and average total score but is already showing bounce-back from that.

- Yuzuru average GOEs for almost every jump are higher than Shoma's and Yuzuru has the downside here of me using data from 2010 onward. 

Is Shoma/Nathan/Boyang a threat? Sure. But. No more than Javier :shrug:  For someone getting labelled as being consistent, Shoma does not have higher jump consistency than Yuzuru. Even last season the only jump of Yuzuru's below 60% consistency was the 4S3T. Shoma has 5 jumps and combos under 50% for positive GOE compared to Yuzuru's 3 (excluding jumps that he doesn't use anymore or only attempted once). Shoma has a good momentum right now but I really worry about him peaking too soon or burning himself out. I guess we'll see how it goes but regardless Yuzuru doesn't need to rely on Shoma or anyone else doing badly, he just needs to do well and....rotate his jumps. :laughing: 

Shoma is def getting some PCS fluffing but there's only so much hey can do with that. With all the top men in the same competition, it would be really hard to justify scoring anyone's PCS over Yuzuru's (unless he totally bombs but we're past the point where Yuzuru typically does that). Yuzu might not have the younger dudes on BV but he has them on GOE and PCS and the BV gap is not big enough for them to sneak ahead of him if Yuzuru skates clean by even the most generous of definitions.

I should have guessed that I’d find the spreadsheeting and trends and gleaning of info one of the most fascinating aspects of this sport when I started watching. :rofl:

Just now, cirelle said:

I should have guessed that I’d find the spreadsheeting and trends and gleaning of info one of the most fascinating aspects of this sport when I started watching. :rofl:

I hate maths but boy has this sport got me real interested in numbers and spreadsheeting lmao

2 hours ago, CupidsBow said:

Shoma is def getting some PCS fluffing but there's only so much hey can do with that. With all the top men in the same competition, it would be really hard to justify scoring anyone's PCS over Yuzuru's (unless he totally bombs but we're past the point where Yuzuru typically does that). Yuzu might not have the younger dudes on BV but he has them on GOE and PCS and the BV gap is not big enough for them to sneak ahead of him if Yuzuru skates clean by even the most generous of definitions.

Interestingly, Yuzu actually has the highest BV layout attempted this season. His planned 5-quad layout is 111.26. Shoma's 5-quad layout at Lombardia is 109.09. Nathan's 6-quad one at worlds is 112.87. So even in the BV aspect, Yuzu is not letting anyone take much advantage either.

(Of course, we have to consider that 1)Yuzu hasn't come very near to executing this layout yet, and 2)the others have Schrodinger's layouts and could attempt 6-7 quads with more in the second half. But nobody has succeeded in landing 6 quads in a program yet, either. I think it's a good thing that Yuzu has his layout more or less fixed earlier than the others. This way he'll have more time to stabilize. Just quit popping plz.)

Just now, PomeloPooh said:

Interestingly, Yuzu actually has the highest BV layout attempted this season. His planned layout is 111.26. Shoma's 5-quad layout at Lombardia is 109.09. Nathan's 6-quad one at worlds is 112.87. So even in the BV aspect, Yuzu is not letting anyone take much advantage either.

(Of course, we have to consider that 1)Yuzu hasn't come very near to executing this layout yet, and 2)the others have Schrodinger's layouts and could attempt 6-7 quads with more in the second half. But nobody has succeeded in landing 6 quads in a program yet, either. I think it's a good thing that Yuzu has his layout more or less fixed earlier than the others. This way he'll have more time to stabilize. Just quit popping plz.)

Yeah, depends what they do later on for their layouts but Yuzuru is certainly not relying on anything and he has time to get his 4lz stable and 4lo back to where it was last season. Yuzuru's definitely isn't leaving anything to chance. 

7 hours ago, meoima said:

gave a person who knows nothing of skating the top guys videos (their best performances) and that lady replies Yuzuru has the best jumps, performances overall.

I did similar with my sister who is not an Figure Skating  fan (though may become one!!) - she was in no doubt that Yuzuru was the best skater - she also saw his and Nathan's CoR performances and wondered how Nathan could have scored more than Yuzuru!  Let's get her on the judges panel LOL!!!! :knc_brian2: :xD: 

1 hour ago, CupidsBow said:

- Yuzu also got the most GOE awarded in the FS

(...)

Yuzu might not have the younger dudes on BV but he has them on GOE and PCS and the BV gap is not big enough for them to sneak ahead of him if Yuzuru skates clean by even the most generous of definitions.

I think overrall, yes, but this season Shoma's Lombardia FS GOEs are still ahead, though surprisingly Nathan and Yuzu's faulty FS at COR still scored around 13 GOE too, despite the much lower BV.

Also surprisingly, if Shoma sticks with the 4S, Yuzu will have higher FS BV than he does. Actually, he'd have the second highest BV after Nathan's 5-6 quads. Of course, higher BV doesn't mean anything if you can't, you know, not pop stuff. :facepalm: Work on that, Zuzu. 

Edit: I see Pomeloh already said something similar. 

5 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I think overrall, yes, but this season Shoma's Lombardia FS GOEs are still ahead, though surprisingly Nathan and Yuzu's faulty FS at COR still scored around 13 GOE too, despite the much lower BV.

Also surprisingly, if Shoma sticks with the 4S, Yuzu will have higher FS BV than he does. Actually, he'd have the second highest BV after Nathan's 5-6 quads. Of course, higher BV doesn't mean anything if you can't, you know, not pop stuff. :facepalm: Work on that, Zuzu. 

Edit: I see Pomeloh already said something similar. 

He's learning to pop into triples.. it's a bit of progress :biggrin:

8 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Oh I thought I was clear saying specifically in the GP events so far. But even with Lombardia factored in Shoma's GOE was just 0.71 points higher than Yuzuru's Rostelecom FS. And Yuzuru had 2 PCS over him.

But yeah Yuzuru just needs to avoid pops. but it's easier said than done.

8 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Oh I thought I was clear saying specifically in the GP events so far. But even with Lombardia factored in Shoma's GOE was just 0.71 points higher than Yuzuru's Rostelecom FS. And Yuzuru had 2 PCS over him.

But yeah Yuzuru just needs to avoid pops. but it's easier said than done.

Sorry, I slept super badly this night, I probably didn't read properly. I'm half catching up on stuff and half preparing to leave. 

After SC, though, I don't even want to update my GOE table for Patrick... :sadPooh:

1 hour ago, CupidsBow said:

Yeah, depends what they do later on for their layouts but Yuzuru is certainly not relying on anything and he has time to get his 4lz stable and 4lo back to where it was last season. Yuzuru's definitely isn't leaving anything to chance. 

I remember the time during off season where we were saying:

Us: It's okay! he doesn't need that extra quad

Us: But he should have it to be safe

Us: The quaestors tho..

Us: But no one beat 2015 Yuzu yet..

Now fast forward to start of season.. 

ACL: lowers the quads

COR: Added a quad

Us: Still the same worries as off season :rofl:

Gosh the roller coaster ride is never ending :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: