General Yuzuru Chat

Okay, so I did a simultaneous translation of the last part of the podcast (now they're answering fan questions) - I'll listen the rest when the episode finishes, for now this is a quick summary of what they said about Yuzuru versus Shoma:

- both Hanyu and Shoma started out strong (Hanyu obtained a world record in SP, Shoma obtained personal best at Lombardia Trophy)

- Shoma's 4Flip doesn't have a step before it, but a choreographic movement. He showed the final program at Lombardia trophy. 

- Hanyu's FS and SP weren't final. (Angelo thinks Hanyu should stick with 4Salchow, because it takes more points, and Hanyu is more relaxed. "Even like this, it's the SP that you have to beat"). Hanyu gets +9 points thanks to his +3 GOE on every jump. SE before and after a jump, counter before another jump. Very high quality.

- Shoma got better on the 3A only recently. It's his best jump right now. His jump 'preceded by step' is not as high quality as Hanyu's. (Angelo adds, 'like everyone else's'. Yuzuru is the only one who is able to insert such difficult steps and transitions between elements. So he is unbeatable in the short program. He has been since 3-4 years.). Shoma's step before the 4Flip is just a hint, although he does SE before 3A.

- Hanyu's SP last season was very difficult. Spectacular. Potentially, the best SP in the season. 

- Both Hanyu and Shoma placed the combo in the second half. Hanyu trains 4Loop and 4Lutz as first jump. He could also think about moving all the jumping passes in the second half of the Program. In this case, the quadruple would be the Salchow. Because he has no problem doing quadruples after 2.30 minutes of skating, as seen in the Free. (Angelo says this would mean changing the coreography, though, so it's something to consider). 

- Even with the layout done at ACI in the SP, Hanyu's SP is still unreachable (in quality, not scores). The only one who might reach the overall quality is Patrick Chan, who has problems delivering. Also Patrick has problems with the 3A's quality. 

- Both Angelo and Max think that Hanyu's SP, even simplified, is unreachable in absolute. 

- Shoma's strong point is in his control of his upper body movements. He is in the top 3 in the world. Angelo and Max can see he is trying to improve with one-foot skating. In the SP, they can see he is trying more one-foot skated movements. His Step Sequence is amazing. Both Hanyu's and Shoma's programs are beautiful. Shoma's music is new, but commercial. Conservative. Hanyu's music is brilliant, but already heard because it's an old program. 

- Yuzuru's SP last season was a jewel, but it wasn't understood by judges and FS fans. His scores last season probably made him think a lot.

- Nathan's potential program with 7 quadruples and one 3A couldn't even be imagined three years ago, but Nathan proved he can do it. (Angelo and Max appreciate him very much)

- Yuzuru skated badly at ACI (in the FS), but: he did a 4 toe-loop as last jump. That means athletic preparation has become fundamental in figure skating. 

- Max invites everyone to see Boyang's programs and see what he does with his feet - he is a Mr. Skater (he has very good skating skills, although his upper body can be improved). 

13 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Okay, so I did a simultaneous translation of the last part of the podcast (now they're answering fan questions) - I'll listen the rest when the episode finishes, for now this is a quick summary of what they said about Yuzuru versus Shoma:

:2thumbsup:

Poor Javi. Unless you just didn't get to a part about him. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:

But always the undermentioned one of the "uncles" as Boyang is also the undermentioned one of the sQuad, but glad he's brought up here.

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

I'm annoyed at some FS fans who dismiss Max (and Angelo) because they are Yuzu fans (a trend that's been happening for a while now... if you're a Yuzu fan then your opinion doesn't matter or you're just bashing). But reading this (and their previous podcast translations), they give compliments where compliments are due to other skaters and base most opinions on facts. Also, when stating their own personal opinion they clearly state that it's their own opinion and invite people to comment so that they can have a discussion.

Sorry for the rant. haha.. it's just that as soon as Max announced that the 2nd episode has a Yuzu vs Shoma segment, people are already quick to criticise it even before hearing/reading what Max and Angelo have to say because they immediately presume that's it's gonna be a bashing Shoma episode.

ETA: While I do not like the Yuzu vs Shoma narrative that has been popping up and encouraged by JPN media, it is inevitable what with Shoma clearly stating that his goal is to beat Yuzu.

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

it is inevitable what with Shoma clearly stating that his goal is to beat Yuzu.

And while some may find this tactless, I actually find Shoma clearly stating his goal is to beat Yuzu to be quite flattering (to Yuzu)...Shoma is saying his goal isn't to win competitions, not even the OGM, no, beating Yuzu is actually the bigger goal here :laughing:

It doesn't make for friendly media coverage though.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

And while some may find this tactless, I actually find Shoma clearly stating his goal is to beat Yuzu to be quite flattering (to Yuzu)...Shoma is saying his goal isn't to win competitions, not even the OGM, no, beating Yuzu is actually the bigger goal here :laughing:

It doesn't make for friendly media coverage though.

Oh definitely. Shoma has said many times he wants to bring his skating to a level where people can't be sure who would win between him and Yuzuru and is forever saying he's not there yet, because he recognises Yuzuru as the best. It might sound kind of aggressive but it's purely out of reverence.